Tenancy renewal fees - yay or nay?

Caporegime
OP
Done this with my tenants. Rolling contract since 2012. No issues so far though. I've no issue with a nominal fee being charged annually for example upto £25.

My landlady is about 85 and has obviously been stung in the past. And the agents have somehow managed to convince her to keep it. Not because money obvs.

Soldato
I dont get it - I rent out my house and whenever the tenancy is renewed my management company charge me (about £175 - which I have always found a bit steep as its just to print off the paperwork!!)

The answer is to not use the management company, why dont you just let directly?

You know they just leechers, £175 to print of a tenancy agreement. I am surprised LA's remain so popular.

This change of law is long overdue although it has been watered down a bit and not equal to what scotland and wales have I believe a few fee's will still be legal.

Associate
There are exceptions to most rules.

In response to your question - in their own flats or houses or in social housing?

Not everyone is eligible for social housing. I certainly am not (not that I would even entertain that) and not everyone can afford their own property. That leaves landlords being a very important part of the housing stock in the this country. If you went to mainland Europe you would find that renting is far more prevalent than here in the UK as we are obsessed with getting "on the ladder". I myself am a Landlord, but I am actually currently renting the home I live in which suits me fine with my current circumstances.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with obbession to buy I don't think. Unless you need to , why line agents and someone's else's bank account ?
I have rented it's dead money and estate agents charge stupid fees for 2mins work.
Good luck to anybody wanting there full deposit back.

Soldato
Sorry, am I right in understanding that you've lived in this rented place for 10 years and they're charging a fee to extend another year? Never head of that, personally.
Can you just go onto a periodic? That should have no fees?
I've let out a few properties and also rented multiple times before. As either a landlord or a tenant, I've only had to pay when a new tenant moves in or I've moved into a place. Most switch to a periodic once the intial 6 months lease is up.

Stuff like this gives good agents and landlords a bad reputation. I suspect the landlady doesn't see any of that £630 or even know you're being charged again to continue living there in addition to the rent you already pay.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with obbession to buy I don't think. Unless you need to , why line agents and someone's else's bank account ?
I have rented it's dead money and estate agents charge stupid fees for 2mins work.
Good luck to anybody wanting there full deposit back.

The issue is it has led to a situation where there is an assumption made that we just have to look after the buyers market and private rental is seen as an afterthought when it comes to legislation etc. This new law is about 15 years overdue.

Of course the sensible option is to buy instead of rent, but I doubt everyone who rents privately is doing it out of choice.

Caporegime
OP
The plot thickens!

Today I saw £210 deducted from our account. I can find no mention of renewal fees in our contract. They emailed me an invoice for £210 and naturally I ignored it. The only info about this I can find is in the email the invoice was attached to:

(Can't copy for whatever reason, screenshot):

pGBMtV5_d.jpg

Neither my wife nor myself have given and consent to this, pretty sure that makes it illegal.

I want to go for the jugular now, I've jad it with this bottom feeding scum.

Question is: do I have a leg to stand on?

Commissario
You'd need to speak to a solicitor for proper advice, but one thing to check - did they provide you with a copy of the Direct Debit Guarantee?

Soldato
Name and shame, name and shame.

Estate Agents and Landlords are crooks.

ps - shouldn't this thread be moved to Homes & Gardens?

I know many many many estate agents and no, they aren’t all crooks.

Some are of course.

I deal with them daily and there are some exceptionally hard working and honest individuals in estate agency - don’t tar them all with the same brush.

I’m not an estate agent for the record.

Capodecina
Soldato
I know many many many estate agents and no, they aren’t all crooks.

Some are of course.

I deal with them daily and there are some exceptionally hard working and honest individuals in estate agency - don’t tar them all with the same brush.

I’m not an estate agent for the record.
There are always rare exceptions that prove the rule ;)

For the record, I’m no longer a tenant but I do have a lot of experience of both landlords and estate agents.

Back
Top Bottom