Terry Pratchett dies :(

Associate
Soldato
I think this sums up Terry Pratchett as well.

All his unfinished works run over by steam roller, before being fed into a concrete crusher just to be sure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-41093066
I think it's a shame to be honest. Wouldn't want the works to be 'finished by someone else' as TP was concerned about. But seeing the odds and ends might have been rather good.

Soldato
Commissario
I think this sums up Terry Pratchett as well.

All his unfinished works run over by steam roller, before being fed into a concrete crusher just to be sure.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-41093066
I saw the tweet about doing it the other day and it gave me a bit of a sad smile.

It's both a very TP thing to do (his comments on literary researchers spring to mind) as he used to delete all the early drafts once a book was finished, and the idea of using a steam roller to do it makes me smile, but I'm also a little sad as it's a reminder we'll never see more of his work :(
It seems he really didn't want to have the situation of us seeing "Terry Pratchett's....." in the same way there are a load of books "based on the unfinished manuscript by X" still coming out years after some authors deaths.

Soldato
That's a totally Terry Pratchett thing to do. I think it's sad though too, would have been nice for his fans and the people who loved him to see his unfinished works published in some way.

I grew up in Discworld, spent my days with Corporal Carrot, Vimes, Rincewind, Granny WeatherWax, Nanny Ogg, The Luggage, Cohen and all the rest of them. I have every one of his books. I would have bought these unfinished books too.

David Gemmell and Terry Pratchett, RIP. Two of my favourite authors, taken from us way too early with so much still to write.

Caporegime
Yeah on one hand I'd be very curious about his unfinished works, but it is amusing and fitting to see his wish re: the hard drive being carried out. If that is what he wanted then it would have been completely wrong for anyone to go against those wishes.

Qel

Qel

Associate
Good that they respected his wishes rather than trying to make more money out of it as I'm sure they could easily have done.

Soldato
Really not sure how i missed this... As far as i knew he was ill with alzeimers but didnt realise he'd died over two years ago.

Associate
Yep, she said she'd leave the books the way he made them & would go her own route.
She's done some writing for games etc already, so off to a good start.

Soldato
Shame other authors didn't think of this, like Frank Herbert leaving in his will that his son should be steamrollered if he ever attempted to finish his works, in conjunction with that anderson fool.
Left us with two many books to end an otherwise lovely saga.
Of course they also went back and did backstory books, which too were awful, but I can forgive as they were different stories.

Hunters and sandworms of dune are a disgrace to the saga.

I am sad I will never see another Culture novel, but Banks would be the only man who could write such.

Much better to go the Prachett route.

Back
Top Bottom