Terry Pratchett dies :(

Commissario
Thanks for the report Bickaxe, that sounds like the sort of memorial that I suspect TP would have wanted.

It's sad that there are more nearly complete books/works that won't see the light of day, but also in some ways good, as when a book gets completed after an authors death it's always such a gamble and never really hits the same level as when it was finished by the author.

It's good to hear that there will be more TV/Film adaptations of his works, and it sounds rather like (what I know of him) for Terry to have made arrangements for projects to get done after his death and to have prepared for it.

And a lovely touch to have a memento package for attendees.

Really need to start colour of magic one day, looks a great series.

You lucky person, I always found the first reading of any of the Discworld books was a real treat, and wish I could read them for the first time again.

Having said that The Colour of Magic, and The Light Fantastic were not as good as the later books where Pterry had really got his wind and developed his style (and world).
It would almost be tempting to say start at "Guards, Guards" (the watch and Witches were probably my favourite groups of characters), but if you do start at COM remember the style gets more polished.

I've been rereading all the discworld books over the last few months and loving them again.

Associate
I too was at the memorial. Absolutely incredible night, glad I could be there.

I reckon that Wyrd Sisters makes a good starting point for many people, or Guards Guards.

Soldato
Having said that The Colour of Magic, and The Light Fantastic were not as good as the later books where Pterry had really got his wind and developed his style (and world).
It would almost be tempting to say start at "Guards, Guards" (the watch and Witches were probably my favourite groups of characters), but if you do start at COM remember the style gets more polished.

Agreed. I'd go as far to say don't start with the Colour of Magic. Guards Guards is a great place to begin. Either that or the first Death book.

Caporegime
hmmm IIRC some of the steps needed to complete that game (or maybe the Discworld 2 game) really were a bit obscure

Commissario
hmmm IIRC some of the steps needed to complete that game (or maybe the Discworld 2 game) really were a bit obscure

You mean you didn't work out that you needed the caviar from the fishmonger to get the octopus, to put in the privy prior to giving the prunes to the fishmonger so he'd have to go to the loo, get attacted by the octopus, allowing you to reach under the door to get his buckle which would allow you to gain access to the secret society?

Associate
You mean you didn't work out that you needed the caviar from the fishmonger to get the octopus, to put in the privy prior to giving the prunes to the fishmonger so he'd have to go to the loo, get attacted by the octopus, allowing you to reach under the door to get his buckle which would allow you to gain access to the secret society?

kek. Arms sir, arms for the poor.

Caporegime

LOL yup :D

I remember using the school photocopier one lunchtime to copy parts of a guide a friend had... I mean some of it was fun but there were certainly a few parts like that where I was completely stumped

Soldato
Great news about Good Omens and The Watch, I'm practically bouncing with excitement now - I'm something of a Pratchett fan, my username hints towards that and was originally Ridcully before the great cull of OcUK in 2002. :D

Soldato
I highly recommend the book "A Slip of the Keyboard". I was expecting quite a dry tome but it's an absolutely sparkling collection of TP's non fiction writing and speeches from over the years. It's as if the man himself is sitting next to you talking away.

Soldato
Another thread dredge but seemed the best place to pop this..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08fjlvx/terry-pratchett-back-in-black

Terry Pratchett - Back in Black

When the writer Sir Terry Pratchett died in 2015, he was working on one last story - his own. But Terry's Alzheimer's meant he never got to finish it.

This poignant and humorous film starring Paul Kaye as Terry finally tells the story of this hugely popular author, creator of Discworld, whose books have sold over 85 million copies worldwide. Back in Black reveals Terry's road to success was not always easy, from his troubled schooldays to being dismissed by literary critics, to his battle with Alzheimer's. But knighted by the Queen, adored by millions of fans and with a legacy of 41 much-loved novels - Terry Pratchett is still having the last laugh.

Soldato
Love Pratchett, have all of his books, most in at least 3 different versions. I watched this, extremely sad to think that we will never have more wit and wisdom from the great man. Had a few tears in my eyes just like when he passed, he seemed to be able to be able to articulate what everyone thinks, in a way that resonates with us all one way or another.

Looks like I will just read all of his books over and over again, I don't know who else to read haha

Back
Top Bottom