Tesco-branded software

Associate
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5396488.stm
Would you buy these? They likely won't actually be made by Tesco, of course - they'll probably just lisence existing software packages (some of which many of us may already be using) and rebrand them, but, even so, why would anyone buy a Tesco-branded AV when you can get extremely good AV software as freeware for home users? Obviously there's a large number of people who aren't computer-savvy and wouldn't know where to get Avast or AVG or any of the others, but would they be a big enough market to make this worth Tesco's while? Or are they aiming for small businesses, who can't use freeware as most of them are for home or educational use only, but don't want to splash out on expensive software packages?

Man of Honour
I expect they'll be added to Tesco broadband or advertised for use with tesco broadband.

Anyone who is computer savvy will get free stuff. But for the majority who no nothing. It's a big firm, so they'll buy it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Free stuff out there does a better job than pay for software, lol.

Adaware
Spybot (with teatimer enabled)
AVAST (with standard shield only enabled)
CCleaner

And as a 2nd opinion Trend Online

Nothing more is needed.

Man of Honour
LoadsaMoney said:
Id edit that out now then as its a competitor PMSL. :D :D

All the ppl in this thread breaking the no competitor rule!!!. :eek:

Good point...bit weird.

I don't mind Tesco doing this because it'll keep the price rock bottom. Whether it's any good or not, well, I suppose it will have to be...

Soldato
I can't even see in this remotely doing well. Obviously they'll have to promote the software towards their stores, prolly by ads I guess. I don't think they realise how competitive the market is for software.

Associate
tesco have a unique edge in that through their supermarkets they have 31% of all uk spending in that sector already so they have a huge potential customer base with some level of brand loyalty, coupled with a growing prevalence of households owning a computer and an internet connection i wouldn't be surprised if they did well out of this venture.

A lot of people in these forums are reasonably technophilic (is that a word? :p ) and forget that in terms of market size we are a small population though we still judge things by our own set of criteria. Tesco no doubt are aiming at the less technologically aware consumer (such as they do with their voip range) and in that respect they are in no way disadvantaged as some might think compared with the more established brand names.

Soldato
What's next? :rolleyes: :p

1uc5.jpg

Associate
OP
hsp70 said:
A lot of people in these forums are reasonably technophilic (is that a word? :p ) and forget that in terms of market size we are a small population though we still judge things by our own set of criteria. Tesco no doubt are aiming at the less technologically aware consumer (such as they do with their voip range) and in that respect they are in no way disadvantaged as some might think compared with the more established brand names.
It's sad that marketting muscle and mainstream brand recognition will probably win out over product quality 9 times out of 10... Then again this is the case even within the technophile community, as shown by the amount of people on here who still use Norton AV:p

Man of Honour
"Formjet's products include Ability Office, a software package which includes word processing, spreadsheet and photo editing applications, the basic version of which retails at £20.99."

If its half decent then they should be on to a winner.

Back
Top Bottom