Tesla Model Y

Associate
Just thought I’d open a new thread given the Model Y has now been released over here in the UK with the first deliveries due early 2022.

Anyone placed an order?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
it's about $60k in the US apparently, so i'll be placing an order sometime around never.
For comparison purposes its $64900 for the Model Y Long Range on the road in Austin for example, with taxes and registration. Would be a bit more in some places and a bit less in others.

These look superb as a 2nd car, but at the price they are there is no way i'll be ordering one.

Soldato
Rented a Model Y this year as a test drive, thought it was very competent but prices have come up quite a bit in the past year (with the rest of the car industry). Easily got 300 miles into a full charge which was good for us as we often do ~200 mile round trips and plenty of storage. It feels a lot bigger than expected as there is room everywhere to store things, plenty of leg room in the back too. We're looking to get one but prices and inventory are bad at the moment, I think ordering here in California gives delivery time around June next year at the moment!

Associate
OP
Rented a Model Y this year as a test drive, thought it was very competent but prices have come up quite a bit in the past year (with the rest of the car industry). Easily got 300 miles into a full charge which was good for us as we often do ~200 mile round trips and plenty of storage. It feels a lot bigger than expected as there is room everywhere to store things, plenty of leg room in the back too. We're looking to get one but prices and inventory are bad at the moment, I think ordering here in California gives delivery time around June next year at the moment!

There’s a huge factory opening soon in Germany so that should improve on the lead times for most of Europe.

Looking forward to seeing them on the roads in the UK.

Soldato
Seems a shame they're not offering the standard range + like in the M3 especially as they're making it in RHD for the HK market from what i can tell. Maybe they'll do it later down the line and it's a ploy to get the most profit to start with by only offering the higher models, in the UK i'd much rather have a 260ish mile range and save 6-8k.

Soldato
Always the same with product laugh, higher feature/product to make more margin to get money from the early buyers and stabilise revenue whilst still ramping up volume. Hence “first edition” type specs have come very popular.

Soldato
I placed an order the week they released the ordering back in October. Love the model 3 but it isn't practical enough to be the main family car and too expensive to be a second car so I held out until the Y was released.

I've gone for the long range in blue, everything else standard. Given the UKs obsession with SUVs / crossovers I'm hoping residuals will be very good. My round trip to the office is also 220 miles with free charging when I get there so should significantly reduce my fuel bill!

I did consider also putting a deposit down on the cybertruck but I'm not convinced it'll ever actually reach the UK.

Soldato
There’s a huge factory opening soon in Germany so that should improve on the lead times for most of Europe.
maybe that will herald the ones with the (to be desired for residuals/handling?) structural batteries too, earlier discussion V

Yep 4680 cells, bonded lid and not serviceable is not with customers yet. Plaid + was the understood first intro but that’s canned of course. Maybe it’s GigaBerlin?

e: https://thedriven.io/2021/11/04/tes...4680-batteries-with-deliveries-to-giga-texas/
lol video of texas tesla building site

Last edited:
Soldato
I doubt RHD will come from Berlin initially. I think LHD will move from Shanghai to Berlin and we will then get RHD from Shanghai where it’s already being produced for other markets and the U.K.

Associate
OP
I’ve ordered a white with standard spec. I do like the black 20”s but the reports of then harsh ride are off putting so stayed with the standard 19”s.

Back
Top Bottom