Tesla Model Y

Soldato
The media really does print some amount of sh*** when it comes to Tesla. Could you see them printing stuff like this if a BMW has something wrong with it's seats? I highly doubt it.

It's true, but you have the expect the trash to offset the sheer amount of press they get.

Their recent recall of ~500,000 odd vehicles made the top business news and most read on BBC. The recall was for a coax cable running over the boot lid to the rear camera that, as a result of being solid cored, may over time snap and prevent viewing of the rear camera when parking (nothing to do with the self-driving cameras etc). Basically a total non-issue and an easy fix.

Our Mercedes van has been recalled about 5 times in as many years for issues way more serious and intrinsic to day-to-day driving, one I think being sudden brake failure. Did any of those make the news? Of course not. But they don't get the 'positive' press either.

Caporegime
Yeah, I did think it was a bit of a misnomer when I read it. I also don't get the idea that anyone who drives and EV would automatically not want leather as an option (EV 6).

Get used to it. Never mind EVs, even with ICE cars manufacturers are moving over to Vegan options and some cars you can no longer spec leather. :(

Soldato
Is the Tesla home charger any better or worse than others?

Its ‘fine’. The main advantage is that it has a button on it that opens and unlocks the charge port when the car is unlocked.

With 3rd party chargers you have to do it via the app or in the main screen if the car is plugged in already. Otherwise it’s pretty ‘dumb’ but that’s fine for most people.

It has next to no ‘smart’ features like load management (ramps down the charger if you are approaching your house supply maximum). Solar integration, scheduling (can be done on all cars anyway), energy use reporting, electronic locks, etc etc. Your priorities for those will vary.

Looks and cable management are a personal preference. There are lots of different designs out there.

Soldato
When it says September on the website, it’s very unlikely you’ll get one on 1St September though as it will come when it comes, it could be August even if they quote September or it could be later in the month.

They tend to deliver cars from the middle to the end of the quarter.

Associate
If I wanted a Model Y for 1st September, when would be the best time to order?

From my ordering experience, I would say it's really difficult to say. I ordered my car in August and was told it would take 8 weeks then 2 weeks later got a message to say it was ready to collect.

Soldato
First people in the Uk got their "come pick up your Y car" last week????

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...t-hand-models-spotted-in-the-wild-178751.html

Although all made in China not Germany.

Ok, and when did they order :cry::cry::cry: Literally how to miss the point.

a) they havent got their cars yet - that could change
b) you cant trend the typical delivery time based on output today.

I can edit my post to say no paying customers have took delivery of their car in the UK if that helps?

Unless you can take a punt when to get a September 1st car? Crack on.

Caporegime
Checked our car scheme. Not doing any miles so not really considering but:

£580/m i4 M50.
£620/m for a Tesla Model Y performance
£510 ish for a Y LR. But haven’t ran the full quote (all include insurance )

The topic of vehicle cost isn’t too relevant as it’s all about the monthly’s on salary sacrifice (where most EV sales are )

Caporegime
Ok, and when did they order :cry::cry::cry: Literally how to miss the point.

a) they havent got their cars yet - that could change
b) you cant trend the typical delivery time based on output today.

I can edit my post to say no paying customers have took delivery of their car in the UK if that helps?

Unless you can take a punt when to get a September 1st car? Crack on.

Well you did say "literally no one has one yet so there isn't even a trend to look at" :cry:

Soldato
Its ‘fine’. The main advantage is that it has a button on it that opens and unlocks the charge port when the car is unlocked.

With 3rd party chargers you have to do it via the app or in the main screen if the car is plugged in already. Otherwise it’s pretty ‘dumb’ but that’s fine for most people.

It has next to no ‘smart’ features like load management (ramps down the charger if you are approaching your house supply maximum). Solar integration, scheduling (can be done on all cars anyway), energy use reporting, electronic locks, etc etc. Your priorities for those will vary.

Looks and cable management are a personal preference. There are lots of different designs out there.

Thanks for that. Really helpful. Looks like some research to be done on other options and more importantly finding a good installer. I suspect I’ll make our install difficult as our electrics are all in a basement services cupboard. I’ll want the cable run internally to the outside wall rather than run on the outside of the house round to the front.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you set the Tesla to unlock the charge port when it's finished charging?

Not sure, probably not a good idea anyway as the one time you use the portable charger or your type 2 cable and you forget and then someone nicks it, you’d be ****** off.

In reality you’ll also likely be ‘charging’ (pre heating the car off the mains) when you come to get in the car anyway.

Soldato
I'm surprised that I'm the first one to mention this.

Received a VIN last night with an estimated delivery window of 13-27 Feb. Also received a text later about picking it up from a "unique location" with more details to follow within 24 hours.

Must admit that I have no interest in picking it up from anywhere other than Thorpe Park since its extremely convenient for me to get there.

Back
Top Bottom