Tesla Model Y

Soldato
I'm surprised that I'm the first one to mention this.

Received a VIN last night with an estimated delivery window of 13-27 Feb. Also received a text later about picking it up from a "unique location" with more details to follow within 24 hours.

Must admit that I have no interest in picking it up from anywhere other than Thorpe Park since its extremely convenient for me to get there.

Excellent! I've decided to hold off for the moment and wait for the 2nd batch. Part-ex value on our M3 was a little disappointing compared to what they are advertised for on Autotrader and I don't have time or inclination to do anything else right now.

Not in a rush to change so June timeframe would work well for us.

Soldato
Received a text from Tesla offering me a choice of slots to collect the Y from Southampton Docks on 19 Feb. Don't think I'm going to go for it since it's massively out of the way compared to Thorpe Park, and it's achingly close to the 22 plates being available.

Don
Excellent! I've decided to hold off for the moment and wait for the 2nd batch. Part-ex value on our M3 was a little disappointing compared to what they are advertised for on Autotrader and I don't have time or inclination to do anything else right now.

Not in a rush to change so June timeframe would work well for us.

Out of interest, how much below retail were they offering? Did you try and get a price out of WBAC for it? I'm really interested in how Teslas are trading on the used market at the moment. The trade doesn't seem to know what it wants to value them at.

Soldato
sounded like on the dockside, straight from container ... google suggests southampton pick up is outside - would that be ok to allow a run over of the vehicle.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

sounded like on the dockside, straight from container ... google suggests southampton pick up is outside - would that be ok to allow a run over of the vehicle.
Loads of videos of people doing collections of the model 3 at the same place. Downside is, if it rains then you’re screwed… but then that’s the same for any car collection.

Soldato
Out of interest, how much below retail were they offering? Did you try and get a price out of WBAC for it? I'm really interested in how Teslas are trading on the used market at the moment. The trade doesn't seem to know what it wants to value them at.

Offered £41000(ish) very similar car on Tesla used part of the website for £49000(ish)

wbac offered £43000(ish) but having sold a car to them recently I’d expect £1k knocked off.

Soldato
What's the story with picking up from Southampton or Thorpe Park? Was talking to a colleague who has to replace his work car in September and he was saying lead times were in the 12 month range for Tesla. My Mustang is due to be returned in January 2023 so I may need to start thinking now! Although part of me wants to keep the Mustang as I didn't drive it too much with lockdowns :cry:

Soldato
Only a 12 month+ wait for a model s/x, probably more like 2 years at this point.

You can get a model 3 or Y in March (8weeks) if you ordered today.

Soldato
Bizarrely some of the Scottish Model Y buyers have been invited to Loch Fyne to pick up their cars..... That is literally in the middle of nowhere.... (google and you'll see what I mean)

Very weird place - I've no idea how they are going to get the cars there in the first place as it's hardly a decent road for a mutilple transporters and apart from a couple of destination chargers near by, there are no superchargers within 90 minutes drive!!

Very strange

Soldato
Still debating whether to collect mine from Southampton on 19/02 or push it to March and then deal with trying to collect it whilst abroad for a week. I haven't had a car since May so it's very tempting to get it ASAP.

I have until 18h00 today to decide.

Soldato
Still debating whether to collect mine from Southampton on 19/02 or push it to March and then deal with trying to collect it whilst abroad for a week. I haven't had a car since May so it's very tempting to get it ASAP.

I have until 18h00 today to decide.
If you are buying it with your own money/finance they wait, but if you're leasing it then it'll make no difference to your costs (re-sale value).

Soldato
If you are buying it with your own money/finance they wait, but if you're leasing it then it'll make no difference to your costs (re-sale value).

It's a cash purchase which is why I'm so undecided. Delaying it until March will add somewhere in the region of £500-£800 to the value which isn't pocket change.

Soldato
Have they explicitly told you that if you reject the Feb date you'll 100% get it in March?

Not me personally because I haven’t asked, but other people have.

The website still says your estimated delivery date is March if you order today, for what that’s worth.

Last edited:
Soldato
That is what would worry me,. You might find with the spec you ordered that you have to wait 3 months if you reject it.

I was just thinking that many people might be waiting for the new plate, it's close to the Q1 year end in March and there's lots of back orders for Model Y, so it might get lost to someone else. There's not really any options for the build so there is a high chance another would crop up sooner rather than later

Caporegime
Not me personally because I haven’t asked, but other people have.

It will be vehicle specific though? They dont actually build your car to your colour/spec, just build lots of the most popular combos and ship them across in batches and then you get told your car is ready which matches your order., If you reject that Feb car, they will offer it to the next person on the list that it matches.

There may not be a car in our colour/spec available in March and they may have all being allocated to other buyers.

I would want to 100% make sure they had one for March before rejecting the Feb delivery personally.

Back
Top Bottom