TFT screenburn?

Associate
This sounds bad. So are all the PVA Xerox panels going to get this ? Is it the fault of the panel, or the way Xerox have put the monitor together ? Surely if its the panel, then displays with the same Optronics panel would get it too ?

I was about to buy one of these when they hit OCUK too.. glad I didn't now.

Soldato
http://www.peter.tsohost.co.uk/Stuff/DSC00068.JPG

that is a picture of my monitor - they are so hard to photograph!! but you can see some areas of lightness/marks well it is retained images from what I've been playing or looking at, they are most noticeable on a blue background and I can see it over the top of programs, 3D and non 3D.

Getting to the stage where I'm on the edge of ordering a new TFT

Associate
Diddyman said:
Hi,

I have managed to remove the image burn but displaying a white screen for an hour or so, but if I then run the same application/game for a short time again it virtually immediately returns :((((((

Diddy

When I recived my exchange monitor from iiyama I manage to get screen burn of the top bit of firefox (title bar, menu and button) and the ocuk logo (from the forums). I am currently displaying a white desktop and not maximizing any windows so it can 'treat' the affected area. I also sometimes run a program called DPT which covers the whole screen in a chosen colour or to cycle through colours.

Although there is still some burn left, it is slowly improving-ish (just see lines)

Can't say I am overly impressed by the Iiyama LCDs. Their CRTs were good though.

Associate
Just wondering if its related to how bright its set at.
My ancient work TFT is set to 10% brightness, and my mate bought a brand new viewsonic and he runs it at 10% too, due to the extreme brightness of it. He has an AUO P-VA panel in it and he doesn't get any image retention, even after leaving high contrast text on screen all night.

Soldato
Overload said:
Left my firefox window maximized for about 45minutes only to find it had started burning again. Its looks like that area of the screen is a little sensitive now.

I'm, the same, have semi-got rid of the retained image, but any small length of time playing EVE, say an hour then the image comes back straight away, and now there is a small area near the bottom of my TFT that looks like backlight bleeding but it is the only place I get really bad retained images, so bad infact I can sometimes read text and see icons from my game on the desktop.

Soldato
OP
Oh dear.. I didn't realise the problem was this widespread. I havent been in the monitor section for some time now, and was suprised to see my origional thread still alive. Ive been trying to get an RMA from Xerox, but everytime I phone them, they say it will be a few more weeks until they get stock in... Its now been nearly 2 months. Time to see if I can get a refund I think :(

Associate
messiah khan said:
Oh dear.. I didn't realise the problem was this widespread. I havent been in the monitor section for some time now, and was suprised to see my origional thread still alive. Ive been trying to get an RMA from Xerox, but everytime I phone them, they say it will be a few more weeks until they get stock in... Its now been nearly 2 months. Time to see if I can get a refund I think :(

I never had this problem on my original TFT. I now have turned the contrast, brightness and gamma right down to the lowest setting. I don't think it affects me that much to get a replacement though. Sorry to hear your problems.

Soldato
messiah khan said:

Have you noticed a reduction in the quality of the image at all?

I was just wondering as mine seems to have lost a lot of contrast and colour staturation - see here :)

Soldato
OP
I don't think the image quality has reduced any tbh, unless its happened so gradually that my eyes are just used to it. It seems Xerox has managed to include some serious faults in this monitor, either that or its a bad batch of panels.

Soldato
Hi!

Yeah - I think it's been happening really slowly too. I didn't notice any difference until I bought a cheap Digimate TFT and the display on the Digimate was so much better! When I got the Xerox I remember thinking the opposite

The screenburn has only just started - I've only noticed it in the last few days

Associate
I've got this on a 3 month old Dell 2005fpw, but it's the Firefox "status" bar line thats retained. Turning the monitor off overnight resolved the issue (I used to let it go to sleep mode instead) I'll be keeping an eye on it to check for any re-occurance!

Soldato
Started happening to me, Samsung SyncMaster 181T. Exactly the same, area of the screen has burned-in FF buttons, and also horizontal lines at the bottom :(

Might try and get a picture. Probably no chance of RMA, this monitor's nearly 4 years old.

Soldato
P1010041.jpg

P1010043.jpg

And when I auto-hide the task bar I see more horizontal line-age and the clock and systray icons, sigh.

Soldato
OP
TBH honest, its not too surprising that its happening on a 4 year old monitor. Its still not nice to discover though. I was always in the belief that TFT monitors suffered a lot less from screen burn than CRT screens, but from this thread, im not so sure. At least ive finally managed to get a replacement from Xerox, so lets hope it holds out better than the first one. And I REALLY hope my 2405 doesn't develop problems.

Back
Top Bottom