TFT's for Architechs

Associate
Can anyone recommend me some decent TFT's for the architechs i have in my office.

Im looking for large screens 19" will do but 21" is preferable.

The software they'll have running is mainly AutoCad 3D.

Unlimited Budget.

Associate
I think if your going for 19" and 4*3 format then the Viewsonic VP930 will be your best choice with its wide viewing angles and 8 bit 16.7 million colour panel.

21" with the same format of 4*3 then the Viewsonic VP2130 will be an excellent choice for the type of work you require it for. You could also consider going the wide format route of 16*10 for the extra space width wise so that two documents can be displayed side by side at the same time. Eizo FlexScan S2110W 21" will be an excellent choice if you decide to go with this format. The screens can be seen in the OCuk shop at this address. 19" & 21" monitors

And for wide screen, 21" wide screen format

Click on both links and scroll down to view the monitors, also have a read of users opinions at, Reviews and here, Reviews

Good luck and I'm sure you will get some more advice from other members. :)

Associate
Reezer said:
New 30" Dell jobbie... looks very tasty.

A bit over-kill no? :)

To be honest, any recent 19" tft is sufficient for the needs of Autocad users. Most architects I know have better things to worry about than accurate colour reproduction and fast response times anyway - that honour goes to their monkeys, like me! :) :)

If it helps, I am currently considering the 21" Eizo S2110w (as suggested above) or the more standard aspect-ratio of the 20" Sony SDM-S205K, to replace my Viewsonic VP171s which I use for cad/3ds max/pshop and of course, BF2...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers for that guys.

Some useful information there.

The EIZO FlexScan S2110W looks well sexy.

Do you need a high end Gcard for that monitor?

Soldato
Depends on what it's gonna be used for. The high res doesn't stress your video card at all really unless you're running demanding 3d accelerated apps like games. Dunno if autocad uses 3d acceleration like 3dsmax does, but if it does I can't imagine it's very demanding on a 3d card.

If you wanna play F.E.A.R. on them at 1680 x 1050 however, that's a different matter entirely. That would take a near top-end PC.

Mud

Mud

Soldato
For 3D modelling and the like its all about resolution, you want at least 1600x1200 (20" TFT) or 1680x1050 (20" wide)...bear in mind the wideness only really aids toolbars (in my experience), the working area tends to be squarish...so 20" wide will give less working area than a 20" 4:3 screen (although with lots of toolbars onscreen it can decrease the margin). The Dell 3007WFP would be excellent (as would the Apple 30" cinema screen) and a joy to work with, as is dual screens.

I use Solid Edge for technical modelling (engineering application) and I happily get by on a 2405FPW/2001FP dualscreen rig; working on less than the 20" as a lone screen is a pain.

@djohn, 17"/19" screens aren't 4:3, they're 5:4. The limited resolution is just that...limited for this kind of work. You can get by on it, but moving to 1600x1200 really boosts productivity.

Back
Top Bottom