*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, lots of info in that video series. I think I will definitely switch to box squat to get my form right. Is it ideal to have a box that allows you to get to parallel or below?

In powerlifing parallel is usually all you need. Doesn't hurt to put it an inch or two below it though if you want.

I usually get just below parallel on my squats.

Also have a look at other Elite FTS vids, they have some of the strongest people in the world there.

A box squat should be slightly below parallel with tension in the legs, so it's kind of tricky to get the height right without help. Perhaps find relaxed parallel and then reduce it by 1/2 an inch or so and see how it feels.

Only having recently learnt it, the most important points for me are to not "sit up" when I'm on the box (don't change back angle at all) and to REALLY focus on foot pronation and pushing the knees out (this isn't a problem for me on regular squats but initially cropped up with a box). This will really test any mobility issues you have with your hips :)

My man flue is gone! Had a great training day for shoulders and traps. Also got to test out my new lifting straps I got on the cheap.

Clean then, Standing Barbbell Press.
40kg x10
50kg x5
60kg x5
70kg x5
60kg x5
60kg x5
50kg x5
40kg x10
40kg x10

Side Lateral Raises
12kg x8
13kg x8
14kg x8
13kg x8
12kg x5

At this point my shoulders felt like Truck Tires, they had the best pump I've ever felt in them.

Ez Curl bar Upright Rows
40kg x5
50kg x5
60kg x5
55kg x5
50kg x5
50kg x5

Barbell Shoulder Shrugs.
70kg x10
90kg x8
110kg x8
120kg x8
130kg ( with straps ) x8
130kg ( with straps ) x8
130kg ( with straps )x8
120kg ( with straps )x8
110kg x8
90kg x8
20 minutes of stretching, followed by 10 minutes of foam roller.

I feel amazing despite still feeling groggy yesterday!

Straps are odd though, took me a while to get them on and working like I wanted ahaha. At least they have 4mm of foam/sponge on the wrist part so were a bit comfy.

Hands were quite tired at this point.

Last edited:
Just had a shockingly poor workout. Only managed squats of 5 reps @ 60kg and 5 reps at 65Kg before going into a coughing fit. Did sldl of 8 reps @ 60kg, 8 reps @ 80kg and 6 reps @ 90kg. Did shrugs, 3 sets of 8 @ 20kg. Shoulder press on a machine was 3 sets of 8 @ 40kg, 50kg and 60kg and donkey lift was 3 sets of 5 @ 20kg. I already feel tired and this cough won't go. I'm hoping for a better workout on Thursday.

I wouldn't worry about workouts where you're feeling under the weather. Off days are off days, no point getting down about it. You'll smash the workouts when you're back to 100%.

you do 70x5 shoulder pressing on your light week?
what's your BW again?

I weigh in at around 70kg.

Like I said light/volume. Sometimes I like to push out extra weight for volume and explosive power work. Today was that, although it's brutally hard, specially on the wrists.

My max Clean and Press is 85kg at the moment.

Considering your press in relation to your bench do you struggle activate your chest properly? As you can press the same as me but your bench seems to be trailing in comparison to your press.

Considering your press in relation to your bench do you struggle activate your chest properly? As you can press the same as me but your bench seems to be trailing in comparison to your press.

The problem with bench is when I pulled/tore that tendon in my elbow last year.

I've only starting benching again 2 weeks ago and I've not gone over 85kg yet. I've just been focussing on reps so far.
I want to get comfortable with it first and sort out my form before I push it too hard again.

Even though my right arm is my dominant one, it's is my weaker one since I got that injury.

Had a little play with box squat form today after my chest/tri session, I have to say it felt really good on the legs. Much more recruitment of muscles, even if it was just using the bar.

My man flue is gone! Had a great training day for shoulders and traps. Also got to test out my new lifting straps I got on the cheap.

20 minutes of stretching, followed by 10 minutes of foam roller.

I feel amazing despite still feeling groggy yesterday!

Straps are odd though, took me a while to get them on and working like I wanted ahaha. At least they have 4mm of foam/sponge on the wrist part so were a bit comfy.

Hands were quite tired at this point.

I'd say that was too much volume mate.

As far as I remember you're primarily training for strength, and I know you're saying that this is your light week, but it seems a bit like you're stuck between powerlifting and bodybuilding methods for what you've posted.

In terms of powerlifting or general strength increase, light work should not be done with such high volume. Fair enough if you want to put some mass on, but there are better ways of doing that with powerlifting in mind.

Just because you CAN do more reps with 70% load, doesn't mean you necessarily should. For some light (I'm assuming kinda speed?) work, a good thing to have in the back of your mind is that you want to finish your work out feeling stronger than when you started (the same goes for some max effort stuff as well).

Bought some cissus that I'll be taking twice a day (morning/night). Hopefully my knee feels a little less dodgy after taking it.

That looks like a sick workout nightmare :o. My strength is comparatively poor for my bodyweight, oh well... Managed a standing press of 52.5 for only 3x5 today and 62.5kg hang cleans for a set of 5.

I'd say that was too much volume mate.

As far as I remember you're primarily training for strength, and I know you're saying that this is your light week, but it seems a bit like you're stuck between powerlifting and bodybuilding methods for what you've posted.

In terms of powerlifting or general strength increase, light work should not be done with such high volume. Fair enough if you want to put some mass on, but there are better ways of doing that with powerlifting in mind.

Just because you CAN do more reps with 70% load, doesn't mean you necessarily should. For some light (I'm assuming kinda speed?) work, a good thing to have in the back of your mind is that you want to finish your work out feeling stronger than when you started (the same goes for some max effort stuff as well).

I do one week very heavy in powerlifting style, and this another week.
I also change the volume every month so I don't just do pure volume all the time.

I also always feel better and stronger after it all.
I give 100% effort on all lifts, be it at 30% or 100% load, it does not matter.

Also this method has done wonders for my strength training, specially given the injuries I've had in the past.

I train predominantly like the folks at Elite FTS. Just doing low reps and sets for strength is good and all, but it won't help with my weak spots where I need to improve at or build some mass at.

I did think Nightmares loads may have been a bit heavy in regards to the volume however he seems quite confident and this seems to be working for him.

I'd probably go a little lighter and take each rep to a dead stop and focus on drive and recruitment.

Just be careful not to end up doing too much. I fell in to this in and out of this in my first 2 years of training. Enjoying it so much and wanting to hit everything from every angle the amount I was doing in each session became counter productive.

I like to leave wanting more so that when I train the next time I'm raring to go :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom