*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
My girlfriend has decided to join my gym (fitspace benny) and she's never been to a gym before.

Gonna take her there tomorrow. Reckon I'll give her a bit of cardio time and show her how to squat and deadlift with seriously light weight.

My girlfriend has decided to join my gym (fitspace benny) and she's never been to a gym before.

Gonna take her there tomorrow. Reckon I'll give her a bit of cardio time and show her how to squat and deadlift with seriously light weight.

Which one?

Talk about throwing her in at the deep end!

I'd teach her one every fortnight as it's a lot to remember for a beginner. You'll be surprised how little unconditioned people can do, assuming she doesn't already regularly exercise.

Fitspace nottingham.

Yeah I'm not planning on beasting her, just giving her a basic rundown of the movements, a few sets of a few reps. Maybe 20 mins of light cardio.

I'm looking for some pointers to maximize my strength routine in the next few weeks. Basically I normally do 3 weeks strength followed by 4 weeks of size centric training. During my strength weeks I do the same routine as mass week but keep the reps between 4-6 and go heavy. Each week I aim to add some weight and hit the same number of reps if possible.

Last edited:
4x4x212.5kg deadlift tonight - was hard as I was really rushed. Comfortable-ish apart from the last set though, somehow managed to almost feint as I first set up! Going to play around with some strongman stuff tomorrow so I hope I'm not too fried. In fact I'll probably have to take it a little easy, I'm not going to compromise on Super Squat Friday.

Next week the weights start to get challenging, although I'm not entirely sure when I'm going to train because of gym closures :(

LiE, have you ever done any speed work? Post up your strength routine over the 3 weeks, including sample weights with progressions, and I'll have a play with it if you like.

LiE, have you ever done any speed work? Post up your strength routine over the 3 weeks, including sample weights with progressions, and I'll have a play with it if you like.

My last strength routine was 4 weeks ago now and I only recorded the last weeks weights. The next 8 week block I'm also swapping out some exercises.

Interestingly I think my strength has increased a bit during my 4 week of mass, probably due to the fact I could have pushed myself more when I was doing strength and still trying to find the correct weight

For example my squat at the end of strength was:
100 x 6 , 120 x 6 , 130 x 4

and my last mass session of squat this week I did:
110 x 10, 120 x 8 , 120 x 8

Think I'm going to do some Biceps and Chest tonight in the Gym;

Flat Bench Press - 8x3
Incline Bench Press - 8x3
Decline Bench Press - 8x3
Dumb-bell Fly - 8x3
Dips - 8x3 (might tie some weights to me if I manage the 8 with my body weight)
Preacher Curls with z bar - 8x3
Standing Dumb-bell Curls - 8x3

Rowing Machine 30 mins

Saturday is going to look like this - Back/Triceps:

Deadlift - 8x3
Bent Over Rows - 8x3
Lat-pull downs - 8x3
Towel Pull-ups (yep, going to try these because I'm crazy!) - (3 sets of whatever I can manage)
Close-grip Bench Press - 8x3
Rope push down - 8x3
Skullcrushers - 8x3

Rowing Machine 30 mins.

Personally I wouldn't do so many barbell bench presses. Add in some dumbbells, I really like incline dumbbells.

Incline DB Press
Weighted Dips
Cable Flyes
Decline Bench Press

Think I'm going to do some Biceps and Chest tonight in the Gym;

Flat Bench Press - 8x3
Decline Bench Press - 8x3
Dumb-bell Fly - 8x3

Rowing Machine 30 mins

Saturday is going to look like this - Back/Triceps:

Deadlift - 8x3
Bent Over Rows - 8x3
Lat-pull downs - 8x3
Towel Pull-ups (yep, going to try these because I'm crazy!) - (3 sets of whatever I can manage)
Close-grip Bench Press - 8x3
Rope push down - 8x3
Skullcrushers - 8x3

Rowing Machine 30 mins.

Sounds horrible tbh.
On Sat your back will be hampered by blown biceps from the day before.
Your tris will be poor because of the hammering you gave them the day before :p

Towel Pull-ups

It took me a few minutes to choose a grip when I first came to do these. You can't use a regular grip like you would for say hammer grip chins as the towel will crush your little finger/hand.

You have to grip as if you were holding your water bottle to drink from. So if you had two poles in each hand they'd be pointing directly up if you had your arms by your side and a 90 degree bend in the elbow. Basically the same as you would for a rope press down.

Agree with Tank on that completely and I would stick to a Push/Pull format over these days:

Push: Chest + Tri's
Flat Bench Press - 8x3
Decline Bench Press - 8x3 - remove
Dumb-bell Fly - 8x3
Cable rope push down - dropsets 6/6/6 x3 - E.g. 20kg-15kg-10kg (FEEL THE BURN)

Pull: Back + Bi's

Deadlift - 8x3
Bent Over Rows - 8x3 / Seated Row - 8x3
Lat-pull downs - 8x3

I find that doing plenty of good back exercises engages the Biceps enough to give me DOMS the day after anyway.

Last edited:
Thank you once again everybody for assisting this newbie!

I think I'll copy what -Ad- suggested, and change the incline bench for incline dumb-bell press - as I get the impression my potential program would have overtrained me and perhaps even stifled my progress.

Push - Chest + Tris (Thursday)
Flat Bench Press - 8x3
Incline Dumb-bell Press - 8x3
Dumb-bell Fly - 8x3
Cable Rope push down - I gather I would max out at 6 reps at a weight, then drop the weight enough so I can just about manage 6 reps again?
Dips - 8x3

Pull: Back + Biceps (Saturday)
Deadlift - 8x3
Bent Over Rows - 8x3 /Seated Row 8x3
Lat Pull Downs - 8x3
Towel Pull-ups

I'm on a push/pull myself. Here's mine, it's a bit of a mixture as I like to keep the frequency for each body part high.

Also shame on -Ad- and Morba for not spotting the lack of leg work!

Push
Squat
Press
Leg Press
Bench
Flyes
Lateral raise
Leg Extension
Diamond Press ups
One tricep isolation exercise

Pull
Deadlift
Pullup/towel pull up
Hamstring Curl
B.O.R
Shrugs
Curl
Planks

Nice and simple and nice and quick.

Hi All

New to this thread but been getting back into gym recently and now up to 3 visits per week. I tend to do cycling/running at weekends and gym during the week. Been recommended this as a weights routine - what do you guys think?

Monday - Back/Triceps:
Dead lift
Wide-grip Lat Pulldowns
Bent over barbell rows
Dips
Skull Crushers
Seated Row
Seated triceps dip
Tricep extension with rope

Wednesday - Legs/Shoulders:
Barbell squats
Shrugs
Leg press
Leg extensions
Lying leg curls
Calf raise machine
Barbell Shoulder Press (military or standing)
Lateral raises, with dumbbells
Upright rows, with dumbbells/ez bar

Friday - Chest/Biceps:
Bench Press (incline/flat/decline)
Incline Dumbbell Press
Dumbbell/Cable Fly
One arm Dumbbell rows
Standing barbell curls
Close grip pull-ups

Cheers

Had my first strongman sesh today, just a bit of fun with my brother (icecold, for those who don't now) and his friends. Wow, that was hard, I didn't do much at all actually just a little medley of sled pulls with a 50kg plate, farmers walks with 130kg and tire flips with unknown weight all a 20m distance. Did it all out in the sun and it was a new kind of heaven/hell :), really enjoyed it though either way. I then went on to do my deadlift that I missed yesterday which was 180kgx4x4, cheeky pb right there :). It is safe to say though that all of that has crippled my brain, typing this is hard to do and speech is difficult :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom