*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
One more thing, I know there are a few people who view this forum but are a little scared to post questions for various reasons (I am sure i'm not the only one who has received emails from members). If you would like to ask some questions but don't want to post, feel free to email me (email in trust) and I'll post up your question anonymously for the others to have a look :)

Agreed... always feel free to email Morba :p

Associate
Trying to grow?
As mad as it sounds for a 12 stone name, eat even more! Also make sure you are getting some quality sleep at night, as much as you can :)

Know what you mean about being a radiator, I could happily have a window open at night even when its freezing outside, helps me keep cool!

Looks like my only option is to just gobble more food then! It's tough eating so many meals throughout the day to not start eating a little dirty and throwing in a chocolate bar for an easy 250kcals :(

but i shall keep going. noexcuses.jpg

Associate
Glad to see the new thread up and running :)

I've done my first A day for the 5x5 on HST now and it went as follows :)

A day exercises are:
Squat (120kg)
Pullups (20KG)
Dips (25KG)
HC2PP (55kg)

It felt really strange doing squat with over 100KG, I haven't done that in over a month. I'm quite chuffed with my pullups cause thats a new pb for me. I try to make the push press more of a press to try and hit my shoulders and back more so I was quite pleased with the 5x5 of 55KG.

Soldato
FAO Benny:
Did that bio-oil ever make much difference for you?

Over christmas stretchmarks on my arms (Well, only my left arm has stretchmarks lolwut) have increased a little, hopefully they wont get bigger because Im now looking to lose weight?

Im also applying moisturiser as I always have done, although the period they were gained I had stopped for a week or so.

Yep, it deffinatley did for me. I keep meaning to pop some pictures up. Will most likey get some comparisons up during the week.

About £10-12 for a bottle. 2 bottles lasted me like 6 months and that included totally covering my back a few times because of sunburn.

Associate
i really need to lose some weight and concentrate on putting on more muscle, i struggle with a routine though.

currently just do dumbells at home but would like to start a gym, just a little shy.

any good dumbell routines that can be done to bulk up arms and upper body?

Caporegime
OP
i really need to lose some weight and concentrate on putting on more muscle, i struggle with a routine though.

currently just do dumbells at home but would like to start a gym, just a little shy.

any good dumbell routines that can be done to bulk up arms and upper body?

there are, but you also need to work your core and your legs and lower back. otherwise you might find yourself falling over :p

do you have a bench or a swiss ball that you can do presses on?

Soldato
Not so much a gym rat but an idiot who needs to do something. Been on and off exercising for 2.5 years but this time (barring injury) I'm aiming to stick at it.....

Just starting on cardio, will be working some free weights (dumbells) once I'm back into things. However I feel this might be as good a place as any to keep a track of what I'm doing and be given a kick in the butt when needed :)

Did some steady state rowing today to the tune of 4220m. Was 25 mins of activity total but I've gotta start somewhere right?

:)

Associate
there are, but you also need to work your core and your legs and lower back. otherwise you might find yourself falling over :p

do you have a bench or a swiss ball that you can do presses on?

iv got a cross trainer, barbell, dumbells and and selection of weights and bars. ideally and i know it may sound a little silly but id like to shed a little weight and build some stamina before i commit to the gym, im hugely self conscious, not because im a little overweight but because i wont be able to do much for long at a gym and dont want to be well laughed at lol.

Caporegime
OP
there arent many places i the world where you would get laughed at, in fact in most gyms there are people like in this forum, happy to help someone if they want or need it :)

It might be worth getting into doing some hard cardio then moving onto HIIT. this will give you a better base level of fitness. don't shun the weights until then though, get on them from the start.
Do the basic compound exercises (deadlift, squat, bench press, over head press) and maybe a couple of curls and overhead tri extension supersets. that will start giving all of your muscles a good workout

Associate
there arent many places i the world where you would get laughed at, in fact in most gyms there are people like in this forum, happy to help someone if they want or need it :)

It might be worth getting into doing some hard cardio then moving onto HIIT. this will give you a better base level of fitness. don't shun the weights until then though, get on them from the start.
Do the basic compound exercises (deadlift, squat, bench press, over head press) and maybe a couple of curls and overhead tri extension supersets. that will start giving all of your muscles a good workout

good to know then thanks.

i kinda get the gist of what your saying but will have to look into some of that stuff a little more as i dont quite understand the meanings :)

need to change diet too, not only do i eat the wrong foods but atm i only really have 1 main meal a day and snacking (due to convenience) which is hindering things massively, i.e i aint seeing a huge improvement in muscle gain because im not fuelling up right and at the same time im not losing any weight for the same reason.

definitely want to make some drastic changes and get a good fitness plan together for this year.

Soldato
Well after nearly a month off training due to every illness known to man :( today is going to be leg day, bring on the pain :D

Man of Honour
I'll get a post in earlyish as I tend to read the thread with interest even if I don't post all that much. Once I've got my leg sorted out I'm aiming for a fair increase on all my lifts before the end of the year - hopefully at least 150kg DL, 100kg squats and 80kg bench all for reps. They're pretty weedy numbers compared to many here but should be achievable with some hard work and if/when I do them I can revise my goals upwards. Hope everyone has a good year in 2011.

Associate
I'm still weighing in at approximately 66kg at 5 foot 6, still carrying out stronglifts, having switched to 3x5 from 5x5.
Now at the point of 3x5 for squatting 97.5kg, ohp 40 kg, and deadlifting 102.5 kg. I appreciate that my lifts are fairly small but relative to my weight aren't bad so far.

Is it too early to be throwing in some hypertrophy exercises around the 3x8 range?

Man of Honour
It completely depends on what you want for yourself. Are you still making progress with stronglifts? Do you particularly want to add more lean mass?

Also, those aren't small lifts, there are a huge amount of people who can't do them :)

Associate
My initial target was to get to 2x BW for deadlift, 1.5x Squat and building up to 0.8 - 0.9 xBW OHP (that'll take a while I know), I still have a fairly high body fat (at a guess 15-20%). I am still progressing on stronglifts but it is slowing down in regards to the squats and OHP. Deadlifts still progressing ok *touch wood*,

My weight has remained fairly static throughout, I presume this is probably under eating even though I am attempting to eat more. I'm just not sure If I should just carry on stronglifts or start to head else where. I've been doing stronglifts for quite a while as I had to take a large deload at one point as I wasn't happy with my form and progress has been slow and my strength was silly low to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom