*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Hey Guys

Looking to build a home gym (finally). Wanted to ask if any of you guys know anywhere selling weights cheap? I know they can be found second hand, but also wondered if any of you had any links to a good site (theres loads with big fluctuation in prices).

Starting the stronglifts routine, so want to have a decent setup and would rather spend a bit more to get what I need (rather than buying a 'kit' and then it having too little weights and buying addons - in the long run costing me more).

Looking forward to 2011 gym wise ;). Thanks

edit:
Looking at a 50kg set and thinking about that, is that suitable for now or would you reccomend getting a 100kg set? (100kg set is like £180! theres got to be some cheaper than that?)

weights are expensive, you should be aiming to pay no more than £2 per kg brand new and as little as £1 per kg second hand. second hand is the only way to go if you want cheap weights, i recently acquired 190kg for £180. sure they need painting, but thats a £20 outlay to make them look brand new again. So call it £200 for 190kg of brand new looking plates (after paint).

50kg wont do, you cant even squat or deadlift properly with that. the minimum you should be looking for is 150kg, i can tell by you even suggesting 50kg, you either dont have a clue or your heart isn't truly in it. otherwise you would know how much weight you need.

i have over 400kg of weight, the max ive ever used for 1 lift would probably only be around 150kg, but im hoping to improve that drastically. the extra weight comes in handy when using different bars (ez curl or barbell) or a lat/pulley attachment.

also with a home gym, i found that olympic dumbell bars were a waste of money, due to how unsafe they are. when you get to larger weights, using them for bench press, etc. the size of the weights involved means you cannot trust spring collars to stop the weights from sliding off (if you do down this route spend heavy on some clamps, bulldog ones are supposed to be good, but there's probably others too). otherwise this then means you need a set of ironmasters with add on kit (£600) or a full set of dumbells (1-45 kg) is like £2,000 brand new. to do any serious dumbell work.

so take into consideration whether or not you want to do dumbell work. and then you may realise the cheapest option (dumbell bars) although it may be all you can afford, it can be dangerous/unsuitable.

building a home gym aint cheap, you need to be committed and be prepared to buy decent equipment.

look here http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26 for at least a week or two reading various threads to soak up some knowledge on what is good and what isn't, be aware though there are a lot of idiots on that forum as well as decent people.

the best and cheapest way to set up a home gym would be:

semi decent rack (1000 lbs capacity) with the option to buy a lat pulley attachment in the future, to keep starting costs low if your struggling, i can personally recommend the powertec one, it comes with adjustable dipping bars and a chin/pull up bar also.

decent bench - you cannot skimp on this, get a commercial one if possible, body solid or gymratz are both solid picks (i have both).

horse stall mats - £30 a mat , for the exact same matting gym stores sell for £60

olympic bar's and weights - second hand is the way to go and re-paint them if neccessary

dumbells - ironmasters (expensive) or standalone set (extortionate), you may be able to get standalone fixed dumbells cheaply second hand, if you keep searching on a weekly basis for months. i doubt you will ever find ironmasters second hand in this country only america.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Grrrrr

I hate Januarys. Full of idiots at the gym, just starting (fair play to them for taking an interest in their fitness), and just throwing about as much weight as they can in front of their mates, sitting there watching TV more than working out, and just clogging up the gym

I'm very grumpy about it as you can tell :(

Soldato
Excellent.

Hopefully can crack on with it this year as 2010 became very disjointed and social/work/car always seemed to take priority.

Plus I might be taking some redundancy pay in the next 2 months so will effectively be winding down at work whilst searching for another job, so plenty of gym time to put in!

Happy 2011 you wusses, now get to the gym and get lifting!!!!!!!!!

Man of Honour
I've been doing stronglifts seriously for around 7 months. My goals in the new year will be increase lean mass once I reach my deadlift/squat goals. I've been looking at follow a madcow routine, how would that suite? Too strength orientated?

I don't believe 15 - 20 % is high, I just meant that is probably higher than what you lot are at.

Don't worry this thread is full of fatties :D

What do you mean by too strength orientated? If your goal is to increase strength then surely there is no such thing ;). You don't have to do the full madcow routine, you could just stop when you reach your targets and then move onto a mass building routine.

If going for *maximal* gains in a particular area, it's always better to focus fully on that area while at most maintaining other areas.

Generally speaking, the training you would do for max strength, max speed, max increase in muscle mass and optimum fat loss are not the same. What a lot of people do is training phases throughout the year (although I'm not really talking about bulking/cutting which I'm not in favour of).

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Grrrrr

I hate Januarys. Full of idiots at the gym, just starting (fair play to them for taking an interest in their fitness), and just throwing about as much weight as they can in front of their mates, sitting there watching TV more than working out, and just clogging up the gym

I'm very grumpy about it as you can tell :(

Start deadlifting in the middle and they soon go away ;p

Soldato
Well, after nearly a year of being able to do sod all I'm feeling pretty good to go now.

Got a lot to fix up this year so will really have to get back to basics and also stop eating so many bloody kebabs.

First session is tomorrow. I'm going to go back in on a push/pull/legs basis rather than my old favourite the full body split.

Pull:
Deads 3x5
Chins 3x6
Rows 3x6

Push:
Bench 3x6
OHP 3x6
Dips 3x6

Legs:
Squats 5x5
SLDL 3x5
Sissy core workout to enable me to regain love god status.

Linear progression for the first couple of months as I'll be starting out at a very conservative weight. I need to shed a some fat as well and get my cardio back to a good level so I'll be doing 2 full cardio sessions a week coupled with 15mins or so after each weights session.

Calorie deficit will be moderate and processed foods will largely be gone.

If I'm all good in a couple of months I might take boxing up again.

Associate
BennyC

RE: 4 hour work week

It's about 600 pages long but the author has set it up so you only need to read about 150 pages depending on what y ou want to do.

There's sections on the following
- losing 20 pounds of fat in 4 weeks using a slow carb diet.
- a minimal workout/diet plan that supposedly gets you 10-20 pounds of lean muscle
- he also gained 34 pounds of musle in 4 weeks as indicated in this link http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/29/from-geek-to-freak-how-i-gained-34-lbs-of-muscle-in-4-weeks/
- also some stuff on training to get maximum strength gains and also increasing running distance speed and swimming
- even a section on sex :o

Not out until Feb for the UK but book depository seem to have it in paperback form for around £11.
Link to the amazon page which is £7.49 if you want to wait till 3 Feb 4 hour body

Hmmmm...

*forward link to my Physiology lecturerer*

did he get back to you ?

also the table of contents of the book for anyone interested, some wild claims and he's supposadly tried out everything in the book himself :rolleyes:

A fun read anyway.

Table of Contents

Start Here
Thinner, Bigger, Faster, Stronger? How to Use This Book

Fundamentals – First and Foremost
The Minimum Effective Dose: From Microwaves to Fat-loss
Rules That Change the Rules: Everything Popular Is Wrong

Ground Zero-Getting Started and Swaraj
The Harajuku Moment: The Decision to Become a Complete Human
Elusive Bodyfat: Where Are You Really?
From Photos to Fear: Making Failure Impossible

Subtracting Fat: Basics
The Slow- Carb Diet I: How to Lose 20 Pounds in 30 Days Without Exercise
The Slow-Carb Diet II: The Finer Points and Common Questions
Damage Control: Preventing Fat Gain When You Binge
The Four Horsemen of Fat-Loss

Subtracting Fat: Advanced
Ice Age: Mastering Temperature to Manipulate Weight
The Glucose Switch: Beautiful Number 100
The Last Mile: Losing the Final 5-10 Pounds

Adding Muscle
Building the Perfect Posterior (or Losing 100+ Pounds)
Six-Minute Abs: Two Exercises That Actually Work
From Geek to Freak: How to Gain 34 Pounds in 28 Days
Occam’s Protocol I: A Minimalist Approach to Mass
Occam’s Protocol II: The Finer Points

Improving Sex
The 15-Minute Female Orgasm-Part Un
The 15-Minute Female Orgasm-Part Deux
Sex Machine I: Adventures in Tripling Testosterone
Happy Endings and Doubling Sperm Count

Perfecting Sleep
Engineering the Perfect Night’s Sleep
Becoming Uberman: Sleeping Less with Polyphasic Sleep

Reversing Injuries
Reversing “Permanent” Injuries
How to Pay for a Beach Vacation with One Hospital Visit
Pre-Hab: Injury-Proofing the Body

Running Faster and Farther
Hacking the NFL Combine I: Preliminaries—Jumping Higher
Hacking the NFL Combine II: Running Faster
Ultraendurance I: Going from 5K to 50K in 12 Weeks—Phase I
Ultraendurance II: Going from 5K to 50K in 12 Weeks—Phase II

Getting Stronger
Effortless Superhuman: Breaking World Records with Barry Ross
Eating the Elephant: How to Add 100 Pounds to Your Bench Press

From Swimming to Swinging
How I Learned to Swim Effortlessly in 10 Days
The Architecture of Babe Ruth
How to Hold Your Breath Longer Than Houdini

On Longer and Better Life
Living Forever: Vaccines, Bleeding, and Other Fun

Closing Thoughts
Closing Thoughts: The Trojan Horse

Appendices and Extras
Helpful Measurements and Conversions
Getting Tested—From Nutrients to Muscle Fibers
Muscles of the Body
The Value of Self-Experimentation
Spotting Bad Science 101: How Not to Trick Yourself
Spotting Bad Science 102: So You Have a Pill . . .
The Slow-Carb Diet—194 People
Sex Machine II: Details and Dangers
The Meatless Machine I: Reasons to Try a Plant-Based Diet for Two Weeks
The Meatless Machine II: A 28-Day Experiment

Bonus Material
Spot Reduction Revisited: Removing Stubborn Thigh Fat
Becoming Brad Pitt: Uses and Abuses of DNA
The China Study: A Well-Intentioned Critique
Heavy Metal: Your Personal Toxin Map
The Top 10 Reasons Why BMI Is Bogus
Hyperclocking and Related Mischief: How to Increase Strength 10% in One Workout
Creativity on Demand: The Promises and Dangers of Smart Drugs
An Alternative to Dieting: The Bodyfat Set Point and Tricking the Hypothalamus

Soldato
I've read some things about this 4 hour book that make me very sceptical of it - 34lbs of muscle with a total of 4 hours gym time for example - I might download a copy anyway to see.

I'm going for my first gym session of 2011 tomorrow, I hope it's not gonna be dreadfully busy.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just remember when you get annoyed by all the people who turn up in January then disappear never to be seen again, they help to keep the rest of our membership costs lower :p

Soldato
I got the student deal they had available until the end of September 2010, so it's £10 a month running contract with 1 month's notice period if I want to quit (although why would I?). I have to thank BennyC for recommending it.

Soldato
Just googled that and looks like there's one in Notts, but the 10 option has a 18 month min term :eek:

There's one a few quid more a month if you want no contract. Was considering it but the uni gym was a bit cheaper and had no sign up fee.

Also there's 'The Gym Group', a friend recommened the one in brighton to me, low price and seems to have a lot of weight equipment. One in nott's: http://www.thegymgroup.com/take-a-gym-tour-nottingham.asp

24 hour aswell.

Last edited:
Associate
I've been doing 3x8 now for about 4 months and Im loving it, Iv'e made good progress now I think but I think Iv'e hit a brick wall now. I was thinking of changing it up to strongman 5x5 lifts? I have a question however, how long should I be resting between each set for 5x5?
Thanks!

Soldato
I've been doing 3x8 now for about 4 months and Im loving it, Iv'e made good progress now I think but I think Iv'e hit a brick wall now. I was thinking of changing it up to strongman 5x5 lifts? I have a question however, how long should I be resting between each set for 5x5?
Thanks!

Depends how you feel, I usually take anything from 90-150 second breaks

Soldato
The fitspace in Lincoln was nicely equipped. Lots of room. Mostly old kit but think it's had a few new peices recently. Has everything you could need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom