*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OK so taking everyone's advice on board I've got my 2nd video of squat form - now with no sissy pad :p

It felt good, but the only problem I have is some soreness in my inner thigh. I've posted an email below pointing out the area where it hurts, not in a good way. Probably tight hips?

Video:

Pain area circled in red, it's on both legs.

hip.png

Man of Honour
Have you tried with your feet in less of a wide stance. I keep a mine tiny bit less than shoulder width apart for the same reason although not in exactly the same place, but I do get some discomfort if I go too wide

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I used to have my feet closer together using the old form, and I actually caused an injury to the area I mentioned. It could be that it's still tender from the injury which was about 5 weeks ago now.

Associate
I normally do some stretches, not sure if it's 5 minutes worth though. To be honest, I just want to get stuck in most of the time! So maybe a bit more care and attention is needed in future. Will give that stretch a go also, as I've never done that one!

Cheers :)

Soldato
about to run tonight my 500th km since I bought my GPS watch in March :)

running is on top of the 6 1 hr gym sessions a week (of which half include some cardio)

body is knackered!lol-but making good progress - never been so fit in my life

Count: 53 Activities
Distance: 496.46 km
Time: 44:24:57 h:m:s
Elevation Gain: 3,359 m
Avg Speed: 12.0 km/h
Avg HR: 144 bpm
Avg Run Cadence: --
Avg Bike Cadence: --
Calories: 32,588 C

Man of Honour
I tell you what owing to my diet, I BURN up whenever I have carbs. And I mean start dripping with sweat almost! :D I'm guessing my insulin sensitivity has increased because boy when I have some carbs I just become a radiator!

Madness! Love it! :D

Associate
LiE are you squeezing your glutes? I really squeeze them at the top which rotates my pelvis. Found it helps to activate them when driving out of the hole.

Also maybe straighten up your feet a bit, it helps to support your hips. Feels like it creates a bit of tension along the outside of my legs when I do it, but I can then use that to my advantage on the heavy stuff.

To me that video looks fine, just a few things I have been doing lately which have helped me!

Permabanned
I tell you what owing to my diet, I BURN up whenever I have carbs. And I mean start dripping with sweat almost! :D I'm guessing my insulin sensitivity has increased because boy when I have some carbs I just become a radiator!

pop some ephedrine, i find 30mg's plus about 4 cups of coffee in a morning and i become swamp thing. Must be some real calories burning there! As a side note my mood/focus/concentration/reflexes are all pin sharp. Worries me a bit might get hooked on the effects if not the drug itself.

Man of Honour
OK so taking everyone's advice on board I've got my 2nd video of squat form - now with no sissy pad :p

It felt good, but the only problem I have is some soreness in my inner thigh. I've posted an email below pointing out the area where it hurts, not in a good way. Probably tight hips?

Video:

Pain area circled in red, it's on both legs.

hip.png
Much better mate.

The pain is due to tight medial hamstrings/adductors, which was bound to happen really as are stretched much more with a wider stance.

Two other tweaks that are needed:

1) your right foot seems to be turned out more than your left, and also your right foot seems to be pronating (rolling over onto your arch). My preference would be for slightly less turn out for both, but this will make depth harder

2) there is still a little bit of bend in your back at the bottom of the rep, not as bad as it was though. If you train with someone make sure they look out for this. For the time being, go as low as you can before your bum tucks under.

To help with your medial hams:
Lateral lunges
...not the crossover drop bit. Do them a lot slower and pause at the bottom so you can explore your tight angles.

My physio recently gave me these as I have similar tightness and they've really helped.

Key points:
- both feet parallel and flat on the floor
- shin of bent leg as vertical as posible so your arse is sat back quite far
- torso as upright as possible and with a straight back

Treat it as a mobilisation, so do several reps and ease into depth. In fact aim for something like 20 reps each side with the last 10-12 being really low.

and then these, which really hurt :D

not done this next one yet but it looks really good

Associate
Can anyone recommend any exercises to work out the lower back, we have most other workouts pretty sorted but we dont seem to be paying much attention the lower back.

thanks,

Permabanned
for reference i like sets of 10 hypers with 20kg then 40kg my much smaller training buddy manages the same weights so its not a huge weight. SLDL's go up near my deadlift, my training buddy does 115kg @ 73kg bodyweight. I do 150's with 8866 rep range. For good mornings i do progressive loading from 50kg to 90kg 4 sets of 8.

general guide.

Permabanned
i do lower back after legs on leg day, i dont like to do it on back day because i hit the upper back from lots of different angles and adding in lower back work just drags the training out too far.

I wouldnt do all of those exercises that i mentioned however. my leg day currewntly goes

back squat 8888
SLDL 8888
Calf Raise 12-12-12-12
Weighted hyperextensions 10-10-10

Soldato

lol Freefaller - trying to get my head round how that works - but sounds good :) !

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Thanks ice, really appreciate the feedback. I'll get to work on those tight areas and post a video back in several weeks (getting married next week so will be busy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom