*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
i though IF and lean gains pretty much says the above is broscience?

dont avoid anything, just make sure every meal is well rounded and healthy.

Okay_face_RE_Demotivationals-s251x239-157585.jpg

Associate
Eat a solid meal about an hour, hour and a half before your workout. Something with carbs for energy and protein obviously.

Avoid fats pre and post workout, especially post workout as it slows the absorption rate during that crucial time :)

Heres me got it all wrong then. Im usually always pretty low carbs and my pre workout meal most time when training during the day is 4 whole eggs and 30g EVOO, and an apple:eek: 500cals of mostly which is fat. Pretty much never carbs after workout also...just protein or a meal within an hour which is protein/fat based.

Associate
Tried today to stop using the pad and get the bar in the correct position, but I had some big problems. As mentioned my shoulder flexibility is very poor, so with the bar in position my wrists were massively over stretched. Then as soon as some weight was on the bar I really struggled to keep it from dropping off my back - I'm guessing because my elbows and wrists were massively wrong. I basically can't squat at all with the way the bar is.

Here's some pics I took to show the problem.

IMG_2683.jpg

IMG_2681.jpg

I'm no expert, but personally I would just use a wider grip. For now at least to allow you to get the bar lower. In that photo the angle at your elbow looks quite narrow. My arms are bent at about 90 degrees and that allows me to rest the bar on my rear delts.

Caporegime
Tried today to stop using the pad and get the bar in the correct position, but I had some big problems. As mentioned my shoulder flexibility is very poor, so with the bar in position my wrists were massively over stretched. Then as soon as some weight was on the bar I really struggled to keep it from dropping off my back - I'm guessing because my elbows and wrists were massively wrong. I basically can't squat at all with the way the bar is.

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/mmccann722/IMG_2683.jpg

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/mmccann722/IMG_2681.jpg

Take a wider grip, and really pinch those shoulders back.

Something like this:
2ij13lj.jpg

or low bar position:
suwkzr.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Been a slog the past two weeks. Moved house, been abroad for work on sudden notice, split up with on and off girlfriend (We're on again right now) and off to Norway tomorrow for 10 days. Been hellish trying to keep up the training regime and chugging enough protein. This stuff aint easy.

Man of Honour
I have this!! Thinking about it my shoulders arn't on the bench. Could this be whats hurting me? It's only started happening recently, since i've got to 60kg benching (it's quite hard for me, i just managed 5x5 but my shoulder was killing on the last set)

So to fix this i just squeeze my blades together as if im holding a pencil...then try push them towards my feet??

That looks and feels really unnatural? I never see people doing this.
That's because most people do it wrong, seriously (unless I've described it poorly and you're doing something funny :p)

Yeah that's a big external rotation problem. I posted some stuff for that on the previous page.

Try a wider grip too, but that can be worse for some people. Even if that does work I would work on your external rotation, and also your thoracic mobility.

Caporegime
Caporegime
OP
That's the first time I've read or heard that.

How often are we supposed to do this? When is the best time to do it?

What does it achieve?

I've a few good articles on this somewhere, I'll try and find them later for you.
Once I start lifting properly again I think i'm going to follow the DE/ME principle as it seems to be the way to go. though smolov is so so so tempting lol

Soldato
Pleased with how my deadlifts went today. Did 5x5 90Kg, then 3x 102.5Kg which is my PB. Grip is starting to be the weakest point now. Any tips for strengthening my grip? Do you guys also use chalk or gloves, as my hands get very sweaty so the bar was slipping?

Bench press and squats are still weak. I also keep missing squat sessions as there are a few squat rack hoggers at the gym now. One in particular squats heavy, but does like one rep, then stands sits in the squat rack resting for 10 minutes, not letting anyone else have a go. Then when he is finished squatting, takes the barbell off the rack and uses it for deadlifts, even though there is a 6ft bar for deadlifts (squat rack only take the 7ft bar). Makes me rage!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom