*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Talking to moi?

Milgo had a little peek, nothing too wrong now I believe. The obvious issues are slight bum raise when exploding up, this is fixed by just thinking about the lift more really, only do it occasionally :)

Other issue is bum tuck at the bottom, not sure how much or how often I do this, but I know it happens from time to tme. So it's something I need to work on via stretches etc.

I got some pointers by Milgo for my bench and fly form, which more than likely where some of the direct causes for my prolonged shoulder issues. So hopefully that will be sorted from now on, however I do have some shoulder rehab that I need to look in to.

yeah, you've been stuck around 75kg for ages no?

Caporegime
yeah, you've been stuck around 75kg for ages no?

Believe that was my max a while back aye.

Currently doing a 3 day split of legs/chest/back doing a 3x8 routine, slowly working the weights up, should I get stuck on a weight, i'll drop it to a 5x5 set until I break the barrier.

Going to do this until about March and see where I am, coupled with the increased macros i'm eating I'm hoping to get somewhere.

Soldato
Awful session this morning, never experienced anything like it. I was just WEAK! Warming up to my flat bench working weight of 72.5, got to 70 and it felt HEAVY! Ended up doing 5x5 @65kg and it was bloody hard! Waltzed through 5x5 70kg last week so I've no idea what happened. My diet this weekend wasn't even that bad, very disconcerting!

Soldato
Awful session this morning, never experienced anything like it. I was just WEAK! Warming up to my flat bench working weight of 72.5, got to 70 and it felt HEAVY! Ended up doing 5x5 @65kg and it was bloody hard! Waltzed through 5x5 70kg last week so I've no idea what happened. My diet this weekend wasn't even that bad, very disconcerting!

Everyone has days when they're feeling slightly worse and can't quite do as well as they'd like. Just keep up with it and put it down to one of those days :)

kd

Soldato
Weight is slowlyyy going up. Despite eating a huge amount of food (6 meals a day) - although I've been doing a little cardio to keep the fat off. Gained about 12LBS or so throught the autumn and winter... so I guess it's "not bad"

Man of Honour
I'm hoping it won't be too bad! Lol. Done a little bit of gvt in the past (10x10 like mr milgo said) I found the hardest part was keeping interested. I'm hoping by having a slight variation in exercises I won't lose interest too quickly.

Might try 4 weeks and see how I go.

Personally I like your split, I'd never do squats and deads on the same day... I like the volume too - seems decent.

However, I'd vary it a little.

1 week at 7x7
1 week deload at maybe less weight/volume
1 week at 4x4 (heavier)

something along those lines - varying the weights and the intensity week on week.

Soldato
FF, how do you know what weight to work with though? Or do you just guestimate? I'm a massive fan of progressive loading, and feel I'd struggle to notice strength increases if I varied the intensity/weight every week.

Man of Honour
The higher the volume the lower %age of your 1RM. It depends what you're after. Strength training tends to be lots of sets of low reps, but muchos power and high weight. A heavy session for me is 80-90% 1RM. Volume around 60% of 1RM.

It does make it more difficult to get round it in your head... however the theory goes that whilst progressive loading is a good way of challenging your muscles, your body only gets exposure to heavy weight for the end of your set and for a few reps. Doing lower reps with more sets, dedicated at full intensity is more conducive to strength gains. Then you deload the muscles and do more volume. Then back on it. After a few weeks, you can start increasing the weights for each session - in turn your 1RM will start to increase. After a brutal 90% week, I spend a week recovering (doing 40-50% work) then have taper back up to 50-60%. Then give some 1RMs a go.

Since I've started training again after my 6 months lay off (well just poor training and lack of consistency) back in October. I find that my power is coming back to me much more quickly and I'll be back up to strength soon following that program style.

I'll keep at it for a couple of months, and then go to another progam probably involving progressive loading - however I've got quite used to have a fixed weight for a workout now - makes it easier to log too! :o

Soldato
2 weeks in Thailand followed by JEt Lag and FLu have been harder to break away from than I had imagined.

I might just head back to Thailand to solve said problems :D

Associate
Last few months have been a normal(ish) 3 day split. Typical week would be...

Chest/shoulder.
Flat bench
Inc db press
Cable flies
Seated db shoulder press or front raises
lateral raises
Rear delt flies

Normally 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps. So fairly normal I think?

Do you not get fatigued mixing chest then shoulder? Isn't it a bit to much on your delts?

GAC

GAC

Soldato
well after yesterdays football training (3 hours worth) im rather sore and stiff, so no gym for me today il attack tomorow when im not as sore and hopefully when my 5kg's of proteins shown up yummy :D

Soldato
Personally I like your split, I'd never do squats and deads on the same day... I like the volume too - seems decent.

However, I'd vary it a little.

1 week at 7x7
1 week deload at maybe less weight/volume
1 week at 4x4 (heavier)

something along those lines - varying the weights and the intensity week on week.

The higher the volume the lower %age of your 1RM. It depends what you're after. Strength training tends to be lots of sets of low reps, but muchos power and high weight. A heavy session for me is 80-90% 1RM. Volume around 60% of 1RM.

It does make it more difficult to get round it in your head... however the theory goes that whilst progressive loading is a good way of challenging your muscles, your body only gets exposure to heavy weight for the end of your set and for a few reps. Doing lower reps with more sets, dedicated at full intensity is more conducive to strength gains. Then you deload the muscles and do more volume. Then back on it. After a few weeks, you can start increasing the weights for each session - in turn your 1RM will start to increase. After a brutal 90% week, I spend a week recovering (doing 40-50% work) then have taper back up to 50-60%. Then give some 1RMs a go.

Since I've started training again after my 6 months lay off (well just poor training and lack of consistency) back in October. I find that my power is coming back to me much more quickly and I'll be back up to strength soon following that program style.

I'll keep at it for a couple of months, and then go to another progam probably involving progressive loading - however I've got quite used to have a fixed weight for a workout now - makes it easier to log too! :o

That sounds great. I'm mainly doing Strength training and might give something like this a go. A bit of a 'newb' question, but what do you mean by deload; I know you said 40-50%, but do you do more reps and less sets?

Man of Honour
After the uber heavy session, I do medium weights (50% ish) for a few more reps than the strength session.

If you look at my last session:

Box squats 4x5, 3x5, 6x3, 3x2
Barbell Split squat 3x8, 3x8, 4x8, 3x8
Pull throughs 3x10, 3x10, 4x10, 3x8
Kneeling barbell roll outs 3x10

That was a 70% ish session.

This week, the volume (sets x reps ) will be higher, but the weights will be considerably lighter.

When I get onto the 90%, it'll be lots of sets of 2-3 reps max (normally around 6 sets).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom