***The 2021 Gym Rats Thread*** ᕦ( ͠°◞ °)ᕥ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yeah ANT 3 sets seems enough due to amount of pressing I do.

Laterals twice a week? Will be hard to fit in..

Chest twice a week, first session Bench 9 sets. 2 warm ups. so 7 working sets. Incline 3 sets towards end of workout.

Second session 9 sets bench again 2 warm ups. And 3 sets heavy DB bench.

I don't think it's too much I love pressing movements so it's biased towards that.

Tris is mostly CGBP, am happy with my tris not so happy with my biceps tho they don't seem to grow. :(

You have to be a form nazi with your bicep stuff I’ve found - easy to end up using anterior delts to help finish reps, momentum etc. Inserting appropriate Joe Bennett video about mechanics of bicep training in 3…2.. 1..:

Associate
This is the first thread I've seen on here about gyms and training.
I have just got back into weights at my local gym.
Has anyone tried the Mathias Method , (there are books you can order or get some free information online) for strength training ? It's primarily for powerlifting , ie bench press, squat and deadlift, with assistance exercises included to improve the Big 3. You take your weights for exercises as a % of 1RM and try adding about 5lbs a week to each exercise and your 1RM should increase pretty well over 12 weeks.

Soldato
So I had a year and a half off the gym when lockdown started. Decided the risk of catching Covid or the gyms suddenly shutting down weren’t worth the mental health risk of taking the choice away from me - so I decided to step back myself. The fact my second boy was born two weeks prior to lockdown meant priorities were easy to reassign anyway!

So with that said, I’ve been back 3 times a week over the last 2 months. The first couple of weeks were very humbling but strength has come back a lot faster than I anticipated - must be all the hefting of children!

Current stats aren’t mind blowing, and don’t match my previous records when I was last on gear, but I’m happy. I’ve started getting that “he lifts, bro” physique back too.

DB Bench Press: 32kg 3*8
Squats: 110kg 3*8
Deadlifts: 100kg 4*8
OHP: 55kg 3*6
Pull Ups: BW 3*6

Havent pushed for any 1RM attempts, but lack of experience with high weight lifts lately wouldn’t make them particularly impressive. Deadlifts are lower than squats due to cautiousness with some back pain recently, stopping me from pushing numbers as much. Squats are bizarrely strong, and not far off my old records - guess that happens when you don’t systematically skip leg day :p

Man of Honour
OP
So I had a year and a half off the gym when lockdown started. Decided the risk of catching Covid or the gyms suddenly shutting down weren’t worth the mental health risk of taking the choice away from me - so I decided to step back myself. The fact my second boy was born two weeks prior to lockdown meant priorities were easy to reassign anyway!

So with that said, I’ve been back 3 times a week over the last 2 months. The first couple of weeks were very humbling but strength has come back a lot faster than I anticipated - must be all the hefting of children!

Current stats aren’t mind blowing, and don’t match my previous records when I was last on gear, but I’m happy. I’ve started getting that “he lifts, bro” physique back too.

DB Bench Press: 32kg 3*8
Squats: 110kg 3*8
Deadlifts: 100kg 4*8
OHP: 55kg 3*6
Pull Ups: BW 3*6

Havent pushed for any 1RM attempts, but lack of experience with high weight lifts lately wouldn’t make them particularly impressive. Deadlifts are lower than squats due to cautiousness with some back pain recently, stopping me from pushing numbers as much. Squats are bizarrely strong, and not far off my old records - guess that happens when you don’t systematically skip leg day :p
Who's this green fog muppet character?

Good to see you're getting back at it bro.

Soldato
1st day doing actual squats with a bar and wow, muscle memory really kicked in. Was meant to keep it low and work on form after not doing them in what feels like forever.. Went up to 100kg after throwing in some paused on the way and then ended up doing a few sets on 130kg in the end. Dropped back to 100kg after 3 sets as I didn't want to push whatever luck I had! Pretty sure I hogged the rack for the whole session! Felt good walking down the steep stairs at the end with legs feeling like jelly (nearly face planted near the end).

DOMS are already kicking in but I've always enjoyed a good leg day!

Man of Honour
Result, I seem to have added a kg of mass this month. My weight seemed to have been pretty steady over the last 3. Current goal is for another 3kg. I can definitely see it on me too. Need to keep eating well.

Man of Honour
This could either be impressive or disappointing depending on where you're seeing it :p

Heh, true. All in the right places fortunately :p

I’m starting to look for tailored shirts. No shirts fit me anymore. Think I’ve found a couple of viable websites where you can submit your measurements.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hope this is the right thread. Can anyone recommend a lever lifting belt? Preferrably one readily available in the UK?

Only two options I have at the moment appear to be the 13mm Strength shop one or the SBD one?

Man of Honour
Hope this is the right thread. Can anyone recommend a lever lifting belt? Preferrably one readily available in the UK?

Only two options I have at the moment appear to be the 13mm Strength shop one or the SBD one?

I have the strength shop version and it’s brilliant. Can’t remember if it’s 10 or 13mm (10 I think), but it’s still going strong years later.

Man of Honour
Cheers dude, I’m likely going to get that one. My first belt and it seems a reasonable start?

Its the one I started with and haven’t looked back. It takes some getting used to, but it’s worth persevering. The belt gets better and more comfortable as it gets broken in. The lever is just effortless to use.

Man of Honour
I've gotten massively into boxing now so I'm trying to add a full 45Kg 150cm bag and a double ended ball to my home gym (power rack, high/low cable, Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells and kettle bell) and it's going to be cramped in there!

Soldato
Its the one I started with and haven’t looked back. It takes some getting used to, but it’s worth persevering. The belt gets better and more comfortable as it gets broken in. The lever is just effortless to use.

How should a belt fit? i've got one now and can't work out how loose or tight it should be for the life of me

Soldato
Thank you. SBD appeals because of their lever and I’ve seen Inzer mentioned. Will probably get the strength shop one though

Man of Honour
How should a belt fit? i've got one now and can't work out how loose or tight it should be for the life of me

To be honest initially it’s a bit of trial and error. I’d say mine fits snugly, not so loose or tight that I can’t fully brace against it. I remember people saying tight to the point where you can fit two fingers between the belt and you, but I’d say mine is slightly tighter than that. The more you use it and get the feel for it the more used to this you get. Most importantly you should feel the support it gives you as your bracing throughout a deadlift or squat movement.

Thank you. SBD appeals because of their lever and I’ve seen Inzer mentioned. Will probably get the strength shop one though

Yes, that SBD lever looks great. Having to adjust mine with a screw driver can be a pain, but that said I rarely adjust it anymore.

Soldato
@CaptainRAVE - the lever is what attracts me. Being in a calorie deficit and trying to lose some more belly im in a catch 22. I want that lever to adjust easy but also im in danger of movingdown a whole size of belt so not sure what to do for the best

Man of Honour
@CaptainRAVE - the lever is what attracts me. Being in a calorie deficit and trying to lose some more belly im in a catch 22. I want that lever to adjust easy but also im in danger of movingdown a whole size of belt so not sure what to do for the best

Yes, that’s tricky. If the whole belt is going to become obsolete you may want to wait. I mean adjusting is easy enough, you can just do that on the day before you go to the gym, even the screwdriver option doesn’t take long (some people even take one to the gym), but it’s an expensive belt if you think it won’t fit at all in due course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom