[[[The 2022 Gym Rats Thread]]] ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Cheers, will re-order the workouts. The main thinking when i do them is in supersets (i think!) since they work completely different muscles and keeps time down.

Curl > Tib Raise > Repeat with the rest period mainly coming from moving around switching equipment.

Same with the Lateral raise and Hip Flexor raises (when i get the iron shin)

EDIT - Also i decided i don't like the clanging of the cheap metal steel plates i have, along with the annoying habit of having 6x 5kg plates and then 2x 20kg ones and so i just have to load the barbell with the 5's which then means i can't use them on my dumbells. Along with the 20kg plates not being full size for deadlifts.

As such i've ordered a pair of the 10/15/20kg Mirafit splatter style bumper plates. They sell slightly damaged packaging ones on ebay and with the 10% off code on there i got them for just under £200 which i didn't think was too bad.

Last edited:
Shock horror I'm asking for protein snack advice, well protein bars/flapjacks to be more precise. The reason? I'm commuting more and travelling more for work and I like to have some snacks in my bag just in case (I won't be relying on them, but just as a filler between meals when I'm not working at home.) I do take some mixed natural nuts and raisins with me - but they disappear fairly quickly! :D It would be good to have another easy to carry snack with me.

The caveat, no soy protein / soya since it's absolutely god-awful. So if anyone knows of any protein snacks (things like biltong etc... is fine, but it's not protein I'm short of, it's just general food) that fill that gap. Oh and shakes aren't really something I enjoy and are a pain to have to deal with/carry etc... I prefer chewing/eating food rather than drinking food.

Not too worried about cost as long as it's a good nutritional snack.

Slice of whole meal bread + peanut butter + banana. Double it up for even more cals, and you have the option to eat the banana seperatley as well if you find from day to day the PB/Bread combo can tide you over sometimes.

Slice of whole meal bread + peanut butter + banana. Double it up for even more cals, and you have the option to eat the banana seperatley as well if you find from day to day the PB/Bread combo can tide you over sometimes.

Hmm probably sensible, need to make sure it's well wrapped up. Definitely will need 2 rounds! I'm on around 3.5k cals these days.

That's certainly my "go to" snack. @Freefaller are you more thinking of something packaged and non perishable though?

For stuff like that i tend to monitor HUKD and pick stuff up in bulk like these
https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/va...off-stacking-with-30-student-discount-3894579

I was thinking of something that can be stored that I can just leave in my bag for weeks at a time in case I get caught short. However Syla's option is far more sensible - probably just need to be a bit more disciplined, but often leave home before 6am.

Also those PhD bars contain soya protein which is a no no for me - however thanks! :)

Last edited:
A single round of that can easily be 500 cals! If you want a little variety and like chocolate spread as well you can add a little chocolate spread on one of the combos instead of a banana.

There is also the option of the skyr high protein yoghurts. I’ve been adding a handful of granola to mine as well to just pad it out a bit, really simple, quick and decent chunk of protein and cals.

A single round of that can easily be 500 cals! If you want a little variety and like chocolate spread as well you can add a little chocolate spread on one of the combos instead of a banana.

There is also the option of the skyr high protein yoghurts. I’ve been adding a handful of granola to mine as well to just pad it out a bit, really simple, quick and decent chunk of protein and cals.

Yes you're right - just being lazy.

Not sure a yoghurt will work, a) I've had an incident with yoghurt before! :D b) I avoid dairy as much as I can. However, you've inspired me to have a less lazy think about just being organised. I have some crunchy peanut butter - just need to make some bread and be ready to do it first thing in the morning.

Shock horror I'm asking for protein snack advice, well protein bars/flapjacks to be more precise. The reason? I'm commuting more and travelling more for work and I like to have some snacks in my bag just in case (I won't be relying on them, but just as a filler between meals when I'm not working at home.) I do take some mixed natural nuts and raisins with me - but they disappear fairly quickly! :D It would be good to have another easy to carry snack with me.

The caveat, no soy protein / soya since it's absolutely god-awful. So if anyone knows of any protein snacks (things like biltong etc... is fine, but it's not protein I'm short of, it's just general food) that fill that gap. Oh and shakes aren't really something I enjoy and are a pain to have to deal with/carry etc... I prefer chewing/eating food rather than drinking food.

Not too worried about cost as long as it's a good nutritional snack.

Mars and Snickers now do a varied range of protein based versions of their bars, and they are genuinely very good taste wise.

“Mars Hi Protein Bar (12 x 59g) - High Protein Energy Snack with Caramel, Nougat and Real Milk Chocolate - Contains 20g Protein”

Can’t link due to competitor but that’s the description of the standard Mars bar version, there’s about 10 different flavours you can get though. Since going up multiple weight classes and being happier there they do me well as a snack that isn’t just sugar calories (although they aren’t exactly not sugar based)

Mars and Snickers now do a varied range of protein based versions of their bars, and they are genuinely very good taste wise.

“Mars Hi Protein Bar (12 x 59g) - High Protein Energy Snack with Caramel, Nougat and Real Milk Chocolate - Contains 20g Protein”

Can’t link due to competitor but that’s the description of the standard Mars bar version, there’s about 10 different flavours you can get though. Since going up multiple weight classes and being happier there they do me well as a snack that isn’t just sugar calories (although they aren’t exactly not sugar based)

Sugar is unfortunately something that you have to consider.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look. I think Sylas is right though and preaching to the old skool gymrat in me that was always pushing others to prep food and nutrition themselves! It would be good to perhaps have something else on standby too.

The mars protein bar has soya beans in it which is a no no for me. The snickers one doesn't seem to though.

What weight class are you in? What discipline do you compete in?

Sugar is unfortunately something that you have to consider.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look. I think Sylas is right though and preaching to the old skool gymrat in me that was always pushing others to prep food and nutrition themselves! It would be good to perhaps have something else on standby too.

The mars protein bar has soya beans in it which is a no no for me. The snickers one doesn't seem to though.

What weight class are you in? What discipline do you compete in?

I went from 135 to 185, walk around at 195 now, used to do a lot mma and boxing. Was fed up of being skinny and tall so put on a bit of size. Haven’t done much post lockdown as the only training I could do was getting my ass kicked at pros only sessions so I’ve stuck with keeping the size on just for the aesthetics now.

I went from 135 to 185, walk around at 195 now, used to do a lot mma and boxing. Was fed up of being skinny and tall so put on a bit of size. Haven’t done much post lockdown as the only training I could do was getting my ass kicked at pros only sessions so I’ve stuck with keeping the size on just for the aesthetics now.

No more boxing or MMA? It's good fitness work. I did BJJ whilst at uni (only for a couple of years) tempted to start again but being in my 40s not sure if I'll enjoy it, but I do like the fitness element of it. I never compete in lifting or anything else as I'm just not competitive enough to want to do it. As for boxing and fighting I loathe it! :o however I hugely respect the training and discipline that does into it.

I'd you're happy with keeping up your physique it's still going to promote fitness for doing exercise and just generally keeping your body moving. So I take it you do mainly bodybuilding sort of work? That'll still help with strength and mobility and generally keeping your body active which is awesome.

No more boxing or MMA? It's good fitness work. I did BJJ whilst at uni (only for a couple of years) tempted to start again but being in my 40s not sure if I'll enjoy it, but I do like the fitness element of it. I never compete in lifting or anything else as I'm just not competitive enough to want to do it. As for boxing and fighting I loathe it! :o however I hugely respect the training and discipline that does into it.

I'd you're happy with keeping up your physique it's still going to promote fitness for doing exercise and just generally keeping your body moving. So I take it you do mainly bodybuilding sort of work? That'll still help with strength and mobility and generally keeping your body active which is awesome.

I too hate fighting, it’s why I think I’m drawn to it as a sport rather than violence. It also means I’ve had a few occasions where meek innocent old me has been able to defend myself or others at the shock of someone who didn’t think they’d be going home early with a broken bits.

Now I just lift, I use Wendlers 5/3/1 for progression and then add on some bodybuilding accessories to shape myself a little. Cardio took a big hit with long covid that I think I’m mostly over. My gym mates want me back on the mats but it’s a lot of stress on the body in comparison to just lifting I found, I’ve got a rotator cuff injury too so my jab isn’t what it used to be.

Yeah rotator cuff a suck. Having suffered dislocated shoulder my RC is stuffed. Good ol' rugby for you!

Glad you're still enjoying it. Perhaps you should do some boxing fitness/speed work to keep your cardio up?

Back to it today after a holiday and the longest gym rest I’ve had since first lockdown. Should be interesting to see how my strength stacks up this week. Weighing in a tad lighter, but mainly water loss I think. Going to up my calorie intake to see if I can push through this plateau. Steadily moving into XL clothing (and body fat staying pretty low) :D

Most importantly my joints feel rested. I just need to be a tad careful not to overdo my calf which has been niggling for a while.

Adding to the pity party lol
Physio thinks I've done my ACL, it's not that painful to be honest so I've been okayed to get back in the gym from today and be sensible.
Now to start the fun process of getting it sorted on the NHS.......

Adding to the pity party lol
Physio thinks I've done my ACL, it's not that painful to be honest so I've been okayed to get back in the gym from today and be sensible.
Now to start the fun process of getting it sorted on the NHS.......
Have you considered looking in to kneesovertoes guy and the ATG program. You may be very surprised by what you could achieve through exercise rather than surgery. Plus theres no wait time.

Have you considered looking in to kneesovertoes guy and the ATG program. You may be very surprised by what you could achieve through exercise rather than surgery. Plus theres no wait time.
Need a scan to find of severity first which is booked in and hopefully will only be a few weeks. With current general NHS surgery wait times I'll probably end up just rehabbing in that time anyways but will be seeing the physio to help me through it.

Need a scan to find of severity first which is booked in and hopefully will only be a few weeks. With current general NHS surgery wait times I'll probably end up just rehabbing in that time anyways but will be seeing the physio to help me through it.
I mean theres no harm in looking in to it, and even starting the zero program. As long as you can work through the exercises pain free, you will only benefit yourself. Its effectively a win/win, you can keep exercising and you can potentially improve your knee health, and that could even lead to no surgery required.

Back
Top Bottom