[[[The 2022 Gym Rats Thread]]] ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Man of Honour
Definitely feel like I could give the gym a go tomorrow. It’s bench day, so not quite as demanding as it could be. It could go horribly wrong, will just have to see how my body responds. Need to bulk again, have definitely shed a couple of kg this week.

Soldato
Definitely feel like I could give the gym a go tomorrow. It’s bench day, so not quite as demanding as it could be. It could go horribly wrong, will just have to see how my body responds. Need to bulk again, have definitely shed a couple of kg this week.
I was out for a week with covid, and just took it easy the first week back to be sure. I still felt pushed after the workouts but not nuked.

Soldato
Myprotein are still doing 5kg bags. At least in some of the flavours anyway. I was going to order some yesterday as I am halfway down mine at the moment, but prices seem to have gone crazy. £267 for a 5kg bag, even with their discount code it still comes in at £167. For that price it is cheaper to buy ON tubs (2.27kg for £60). No idea what is going on with MP.

Don't be using myprotein. Load of bovine excrement using DFS sales tactics. 5kg for £200 lol....then offer you 40% off code or some garbage. Their quality isn't great either now. Reduced the goodies too. Impact protein has less g per scoop than 2 years ago.

Dolphin nutrition site is better. Easier to use on desktop though as their mobile website is a bit clunky. MUCH cheaper than myprotein.

Associate
Don't be using myprotein. Load of bovine excrement using DFS sales tactics. 5kg for £200 lol....then offer you 40% off code or some garbage. Their quality isn't great either now. Reduced the goodies too. Impact protein has less g per scoop than 2 years ago.

Dolphin nutrition site is better. Easier to use on desktop though as their mobile website is a bit clunky. MUCH cheaper than myprotein.
Like I said, not ordered from them in a year, was just amazed at their prices.

I have ordered from Amazon to be honest, ON Gold Standard 2.27kg tub for £44.99 delivered. That will last me for about 6 months probably.

Man of Honour
I've moved back to using branded stuff like per4m/Strom, proper British brands flavour and quality is great and these days it's about the same price as the bulk suppliers are trying to rip us off for

Soldato
Ive never had a quality issue with Myprotein, sure I very much dislike the sales approach they have but then most of the protein selling sites do it to a certain extent.

In terms of quality of the protein as well they are actually pretty good, they arent using "special formulations" of any of that jazz, just keeping it nice and simple, and from a flavour perspective i cant fault their strawberries and cream.

Ive spent so much time looking around on all the other sites and only now are sites that sell comparable protein getting cheaper, BBW, Bulk, TPW, etc most of the stuff i find on Dolphin is more expensive, and/or bulked up junk that i dont have the cals for, or has an inflated protein content through bcaa profiles etc and is lower in quality.

Anyway, ive taken a punt on BBW's taster pack and have 5 flavours from them to try, the only thing im not keen on is they use stevia as one of their sweetners, im just hoping its not going to cause too much of an after taste!

Soldato
I've moved back to using branded stuff like per4m/Strom, proper British brands flavour and quality is great and these days it's about the same price as the bulk suppliers are trying to rip us off for
Not sure how its comparable? i cant find a protein on either site thats even close on price!! 2kg from either site is upwards of £49, and use protein blends which are often inferior due to the blend having lower quality protein thrown in, such as caesin for example. Where BBW is £27 for 2kg, and MP is £52 for 2.5kg, flat blend whey protein concentrate, no mesh different proteins together.

Man of Honour
Not sure how its comparable? i cant find a protein on either site thats even close on price!! 2kg from either site is upwards of £49, and use protein blends which are often inferior due to the blend having lower quality protein thrown in, such as caesin for example. Where BBW is £27 for 2kg, and MP is £52 for 2.5kg, flat blend whey protein concentrate, no mesh different proteins together.
Nothing wrong with blends in my mind.
Both MP and BBW need codes to get those prices and to be honest I'll actively avoid anywhere that runs their business like that and support the smaller guys who are at least up front with their costs.

Soldato
Fair enough. I’m a deal hunter so happy to use browser extensions or a quick websearch especially if it can save me £10-£25+ per order.

Man of Honour
I'm definitely cutting my nose off to spite my face but I'm the same with car insurance if I can go on the comparison sites and find it cheaper with someone else I won't even bother trying to haggle with my current one as I'd rather avoid giving them the business for being a pain in the arse :o

Just getting stubborn and grumpy in my old age :cry:

Man of Honour
I’ve scaled all of my training sessions back slightly. Feeling a little bit better/stronger each day, so I can see me getting there. Dropped a couple of kg, but it seems to have mostly been fat and water. Should get there in a few weeks.

Soldato
About time for a deload week me thinks. Ive not missed a session since getting back in the gym in december and this last couple of weeks progress has been pretty limited with the occasional missed rep or RPE 7-8 sets feeling more like 9-10's!

Man of Honour
Having multiple cheat days at the moment to try and regain strength. I calculate I’ve been setback between 2-4 weeks depending on the training day, not including a couple of Covid weeks. Not disastrous, possibly having to push a tad more than recently to not fall further behind. Still coughing a bit after each set, but I can manage a full squat/deadlift program which are my two most demanding days. I often struggle over the summer, so need to do what I can and look ahead to the autumn.

Soldato
Why push yourself when you are still recovering from covid? surely you are just going to build up fatigue faster and possibly set yourself back more then actually catching up?

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit of mid year motivation, today is the start of the second half of the year, I hope everyone has had a good first half, and / or is up for pushing the second half of the year!

Any 2nd half of the year goals for anyone?

I am aiming to bulk now through to the end of the year, goal is to gain 6-7lb in that time.

Man of Honour
Bit of mid year motivation, today is the start of the second half of the year, I hope everyone has had a good first half, and / or is up for pushing the second half of the year!

Any 2nd half of the year goals for anyone?

I am aiming to bulk now through to the end of the year, goal is to gain 6-7lb in that time.

Need to get back on track, but I now have 9 weeks off work, so fingers crossed I can get there. Have mostly had this week off from training. Luckily I’ve trimmed down without losing too much muscle and hopefully strength. Gives me a good bit of room to bulk again.

Back
Top Bottom