[[[The 2022 Gym Rats Thread]]] ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Man of Honour
PB week for me, now time for a week off (holiday time).

71.5kg bodyweight.

165kg Deadlift (up from 160kg):

155kg Squat (up from 147.5kg) - this is technically a fail. I released my brace before re racking and when I went to walk forward my hips move and nothing else. It was really weird:

Got a 152.5kg beforehand which was still a new PB anyway:

100kg Bench (up from 95kg) - absolutely horrible form. Really need to work on these:

Another 12 weeks then we go again!

Very impressive.

Managed a deadlift of 150kg @ 74kg bodyweight back in May. Now I'm the same weight as you (after gaining and then loosing holiday weight) Tried 140kgs a couple of days ago and couldn't get it off the floor.

But going away again in a week or so time, so I'll have some extra body weight behind me at least when I get back in the gym.

Soldato
Nice work @ShortWarning. That squat is only a technical failure from a competive powerlifting perspective, so don’t take anything away from it because you didn’t rerack. Solid lifting, well done.

What are you doing for your training, is it a specific program you’re following?

Soldato
Nice work @ShortWarning. That squat is only a technical failure from a competive powerlifting perspective, so don’t take anything away from it because you didn’t rerack. Solid lifting, well done.

What are you doing for your training, is it a specific program you’re following?

Thanks!

No, I have my friend/coach programming for me (I'm sure it probably is a specific program though, I'll ask next time I see him). It's mostly 3x5/3x3 of every variation of the exercise, so deadlift day we'll do snatch grip/standard/deficit, squat day - squats, pause squats, front squats, bench day will be incline/flat/decline. Although it's mostly 3x5/3x3 the rep ranges change most weeks and some weeks are crazy volume stuff, 10x6 or something but obviously much lighter.

Soldato
I hurt my lower back (close to the area that connects the spine to the pelvis) during deadlifts, yesterday. It was my usual working weight but I cleary wasn't in the best form. Hopefully I stopped early enough before doing serious damage.

Its a dull pain that I feel if I slouch or lean over without bracing my core. Well their goes my plans for hitting a 200KG deadlift by the end of year:(. Hopefully I can at least make progress in other areas. I'm going to keep it light for now and see what I can do without agitating it.

As a side note, the calorie counting has been going well so there is at least a win somewhere.

Caporegime
I'm currently on 2150 per day, which seems to be a reasonably effective and sensible balance for me.

I've done it very gradually, though. I looked at several calorie counters to get an idea of what sort of numbers I was looking at.

I began with around ~2600 - 3,000 and even with quite a bit of cardio the weight was slowly increasing.

Next, dropping down to ~2350 started to show some signs of movement in the right direction - but only just.

Now, at 2150, although I could easily eat more, I've gotten so used to it and plan accordingly. Wish I had the metabolism to chomp away on ~3,000 +, though. :D

Soldato
I'm currently on 2150 per day, which seems to be a reasonably effective and sensible balance for me.

I've done it very gradually, though. I looked at several calorie counters to get an idea of what sort of numbers I was looking at.

I began with around ~2600 - 3,000 and even with quite a bit of cardio the weight was slowly increasing.

Next, dropping down to ~2350 started to show some signs of movement in the right direction - but only just.

Now, at 2150, although I could easily eat more, I've gotten so used to it and plan accordingly. Wish I had the metabolism to chomp away on ~3,000 +, though. :D
You're aim is cutting at the moment right?

Soldato
First real test of my routine coming up since I started training again. I go away on holiday not this Friday but next Friday for a week.

Im lining it up as a deload week by extending my current training block 2 weeks. Im just not sure if I should fully enjoy the break, or still train as I normally would (but deloaded) to keep in the swing of things.

Ive hit every session 4 days per week in 2022, a little bit of fear of taking the foot of the gas might let sloppiness creep in could be playing on my mind.
Gained 5lbs in the week, even though i kept calories to within a reasonable level of my current diet plan, did 4 workouts as part of a deload week, and walked an average of 15k steps per day which is probably 1-2k more then normal.

Im viewing this as a lot of water weight gain, as there is no way i was even close to a big enough surplus, average daily cals was 3.3k, average daily burn was 2.9k, so at worst if i factor in an additional 15% calories due to estimating everything then i was in a max surplus of 6.2k cals which would be 2lb fat gain at most.

Going to see how this first week back treats me. Potentially a planned week of max testing before a new strength focused cycle.

Man of Honour
Back from my couple of weeks off for wedding/get away.
First weigh in tomorrow morning, expecting a good 20lb gain as we spent the last week in Manchester fully enjoying all the great food places up there.
Did do a fair bit of walking but I'd need to run multiple marathons to offset the eating :cry:

Diet is back to normal today, back in the gym tomorrow, head down to pass the 200lb mark and reassess from there.

Soldato
I'm relatively new to the gym (6 months) and lifting weights in general, it's been 10+ years since I last gym'd. I've just started incorporating some loaded squats into my routine (bulgarian split, goblet), but am a bit concerned about a pre-exising lower back issue. I'm seeing my physio next week, but has anyone got any advice in general? My aim is to slowly build up strength and work towards incorporating deadlfts and back squats etc.

Soldato
If you've not been training for 10+ years and working a desk job, ensure your well stretched prior to loading your lower back. Glutes/hams/hip flexors will be the culprits, ensure these aren't tight and work up from there.

edit: and I don't mean static stretches prior to exercise, I mean away from the gym, make every effort to make sure the usual suspects aren't tight.

Soldato
If you've not been training for 10+ years and working a desk job, ensure your well stretched prior to loading your lower back. Glutes/hams/hip flexors will be the culprits, ensure these aren't tight and work up from there.

edit: and I don't mean static stretches prior to exercise, I mean away from the gym, make every effort to make sure the usual suspects aren't tight.

Yeah, being increasingly sedanrty of the last several years has caused the lower back issue - which I'm seeing the physio for anyway. I have a program that I usually do daily to help with this, so the gym is in addition to it!

Soldato
entirely depends what your lower back issue actually is. If its just build up of lower back pain due to stiffness and tightness then exercise and strengthening it could well just be the answer you are looking for.

Soldato
entirely depends what your lower back issue actually is. If its just build up of lower back pain due to stiffness and tightness then exercise and strengthening it could well just be the answer you are looking for.

I've had lots of physio time, a few suggestions and an MRI scan with no positive 'diagnosis' as such. The lower back pain is very very mild, but it irritates the sciatic nerve which is the main symptom. Based on recent conversations with my physio - it seems to be similar to you suggested build up due to lack of movement and excercise over time. The more exercise I do, the better it seems to be but I'm just a bit paranoid over over-doing it and something going pop! :)

Man of Honour
COVID, summer, being away for a couple of weeks I’ve not lost strength, but I’m as trim as I have been. Back to normal next week and will then start a new bulk for the winter. If anything to help me push through my bench/shoulder/arm plateau. As suggested here I’ll switch to whole milk in my smoothies. I may take advantage of the full cooked breakfast in work too.

I’ll also be away for a few weekends, so I’ve reworked my training program and will try to pack more into Sunday through Thursday. Maybe at the expense of a few deadlift days.

Working off a 225 squat for the first time in a while which I’m happy about.

Soldato
Now ive been back training consistently for the first 8 months of the year, had a holiday break, its about time to do a more strength focused training cycle. For this i actually need to know roughly what my 1RM's are, so this week is an RM testing. Having not done any working sets of less then 5 on any lift this is going to be interesting.

Here is my squat from last night, its not pretty but it moved, a 1x150kg @67.5kg bodyweight.

Associate
Hi guys,

This is my 5 months progress. 5 weeks into a cut now losing around 1kg a week. 3 lifting session 2 cv sessions and lots of walking every day. 10k steps+ and 2100 cals which will be dropped down further in the coming weeks as i get closer to the end of the cut which will be 12 weeks.. Cant wait to see how i look in another 6 months.

Current numbers-115kg bench,140kg deadlift,130kg squat. Training hypertrophy

My progress pictures

Back
Top Bottom