[[[The 2022 Gym Rats Thread]]] ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Soldato
What protein are you using? I cant see how your having issues when using a blender, unless you're using almost no liquid!!

Soldato
Feeling a bit rough but cracking on. Nasty sore throat came on pretty quickly Wednesday night / thrusday morning and in full swing now blegh..

Anyway how does one get a decent shot of thier back! I swear I can’t get a decent shot without looking wonky and small (probably because I am, but still!)

Soldato
I suspect I've had some sort of long covid.

I've struggled for a year to eat enough to go the gym and put on 2 stone in that time.

However, recently my appetite is back, started noticing it when I popped in for a pint on the way home from the gym, normally I'm not hungry after exercise, but suddenly i walked in, smelled fried food and pizza and was salivating.

I'm now putting on weight more easily, though still doing mainly legs due to my shoulder being damaged for 6 weeks now.

The NHS have been amazing with my shoulder, i had a phone consultation due to being away, followed by a physical exam and then a follow up call. All the way they've bent the rules around booking protocols to make sure I've been seen asap.

Soldato
How do we feel about people showing up to the gym with a cold?

It's been absolutely ages since I've had one but I think I'm getting one. I've taken some covid tests and they are negative. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it but now I'm not so sure.

Man of Honour

It's been absolutely ages since I've had one but I think I'm getting one. I've taken some covid tests and they are negative. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it but now I'm not so sure.
Unless they're absolutely honking and coughing/sneezing/snotting all over the place I wouldn't even notice.

Soldato
Good work @Omega_ although you did completely cover up your chest in the posing !

@ShortWarning no issues with it, as others have said as long as your not coughing, hacking, snotting all over the place then most wont notice!

I got a new barbell last night, finally treated my self to an upgrade for my home gym and the difference between the new bar and my starter basic bar are insane, especially how much extra knurling i will have towards the centre, with my old bar ive been barely having 2 fingers on the knurling while deadlifting... cant wait to get using it!
gusgcgE.png
4n3DMXi.jpg
hDcAIb4.jpg
zxf6cYY.jpg
VwRtZ8Q.jpg
AETBnu1.jpg
Also attempting to see how my back looks.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What is the recommended amount of time to wait before hitting the gym after dinner? I usually try and leave 1-1.5hr but I'm.not sure if that's long enough to fuel my workout

Depends on size of meal, how quickly the contents are digested etc. If you’ve not stuffed your face so much if you exert yourself you worry about it coming back up, it’s not a big deal really. As long as you’ve not been eating poverty rations all day, if you’re training in the evening then feeling fuelled will come from having had adequate food earlier in the day. Just be sure to get a decent bolus of protein after you train/before bed.

With weights you’re mainly eating beforehand to minimise muscle protein breakdown during the session as you don’t need a lot of energy floating around like a cardio bunny would; of the total time you’re in the gym, the amount that actually involves pushing or pulling things and working is much shorter.

Soldato

We've still got big rolls of thick green tissue paper and disinfectant spray all around the gym, so as long as people wipe down the machine/weights after then there isn't much of an issue.

One bonus of my shoulder being injured is my legs are getting bigger quickly, so much so all my trousers are tight, to the point probably 75% of those l was wearing a year ago dont fit. At the weekend I was having a cull of stuff I cant wear anymore and found £60 in the pocket of some jeans I've not worn for months!

Soldato
Depends on size of meal, how quickly the contents are digested etc. If you’ve not stuffed your face so much if you exert yourself you worry about it coming back up, it’s not a big deal really. As long as you’ve not been eating poverty rations all day, if you’re training in the evening then feeling fuelled will come from having had adequate food earlier in the day. Just be sure to get a decent bolus of protein after you train/before bed.

With weights you’re mainly eating beforehand to minimise muscle protein breakdown during the session as you don’t need a lot of energy floating around like a cardio bunny would; of the total time you’re in the gym, the amount that actually involves pushing or pulling things and working is much shorter.

Thanks for that, I'll stick to what I'm doing now along with a nice strong coffee before I head into the gym

Soldato
OP
you had surgery?

Yup. A few here have. Went to Poland as it was half the cost of here private. You can’t remove pubertal gyno any other way unfortunately - once the breast tissue has formed it’s permanent unless excised. Made a huge difference to my confidence; even with training I disliked being topless because of it. Can’t even tell I had it now.

Soldato
Can someone advise on how to optimise my lower days (leg days)

Let me lay it out first. I do legs on Monday and Thursday.

Generally:

Squats: 4 x 6-8
RDL :4 x 6-8
Leg Ext: 3 x 10-12
Hamstring Curls: 3x 10-12
Calves

My issue is my lower back is taking a beating. And as the weight is going up on the Squats and RDLs I didn't fancy doing squats and rdls again on Thurs.

Is this two much to do twice a week?

Is there a better way to organise this?

Any suggestion welcome.

Caporegime
I don't think it's too much, though I believe in trying to achieve the most by spending as little time/frequency as possible. Sometimes, less is more.

After all, you can always increase it a little. I would try working each muscle group only once per week (I wish I had done that when I was young and starting out).

Man of Honour
Can someone advise on how to optimise my lower days (leg days)

Let me lay it out first. I do legs on Monday and Thursday.

Generally:

Squats: 4 x 6-8
RDL :4 x 6-8
Leg Ext: 3 x 10-12
Hamstring Curls: 3x 10-12
Calves

My issue is my lower back is taking a beating. And as the weight is going up on the Squats and RDLs I didn't fancy doing squats and rdls again on Thurs.

Is this two much to do twice a week?

Is there a better way to organise this?

Any suggestion welcome.
Have you considered doing squats on the hack squat machine instead? More likely to eliminate bad form and potential back injury.

Back
Top Bottom