ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ ||| The 2023/2024 Gym Rats Thread ||| ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Soldato
I was at "The Gym" (franchise) yesterday and was told I had to put my shoes back on for deadlifts. I got unreasonably angry about this (not at the person telling me this, just in general).

I'm thinking of buying some primark converse knock offs to keep them happy.

Soldato
I was at "The Gym" (franchise) yesterday and was told I had to put my shoes back on for deadlifts. I got unreasonably angry about this (not at the person telling me this, just in general).

Or Deadlift slippers?

Soldato
I was thinking about them but it's more than I would like to spend on something I use every now and again when I go to the same gym as my mrs.

I've ordered a pair of water shoes for a tenner. I'll see how I get on with them.
If you had them, you could use them all the time :D

Man of Honour

Just deadlift in shoes... I do it in my weightlifting shoes, but my technique sucks, anyway.

More to the point, I can't be bothered to take them off just for deadlifts.

Man of Honour
OK lets talk another subject. Bulgarian split squats.

Who does them? Are they really as good as I read online?

If you had a primary slot for legs on one out of two leg days are Bulgarian split squats really worth doing over a leg press for example?

(I already do heavy squats on the other leg day)

BSS are probably the best functional hypertrophy and strength exercise ever.

You can go for crazy unilateral overload compared to any other kind of squatting, and - being unilateral - they balance you out better.

Do them and win.

Man of Honour
I don’t have any direct experience with their general training shoes but nobody seems to like their (Olympic) weightlifting shoes these days compared to legacy models from them you can’t buy any more, so take what you will from that. If you’re looking to avoid spending £90+ maybe look at the UnderArmour Tribase Reigns as those are also a ‘suitable for leg days’ trainer and they’re in the Jan sales ATM.

I think is is probably a factor of them not really having gotten on the Crossfit train. They made a half-hearted attempt (which was rubbish), but there is nothing wrong with their shoes aside from the look.

IMHO.

Man of Honour
Have had a tiny bit of knee pain on and off for a couple of weeks. Have taken some time off squats and bent over rows, going to try again tomorrow and then build in rows again later if knee is ok. Nothing major I don’t think, runners knee/quad tendon inflammation. Pain top middle of knee and even then it’s only 2/10 or so on pain scale. Age isn’t stopping my numbers too much, I’m the biggest/strongest I’ve been, but I am definitely getting more niggles.

It was my elbow a few months ago (golfers elbow), 6-8 weeks for that to go. Back to bicep curls again, but am still staying away from pull ups. I need to build those back in carefully soon. Now it’s my knee.

Nearly back to PB bench. 2kgs shy of 174kg. Squats pushing into new territory, currently 255kg, assuming my knee doesn’t set me back. Probably a decent bit above 255kg, but I always progress as slowly/safety as I can. I stay away from deads these days, but do other back work. I don’t really count my 300+kg shrugs, but they’re quite fun and I’m happy to even move that weight tbh.

It’s actually quite frustrating when you know the strength is there, but your joints don’t allow it! I think I’m going to really struggle when I get to an age where I have to stop dropping numbers or can’t do this anymore, even briefly compromising my training has been tough mentally.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have had a tiny bit of knee pain on and off for a couple of weeks. Have taken some time off squats and bent over rows, going to try again tomorrow and then build in rows again later if knee is ok. Nothing major I don’t think, runners knee/quad tendon inflammation. Pain top middle of knee and even then it’s only 2/10 or so on pain scale. Age isn’t stopping my numbers too much, I’m the biggest/strongest I’ve been, but I am definitely getting more niggles.

It was my elbow a few months ago (golfers elbow), 6-8 weeks for that to go. Back to bicep curls again, but am still staying away from pull ups. I need to build those back in carefully soon. Now it’s my knee.

Nearly back to PB bench. 2kgs shy of 174kg. Squats pushing into new territory, currently 255kg, assuming my knee doesn’t set me back. Probably a decent bit above 255kg, but I always progress as slowly/safety as I can. I stay away from deads these days, but do other back work. I don’t really count my 300+kg shrugs, but they’re quite fun and I’m happy to even move that weight tbh.

It’s actually quite frustrating when you know the strength is there, but your joints don’t allow it! I think I’m going to really struggle when I get to an age where I have to stop dropping numbers or can’t do this anymore, even briefly compromising my training has been tough mentally.

You could try to supplementing with collagen.

I have a fairly major knee issue which I am trying to live with. To keep it short my left knee which I had an acl reconstruction on back in 2004 has became loose since 2020 when I went for a run. For 3 years I had really bad pain, inflammation and laxity.

I started supplementing with collagen in Oct 2022, first I started with a small dose 3g... then eventually I bought powered and started taking 10g just before gym session.

It absolutely helped me. It brought the pain from a stinging 8 down to a 3-4. However I still had flare ups.

Since Christmas 2023 I have increased my dose from 10g to 20g (medical papers that have researched the optimal dose say 15g, but I take 20g as it's just easier to take 2 scoops) and I have noticed a big improvement.

Knee is much more tolerant and resilient. I still have laxity in the knee but that's why I am doing my Bulgarian Split Squats. :)

You could also try adding a turmeric supplement as well.

Also just to note you should try to keep your vitamin c up when you take collagen as the vitamin c helps the body use the collagen.

I take 500mg vitamin c tablet.

---

As a side note, back in 2014 I was at my strongest. However I ended up dislocating my shoulder. For 7 years I had laxity and pain in my left shoulder. I was out of the gym for years etc... Over the years it got more stable but still remained sore. In 2021 I got back in the gym to try to rehab my knee.

However I couldn't press without pain. Anything over 60kg on the bench would hurt and shoulder presses where even worse.

As I mentioned above I started with the collagen to help my knee, but then I suddenly noticed a few months later that the pain in my shoulder had more or less gone which was a welcome surprise.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ll give those a try, cheers. Any particular brand?

Plenty of good brands:

I have bought and recommend these:

Pricey brands:

Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (types 1 and 3 bovine (cow) source)
Revive Natural (Multi collagen contains I, II, III, V & X - II is good for cartilage)

Cheaper I have not tried yet:

Nutravita (types 1 and 3 bovine (cow) source)

And lastly Bulk have a sale on atm so I have recently bought from them. However I have not tried it yet to know what the quality is like:

Bulk (types 1 and 3 bovine (cow) source)

The other thing to know is that collagen also comes in Marine type i.e from fish and seafood sources. I have never tried it myself.

I mix these things with warm water. Usually either with my morning coffee or pre gym I boil some water (luke warm).

Last edited:
Soldato
Question for you old boys... mid-30s now how bad does getting old get? I'm starting to feel recovery tank and although I'm strong I don't quite have the same energy

I'm 41 and I don't find the recovery that bad to be honest, it's more the shoulder niggles, back and joint pain, and also the thought of potentially harming yourself that's the worst.

Man of Honour
Question for you old boys... mid-30s now how bad does getting old get? I'm starting to feel recovery tank and although I'm strong I don't quite have the same energy

By lifting smarter I’m probably less injured now than I was when I was younger. I train on fewer days and probably can’t do as many days in a row as I used to, but then I’m also lifting much heavier than younger me. Maybe I don’t move quite as quickly as I used to. Better sleep and eating seems to overcome the rest. I think coming around to a powerlifting routine slightly older means I’ve also not worn myself out quite as much by this point, nor did I make as many of the ‘younger’ ego lifting mistakes. 38 and still getting fitter and stronger.

Soldato
If you had them, you could use them all the time :D
I'm actually loving the water shoes. Just like wearing socks but with grip.

39 now (40 in July). Recovery is no worse (for lifting at least) than it was in my late 20's/30's. BJJ injuries are easier to pick up and my recovery for that definitely takes longer these days.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm training for a time trial and have been working to increase the number of pull-ups I can do. I found a spartan-focussed training programme for increasing the number of pull-ups, which includes some inverted rows as some of the workouts. They hurt more than I expected ...

Soldato
Thoughts on returning to the gym after an injury? Do I just take it easy and work slowly back up to my work weights the first time back and see how it goes then plan sessions from then on in? Been doing Stronglifts, so might it be an idea to try all 5 lifts, but at reduced weight for the first session to gauge aches/pain/mobility etc?
Hit a deer on the motorbike the other day, so been a little bit laid up lol!
Ta

Soldato
Thoughts on returning to the gym after an injury? Do I just take it easy and work slowly back up to my work weights the first time back and see how it goes then plan sessions from then on in? Been doing Stronglifts, so might it be an idea to try all 5 lifts, but at reduced weight for the first session to gauge aches/pain/mobility etc?
Hit a deer on the motorbike the other day, so been a little bit laid up lol!
Ta
I did this after a surgery and lay off:

Sets everything out for you, has a progression and you can extend it if required.

Back
Top Bottom