The 500 year old question

Associate
OP
Edit: already answered that you can commit suicide if you want.

Yes, i absolutely would take the 500 years then. Why wouldn't you (unless you are really old already and would be stuck that way for 500 years, that would be rubbish).

It sounds great actually, you get to try out multiple different life paths, partners, friends etc. Loads of time to try different artistic pursuits etc etc.

and if it proves too long you can just jump off a cliff.

i think it is probably only worth it if you are between 18-50 (if you are being strict about staying the same age you are currently)
Loves the positive outlook/possibilities

Associate
OP
I tend to agree. I'm of an age where I've already lost parents, siblings and a few very close friends. I heard it said you know you're getting old when you go to more funerals than weddings. Not much point in being here if all the people you really care about are gone.
Perhaps you could meet so many more DampDog.

Soldato
To be honest, i've treated my life as a rehearsal so far, so it would be great.

This +1 - best quote of the day for me!

with reservations I would, I think it would be a very lonely life, and I despair at the world sometimes, but we are at the cusp of so many great discoveries I would love to hang around a bit longer to see how they turn out

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm 66 now so nearing the end and I just can't imagine another 20 years let alone 500.
I couldn't bear watching my wife die and then my kids and then grandkids and everybody else I know.
Would my pensions be paid out fo r500 years or would I have to keep working?
It sounds awful.
It's a tough call for sure.....
I would hope pensions and work as we know it will be a thing of the past. But yes, you pension would still be paid :)

Caporegime
I'd do it.

Wife and kids die, boohoo. Get some more you've got 400 years more to do it again.
You're conditioned to expect only 1 go at life in some quasi Christian hetro normality capitalistic dream.

You'd be world famous, probably worshipped as some deity. You could lecture 21st century history on board generational space ships or Babylon 5.
Move to mars. Total recall. You'd want for nothing fusion powered washing machines. So ez. Replicators. Tea earl grey hot. Think about it.

Sign me up. Pussies.

Deity not diety :p

Probably would need a diety after 300 years.

If you're worried about pensions then I don't think youre engaging in the freedom.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd do it.

Wife and kids die, boohoo. Get some more you've got 400 years more to do it again.
You're conditioned to expect only 1 go at life in some quasi Christian hero normality capitalistic dream.

You'd be world famous, probably worshipped as some diety. You could lecture 21st century history on board generational space ships or Babylon 5.
Move to mars. Total recall.

Sign me up. Pussies.
Now we talking! Love it

Man of Honour
500 years? Yes, if it means I get to see humankind become a near type-2 civilisation. We will have matured energy generation providing limitless energy and from that point onwards all manner of things in all areas of human life would be benefitted so I'd want to be able to see all of that compared to all the naff we have to deal with today.

You can actually sign up if you're rich enough to pretty much live 500years or more. Just freeze yourself for a 100 years at a time only being unfrozen to live for say 5-10 years to see progress, then back in the fridge you go. Cryogenics will be a major player in future long distance space travel too so it too will become a matured technology.

Back
Top Bottom