Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I have archived the old thread:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17534512

Please use this thread for discussion on gym routines, exercise questions, diet and nutrition, weight lifting, powerlifting, health and fitness and all things related to the world of iron.

If you feel a subject is going to go off topic, start a new topic to continue the debate (linking back to the original question if you want to).

Thanks,

Will :)

Man of Honour
OP
Does anyone use pre-workout supplements?

I am considering using one as I don't always have enough energy to give my all during workouts especially when I have just done a 10hr shift :(

Anyway I torn between Reflex NOS Fusion or BSN NO-Explode anyone used either of these?

Regards

Nige.

Just grab a cup of coffee and a banana 30 mins before you work out. A lot of it is mental rather than anything else.

Man of Honour
OP
Bananas work wonders...I'm just a bit weary about eating that close before working out though.

I find I can munch on a banana whilst training with some water and it's fine. It releases energy very quickly, just be sure to chew on it enough so that it's quickly digested. 30mins is plenty long enough, and coffee is great although I'm very tolerant to caffeine I still get a bit of a buzz from it. Of course you could just go for some kendal mint cake! :p

Man of Honour
OP
WOOT

Hit 220 deadlift today! Video'd it but it came out wrong, ill get it next time, not that i have any competition in the video stakes....

227.5 is my target for next session, 501lbs baby! oh yeah!

Awesome. Is that with straps? Belt? Eitherway that's a great weight. I haven't tried a PB for a while in DLs because I really need straps now 210 comes up easily enough it's my grip that's starting to fail me rather than strength.

Obviously the hard work is helping!! :)

What's your squat and bench at now? What do you weigh?

Man of Honour
OP
straps no belt, i can do 205 without straps but i see no point in going for 1RM RAW when my grip will clearly fail at a submaximal level.

dead/squat/bench now 220/160/130

so thats 510 ha nice :D

I need to get some straps because I reckon I could match you for 220 then ;)

You're not far from me!! Dammit, I need to get my act together!

What you weighing in at now?

Man of Honour
OP
If I email you my email address and you reply with an address I'll post you a descent spare pair of straps if you like Freefaller it'll save you a couple of quid? There just sitting there not getting used if you wanna give them a good home.

That's really kind of you mate! :) I'll have to buy you a pint some time - shame you live a billion miles from me though :( Well not THAT far... but if you're up for the offer, then I'll take you up on it.

your a good deal leaner than me in fairness m8, i think im around 17% atm

Yeah but not 15kg+ worth? I'm around 13 I reckon.

Man of Honour
OP
I don't warm up and stretch, and I just do high volume and relatively high intensity.

Today:

Front Squats:

8x60
8x80
8x90
6x100

Back squats:

8x100
8x120
5x140
5x140
5x140
5x140
5x140

SLDLs:

8x100
8x110
8x120
8x130
6x140

Step-ups:

5(each leg)x100
5x110
5x120
5x130
5x130

Calf raises:

stack(100kg) x12
stack x12
stack x12
stack x12
stack x16

Leg extension:

stack (100kg) x 10
stack x10
stack x10
stack x8
stack x7

75 minutes of hard work. Kept the weights relatively light (well around 70%) as I wanted the volume. Feel fantastic! :cool: If I've done my maths right the total tonnage of that work out was over 28 Tonnes?!!! Is that right?!

Man of Honour
OP
I'll be interested...As I'll just start stretching after workouts now, as I know that is important (Due to lactic acid and the like I guess? Or is that only cardio :()

Research shows that you'll be weaker. Basically, stretching a muscle releases tension to help the muscle and connective tissue (fascia etc) relax. This is NOT want you want to do before lifting weights. Greater chance of injury and also you'll be weaker.

Certain types of stretching can be used for different sports, but this is about lifting big weights right? ;)

Doing some medium intensity cardio i.e. basketball, or HIIT for 10-15 minutes before is fine as they are not really "stretching" movements.

Research also shows that it's best to stretch 4-6hrs AFTER training. There's a sequence to the types of stretching too: PNF, ballistic & then static. Actually Charles Poliquin answered a question about it on T-Nation (page 2):
http://www.t-nation.com/article/bodybuilding/question_of_strength_april

What are your general protocols for your athletes when it comes to stretching?

A: There are three main families of stretching, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. The rule of thumb is, the ones that are good for short-term gains are terrible for long-term gains, and vice-versa.

The key to being very flexible is to use all three methods in the proper sequence. The proper sequence is PNF, then ballistic, then end with static. But never stretch before lifting weights.

In order to get flexible you have to do flexibility training. Sounds obvious, right? But the research is very clear: doing it 20 minutes a day, four days a week to warm-up for workouts does not increase flexibility.
Flexibility

The minimum threshold of flexibility training you need per week to increase flexibility is six hours. The good news is that after six to eight weeks you'll be as flexible as your genetics will ever allow you to be. After that you can maintain flexibility with only one hour a week.

So if you're serious about getting flexible you need to specialize in it. The good news is that once you're flexible, then you're flexible, with just a little maintenance every week.

I'm not an expert on this is just stuff I've picked up along the way. However from what I've read it is safe to say that most stretches people do and when they do them, is completely wrong.

Remember: This is mainly talking about stretching after weight training. Having said that, stretching after sports falls into the same principles, just with sports like football, rugby etc then ballistic stretching warmups etc are needed (esp for legs).

Man of Honour
OP
Personally, at your age your body is doing so much growing and changing that you should just eat a lot of good food. Worry about protein shakes later. You don't "need" them IMO, they are useful to supplement your diet but they are no replacement for good food. Right now your body needs a lot of nutrients from all sorts of different sources and relying on shakes is lazy and not the best route to take.

Man of Honour
OP
Fundamentally though m8, considering the average diet of kids these days, a good protein supplement could do him a lot of good? I dont see it harming him any.

No you're right, fundamentally there's nothing wrong with it, it's just very good bioavailable protein. However at that age I'd be concerned about educating myself on eating well and properly. He'll have the growth hormones surging through his body and his metabolic rate will be through the roof, so I think personally that concentrating on eating a decent amount of good food is much more sensible. It's about education not folding to the lowest common denominator. Don't get me wrong, protein shakes have their place and I use them, however, they still supplement and shouldn't REPLACE good diet and food and nutrition education.

Man of Honour
OP
Cod Liver Oil Capsules?

Care to explain the benefits of these Tank? I'm interested. They're not particulary expensive from what I remember? As you've said you regret not taking them when you are younger, I'm 19, something I should be taking? I'm not on any supps or juice. What are the benefits?

Basically the benefits are as follows... the science behind it is fascinating if you want to read up on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_oil

* Increases fat burning
* Decreases fat storage
* Increases insulin sensitivity
* Maintains healthy joints
* Reduces levels of excess cortisol
* Dramatically improves health

Man of Honour
OP
What's that in mg's roughly?

Hah...30 Tonne barrier?

30 tonne volume, see my training for today, I breached 28T. :)

Each cap is 1000mg. So that's 6g per day. Plus any other oily fish I eat which per week is quite a bit.

I feel like a fool for not having been taking them already! What size capsules are you taking out of interest? And I assume any brand is as good as the next?

Edit: 1000mg seems to be the norm. About £10 for 360, which should get you 60 days at 6 capsules a day. Anywhere you'd recommend to buy from? Is 6 per day the dosage? or is it calculated by age, height, weight etc?

I don't know if there's a calculation for lean body mass etc... but I dose up until I feel it has a good effect on me. Between 6-10 is about right for me - you have to see how your body reacts.

Dude... that's a bit too much fish oil, even for you :p

LOL! :D I meant volume n00b :p

Man of Honour
OP
3 a day should be a decent amount it really does help make you feel a lot better too as it can have a positive effect on seratonin levels too.

Volume = number of reps x weight x number of sets. So altogether all sets reps and weight added up I pushed over 28T..

e.g. if I did 5 sets of 10 reps of 100kg, volume = 5 tonnes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom