Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
OP
I don't warm up and stretch, and I just do high volume and relatively high intensity.

Today:

Front Squats:

8x60
8x80
8x90
6x100

Back squats:

8x100
8x120
5x140
5x140
5x140
5x140
5x140

SLDLs:

8x100
8x110
8x120
8x130
6x140

Step-ups:

5(each leg)x100
5x110
5x120
5x130
5x130

Calf raises:

stack(100kg) x12
stack x12
stack x12
stack x12
stack x16

Leg extension:

stack (100kg) x 10
stack x10
stack x10
stack x8
stack x7

75 minutes of hard work. Kept the weights relatively light (well around 70%) as I wanted the volume. Feel fantastic! :cool: If I've done my maths right the total tonnage of that work out was over 28 Tonnes?!!! Is that right?!

Caporegime
Correct, you shouldn't stretch if you want to get PBs and reach big weights before the work out. Stretching afterwards however is very important. :) I can give a full explanation if people are interested.

I'll be interested...As I'll just start stretching after workouts now, as I know that is important (Due to lactic acid and the like I guess? Or is that only cardio :()

Man of Honour
OP
I'll be interested...As I'll just start stretching after workouts now, as I know that is important (Due to lactic acid and the like I guess? Or is that only cardio :()

Research shows that you'll be weaker. Basically, stretching a muscle releases tension to help the muscle and connective tissue (fascia etc) relax. This is NOT want you want to do before lifting weights. Greater chance of injury and also you'll be weaker.

Certain types of stretching can be used for different sports, but this is about lifting big weights right? ;)

Doing some medium intensity cardio i.e. basketball, or HIIT for 10-15 minutes before is fine as they are not really "stretching" movements.

Research also shows that it's best to stretch 4-6hrs AFTER training. There's a sequence to the types of stretching too: PNF, ballistic & then static. Actually Charles Poliquin answered a question about it on T-Nation (page 2):
http://www.t-nation.com/article/bodybuilding/question_of_strength_april

What are your general protocols for your athletes when it comes to stretching?

A: There are three main families of stretching, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. The rule of thumb is, the ones that are good for short-term gains are terrible for long-term gains, and vice-versa.

The key to being very flexible is to use all three methods in the proper sequence. The proper sequence is PNF, then ballistic, then end with static. But never stretch before lifting weights.

In order to get flexible you have to do flexibility training. Sounds obvious, right? But the research is very clear: doing it 20 minutes a day, four days a week to warm-up for workouts does not increase flexibility.
Flexibility

The minimum threshold of flexibility training you need per week to increase flexibility is six hours. The good news is that after six to eight weeks you'll be as flexible as your genetics will ever allow you to be. After that you can maintain flexibility with only one hour a week.

So if you're serious about getting flexible you need to specialize in it. The good news is that once you're flexible, then you're flexible, with just a little maintenance every week.

I'm not an expert on this is just stuff I've picked up along the way. However from what I've read it is safe to say that most stretches people do and when they do them, is completely wrong.

Remember: This is mainly talking about stretching after weight training. Having said that, stretching after sports falls into the same principles, just with sports like football, rugby etc then ballistic stretching warmups etc are needed (esp for legs).

Associate
Hey guys, a quick question.

I'm almost 16 and I have found myself going to the gym frequently mainly for bulking for rugby but also for the look and T-shirt filling potential (I mean who doesn't :D).

As I train at my school gym getting protein after a workout is somewhat difficult. I'm extremely sceptical about shakes, especially at my age, so what would you reccommend to take for an after workout snack that is high in protein, easy to carry in a schoolbag and doesn't cost the earth.

Caporegime
Research shows that you'll be weaker. Basically, stretching a muscle releases tension to help the muscle and connective tissue (fascia etc) relax. This is NOT want you want to do before lifting weights. Greater chance of injury and also you'll be weaker.

Certain types of stretching can be used for different sports, but this is about lifting big weights right? ;)

Doing some medium intensity cardio i.e. basketball, or HIIT for 10-15 minutes before is fine as they are not really "stretching" movements.

Research also shows that it's best to stretch 4-6hrs AFTER training. There's a sequence to the types of stretching too: PNF, ballistic & then static. Actually Charles Poliquin answered a question about it on T-Nation (page 2):
http://www.t-nation.com/article/bodybuilding/question_of_strength_april

I'm not an expert on this is just stuff I've picked up along the way. However from what I've read it is safe to say that most stretches people do and when they do them, is completely wrong.

Remember: This is mainly talking about stretching after weight training. Having said that, stretching after sports falls into the same principles, just with sports like football, rugby etc then ballistic stretching warmups etc are needed (esp for legs).

Thanks for the read :)

I'll bear it in mind, and see how thing's go...It makes sense theoretically.

now I've just got to make my left arm keep up with my right arm! It's lacking so much it's ridiculous.

Soldato

I'm almost 16 and I have found myself going to the gym frequently mainly for bulking for rugby but also for the look and T-shirt filling potential (I mean who doesn't :D).

As I train at my school gym getting protein after a workout is somewhat difficult. I'm extremely sceptical about shakes, especially at my age, so what would you reccommend to take for an after workout snack that is high in protein, easy to carry in a schoolbag and doesn't cost the earth.

Tuna mayonnaise and wholemeal is your friend!;)

Associate
Would you say shakes are ok at my age or should I wait? I'm never sure, people seem to say bad things about it (usually non gym goers lol :)). Could I lower the amount of powder per serving or is it just easier to go the natural route with tuna (I must say it is cheap :D)

Permabanned

shakes are food my man, saying you are "sceptical about shakes, at my age" sounds like you see them as some kind of 'extreme' step? All a whey shake is, basically, is a coupla chicken breasts liquidised and tasting of strawberry, or chocolate. And when i say chicken breasts i dont mean to sugest that whey is like dessicated chicken, its a byproduct of cheese.

What im getting at is, It's important to get nutrition soon after a workout of any type and at any age. The easiest way to do this is a shake, its quick food for gods sake! But if your of the skinny persuasion something like what tank suggested would be good too, big tuna sarnie or turkey salad etc

Caporegime
Yeah, I knew they were just a big dose of protein, but everyone I know seems to talk of them in a negative way, is this just myth?

Theres nothing bad about shakes...It depends on your diet, and your circumstances.

I drink shakes after workouts and sometimes during the day in general, literally because I do not consume enough food ,(for various reasons I shant go into) so a shake is a good way to get the extra protein etc I physically do not get through my daily diet.

But if you think you can get a Tuna / chicken sandwhich or salad or something down your throat after each workout, then hey, it's all good...Some would say having the food would be better anyway...But both are sources of protein. (Food/shake)

Permabanned
yeah, average joe bloggs lump them in with steroids and other such 'no-no' activities. Its a lack of understanding thats all, something you'll need to get used to if you get into lifting. I constantly have people trying to talk me out of carrying on, like im self harming or something, its very weird.

Strangers say things like, "yeah but you wouldnt want to be any bigger would you, its not healthy". I try to stay happy and calm but inside im yelling "whens the last time you saw a vegetable fat ass! or walked to the !"$££$" shop!"

People are weird my man and you will find this out if you do at all well with lifting, but stick to your guns because when you have 'THAT' body, they might be cheery in your face, but inside they are green with envy and packed with self loathing that its something they could never achieve. At least that what i tell myself :D

www.myprotein.co.uk

look up their unflavoured WPC80 thats a good starter and 5kg would get you going for a bit for about 30 bucks which is half what maximuscle or some other tripe would be

Soldato
Would you say shakes are ok at my age or should I wait? I'm never sure, people seem to say bad things about it (usually non gym goers lol :)). Could I lower the amount of powder per serving or is it just easier to go the natural route with tuna (I must say it is cheap :D)

Personally I would say go the natural route, also you may have noticed a few of the others Freefaller, Ultra extreme mentioning cod liver oil capsules don't be shy about taking them! I wish I did when I was your age I feel so much better for it now, just incase you don't take them already;).

PAz

PAz

Soldato
myprotein.co.uk
bulkpowders.co.uk
sports-nutrition.net
bulksupplementsdirect.co.uk

all of them sell good, unflavoured whey protein

Man of Honour
OP
Personally, at your age your body is doing so much growing and changing that you should just eat a lot of good food. Worry about protein shakes later. You don't "need" them IMO, they are useful to supplement your diet but they are no replacement for good food. Right now your body needs a lot of nutrients from all sorts of different sources and relying on shakes is lazy and not the best route to take.

Permabanned
Personally, at your age your body is doing so much growing and changing that you should just eat a lot of good food. Worry about protein shakes later. You don't "need" them IMO, they are useful to supplement your diet but they are no replacement for good food.

Fundamentally though m8, considering the average diet of kids these days, a good protein supplement could do him a lot of good? I dont see it harming him any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom