Poll: *** The All New Windows AV Thread - Keep All AV Questions in Here ***

What AV do you use?

• Total voters
Permabanned
Norton turns computers into bricks.

Used AVG, was OK but had quality control issues.

Used MS Security Essentials, never found anything but didn't cause problems either.

Associate

I have used Norton on all of my bricks for the last 5 to 6 years. No problems, works really well and none of my bricks miss a beat. Check out all the pc mags and online experts reviews, Norton is always in the top few av programs. But these guys who do the tests and reviews are only experts, what do they know!
BTW I wrote this from one of my bricks...:D

Associate
Comodo anyone? Used it without a problem for ages but just had an update & things have changes a fair bit. Always found it ok but a bit complicated at times.

Soldato

Used AVG, was OK but had quality control issues.

Used MS Security Essentials, never found anything but didn't cause problems either.

Latest AVG free is solid (get latest direct from AVG) ,infact I have both Avast and AVG on two different PCs and AVG seems very slightly snappier(even on same PC when I uninstalled Avast).

Btw memory usage on latest AVG is only 4 to 5mb according to Task Manager.

Associate
MSE is absolutely terrible. Working for an IT company, most of the systems we see riddled with viruses are running it. Remove, install BitDefender 2014, scan and clean.

You can get BitDefender for £7 online. I don't see why anyone wouldn't spend such a small amount of cash to keep their system safe rather than a free AV

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/janfeb-2014/
Very low system resource usage as well, even on older XP machines

Norton is OK, its came on leaps and bounds last few years, but one constant has remained, and that it makes slightly older PCs run like absolute crap. I would choose BitDefender, Bullguard or Kaspersky over it any day.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can get BitDefender for £7 online. I don't see why anyone wouldn't spend such a small amount of cash to keep their system safe rather than a free AV

The answer is simple you don't need to buy a paid AV,even Bitdefender offer a free version,personally I rather spend the £7 on a game or towards something else.

I also use Malwarebytes Free version as backup too.

I think most members here use common sense as well regardless of AV they use,I know I do.

Associate
The free version of bitdefender doesn't let you set file/folder exclusions. Seriously though, people won't pay £7 for the best AV you can get

I don't mind the free version of BitDefender, its better than any other free one, but i don't mind paying for the full one and i've got around 5 pcs/laptops

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
The free version of bitdefender doesn't let you set file/folder exclusions. Seriously though, people won't pay £7 for the best AV you can get

I don't mind the free version of BitDefender, its better than any other free one, but i don't mind paying for the full one and i've got around 5 pcs/laptops

Be my guest if you want to pay £7 for snake oil. Sadly, these charlatans will be kept in business as long as millions of inexperienced folks keep coughing up for "anti-virus" protection.

Soldato

Some AVs do let you set exclusions but why would you?...Better to be safe and have all files checked,besides a lot of AVs are smart and they know what files have changed after first scan anyway.

Again you don't need to go paid AV route,I use my AV as a first layer defence and have other layers of defence as backup.

The best AV won't protect you 100% no AV can, that's why you need layers and common sense,that's worth more then 7 quid and is free in general ;) .

Associate
Be my guest if you want to pay £7 for snake oil. Sadly, these charlatans will be kept in business as long as millions of inexperienced folks keep coughing up for "anti-virus" protection.

I'm not quite sure what you're suggesting? Stop buying AV?

It's not inexperience but rather experience that has shown me many times from the mistakes others have made not having AV or having a crap free one, and then losing either their windows installation to corruption or files precious to them.

Most people do not back up their data, so AV, and especially a good one, is essential. I don't see how it's snake oil. It's not a product claiming to increase your system performance 500%, but it will keep it free of viruses 99% of the time. Not all of them however....

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Yes, stop buying AV. Give the money to a charity of your choice instead of throwing it down the drain.

It's ignorance. People get infected because they don't patch critical software, etc.

People will find out the hardware if they don't backup their data. Cryptolocker walked all over every AV product on the market for a long time.

It's snake oil because it lulls naive people into a false sense of security using misleading claims.

Soldato
So I've uninstalled Avast because it went crazy. Web scanner started using 40 percent of cpu, managed to fix that by disabling the live web scanner. Then the avastsv started using ten percent of cpu for no reason disabled all live scanners, no indication that its doing a quick scan or anything.

So whats a good alternative, I dont mind paying but I cant right away.

Associate
Kind of strange how everyone is still using MSE. It was popular back in 2009 but has fallen behind. I think even Microsoft even admitted saying it will always be at the bottom.

I just use Avast free edition. But sometimes i feel like testing one of the other antivirus out there just for a change.

Man of Honour
Ok will try that, Thanks.

No way will I try MSE, I got a virus with that before.

BitDefender seems the most versatile yet smallest and unobtrusive I have used yet. Really like it for its simplicity but effectiveness. It has over the last few months stopped some compromised legit sites in my browser too. I don't even realise it's running 99% of the time as it just does its thing.

Also forums where someone has a rogue signature get spotted by it whereas with MSE it was just not spotted at all.

I like it.

Back
Top Bottom