Poll: *** The All New Windows AV Thread - Keep All AV Questions in Here ***

What AV do you use?

• Total voters

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I also use SpywareBlaster (passive protection against nasty cookies) and Spybot (only for the HOST patches) and not had an infection in years.

Most browsers have this stuff built-in.

That was 6 months ago when I was trying a load of different ones out again, before reverting back to my usual philosophy of no real-time av. Not a popular stance, nor one I recommend, but for me personally I usually always come to the conclusion that I have too much of an internal debate as to what is actually worse. The virus you're protecting yourself from which may you never get, or the software that is meant to be protecting you.

You should recommend it. It's better to teach proper security instead of relying on 90s-era "anti-virus". Welcome to the club.

Associate
:)

I'm always nervous about recommending my take on security on a forum. I like to think of it as my liability get out clause. ;)

On a serious note though, it is very much an each to their own topic. I've seen so many people get irate about trying to convince others on one methodology over another so I like to just throw ideas out there but nothing more. :)

Soldato
New Avast version out,

Hi all,

We are more than happy to announce AVAST 2014 R4 (build number 9.0.2021) program update.

We're introducing several important pieces in this release:

We've improved the security of the product - e.g security of our processes (guarded by the self defense component), we handle the conditions for the Guest account better, we are very senstitive for any incorrect inputs from the user with a negative impact on the system's security, or, we tuned the import settings functionality not to allow bypassing any protections
We've added "resume" support in the setup component, so some of you should notice smoother downloading - depends on a "quality" of your connection (mainly during the program update where the amount of data is quite big)
We've included a new antispam library (IS/Premier editions) for better accuracy of our anti-spam module
We've put warnings during the installation process if there could be some obvious problems resulting in not 100% functionality after the installation (missing admin rights, insufficient space on disk, etc.)
We've added ability to disable promotion popups (in PRO/IS/Premier editions). We strongly believe that our additional products can be valuable for you, but we also respect your will not to be bothered by such offers.
We've performed a static analysis of our code resulting in many fixes (but don't worry, nothing was critical, just a small tuning
General bugfixing - this covers a lot of stability & performance changes in all components (but the main focus was traditionally on the network & engine components)

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=151290.0

It should appear in your Avast official version,mine just updated to 2021 version.

Soldato
just uninstalled norton and installed bitdefender.

How can i check the files that were infected? The scan shows kinda misleading results. One minute there is 40+ files infected :eek: the next there is none??? :confused:

Cant seem to check each one individually like i could with Norton (and Avira as well). Bitdefender just seems to quietly go about its business in the background for all i know deleting stuff which it thinks is malicious but i know is harmless :confused:

Soldato
On a trail version of the Panda Cloud 3.0 and really like it. Very small resource footprint and although I've never paid for and antivirus in about 10 years I'm quite tempted by it, although it's not cheap. Might give bitdefender a go when my trial finishes.

Back
Top Bottom