• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Planning out ponying up for a 6700 XT soon but my main concern is drivers... how are they as I had a very bad experience with the 5700 XT I once owned?

mine is running fine with no issues its a nice cool running card

thats seems to run everything at 1440p well

Soldato
What is the best solution with regards to Freesync, Enhanced Sync (VSync) and Frame Rate Target Control. At the moment I have a Freesync monitor (60-72Hz range). I have Freesync turned on (both at Monitor level and AMD driver level), I have Enhanced Sync on (which greys out the VSync box) and FRTC disabled. I also have Anti-Lag and RIS enabled.

I get so muddled up with the names of these technologies. I just want a smooth (tear free), lag free experience. What is the norm / most widely accepted combo? Should I turn all the sync settings off and just set FRTC to 60FPS? Do I need to run a mixture? I was worried about lag with FRTC as it says it may introduce some when enabled. Would Anti-Lag counter act this?

Any help much appreciated.

EDIT: I think, just reading up on Freesync that for me with such a narrow refresh range, that Freesync is pointless. If I'm understanding properly. Freesync only works within that range. I'm probably better turning it off, turning Enhanced Sync (V-Sync) off and just limit the frames with FRTC to 59FPS. At least with V-sync off that will also reduce any potential lag and FRTC at 59FPS would also mean my GPU is wasting it's power rendering needless frames that my monitor can't handle.

Last edited:
Soldato
What is the best solution with regards to Freesync, Enhanced Sync (VSync) and Frame Rate Target Control. At the moment I have a Freesync monitor (60-72Hz range). I have Freesync turned on (both at Monitor level and AMD driver level), I have Enhanced Sync on (which greys out the VSync box) and FRTC disabled. I also have Anti-Lag and RIS enabled.

I get so muddled up with the names of these technologies. I just want a smooth (tear free), lag free experience. What is the norm / most widely accepted combo? Should I turn all the sync settings off and just set FRTC to 60FPS? Do I need to run a mixture? I was worried about lag with FRTC as it says it may introduce some when enabled. Would Anti-Lag counter act this?

Any help much appreciated.

EDIT: I think, just reading up on Freesync that for me with such a narrow refresh range, that Freesync is pointless. If I'm understanding properly. Freesync only works within that range. I'm probably better turning it off, turning Enhanced Sync (V-Sync) off and just limit the frames with FRTC to 59FPS. At least with V-sync off that will also reduce any potential lag and FRTC at 59FPS would also mean my GPU is wasting it's power rendering needless frames that my monitor can't handle.

My settings would be FRC set to 69 fps, enhanced sync off and vsync in games on(i've seen freesync bug out sometimes if games don't have vsync enabled) you won't get the input lag from vsync as you are staying below the threshold. Then I would take a look at CRU and see if you can get your monitors range down to like 45-50 to 72hz without isuues.

Soldato
My settings would be FRC set to 69 fps, enhanced sync off and vsync in games on(i've seen freesync bug out sometimes if games don't have vsync enabled) you won't get the input lag from vsync as you are staying below the threshold. Then I would take a look at CRU and see if you can get your monitors range down to like 45-50 to 72hz without isuues.

Thanks I'll give that a try! :) Freesync on (to unlock the extra range), V-Sync on (not enhanced sync though because we're capping the FPS within the monitors operating range so there is no added lag because we're not exceeding the displays refresh rate), FRTC at 69FPS (limit FPS to within the monitors range.)

Gotcha! Makes some sense I think. So the above will hopefully mean no lag, stuttering or tearing. Hopefully.

I'll have a look at CRU see if I can reduce the lower Hz. :)

Soldato
Must admit was never quite sure when I have my vega on which settings to toggle on/off but I had joy when fixing the frames between my monitors range and the game actually used it correctly.

That's good to hear thanks. I just think it's a bit of muddle. Surely we could just have one or two settings that does all this. Why do I need options for Freesync, Enhanced Sync, V-Sync, FRTC and Chill. And if FRTC (from the description) works better, why not just remove Chill as an option. I dunno, maybes I'm getting old and don't understand these things haha. It would be nice to have some sort of automation during install that detects your display and goes "you have a 144Hz Freesync display, I'll enable by default Freesync and Enhanced Sync for you" or "you have a fixed rate 60Hz monitor I'll therefore not enable Enhanced Sync and just limit your FPS to 60FPS with V-Sync on". Obviously, users can still go and fiddle after the install. But might make for less confusion if it auto picks what it thinks are the best settings for your monitor.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
That's good to hear thanks. I just think it's a bit of muddle. Surely we could just have one or two settings that does all this. Why do I need options for Freesync, Enhanced Sync, V-Sync, FRTC and Chill. And if FRTC (from the description) works better, why not just remove Chill as an option. I dunno, maybes I'm getting old and don't understand these things haha. It would be nice to have some sort of automation during install that detects your display and goes "you have a 144Hz Freesync display, I'll enable by default Freesync and Enhanced Sync for you" or "you have a fixed rate 60Hz monitor I'll therefore not enable Enhanced Sync and just limit your FPS to 60FPS with V-Sync on". Obviously, users can still go and fiddle after the install. But might make for less confusion if it auto picks what it thinks are the best settings for your monitor.

Really agree with you. I think some of the 'sync' settings are if you dont have a monitor that does Freesync. Some games you had to check it was toggled properly even though you have it on in the driver.

Soldato

FRC and Chill don't do the same. Chill is based on mouse movement, the idea is the less active you are with the mouse the fewer fps you perhaps need which is why you set a range from minimum to maximum. It's all tied up to what PCM2 would call the connected feel. The faster the mouse movement the more frames get drawn per second. If you just watch a monitor and don't touch the mouse or mouse movement is low/slow then you can get away with drawing fewer frames, how few depends on the person. It also enables you to lower power consumption a fair bit if set up correctly.

Whenever I install a fresh set of drivers my display is always detected and Freesync enabled by default and I'm pretty happy that Vsync doesn't get turned on as well :).

Last edited:
Associate
I have occasional graphics driver crashes since I bought a 5700 in Xmas (yesterday twice when playing Company of Heroes 2) according to the event viewer. I know is an old game, maybe that's the problem but my friends using Nvidea have very few crashes and using a second computer with a gtx 980Ti produces far less crashes.

Faulting application name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1862, time stamp: 0x609a2c73
Faulting module name: Qt5Core.dll, version: 5.14.1.0, time stamp: 0x5e6f5e90
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000004140
Faulting process ID: 0x33b0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d751b3acf98d30
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Qt5Core.dll
Report ID: 4bc0ec59-f074-4b7a-8ac6-7f1349d5254f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Man of Honour
Thanks I'll give that a try! :) Freesync on (to unlock the extra range), V-Sync on (not enhanced sync though because we're capping the FPS within the monitors operating range so there is no added lag because we're not exceeding the displays refresh rate), FRTC at 69FPS (limit FPS to within the monitors range.)

Gotcha! Makes some sense I think. So the above will hopefully mean no lag, stuttering or tearing. Hopefully.

I'll have a look at CRU see if I can reduce the lower Hz. :)
I wouldn't run Vsync in that scenario personally as it may generate input lag. If you are capping FPS within the freesync frange, and have Freesync enabled, then I really don't see the need for Vsync. What should happen is your monitor detects 69fps coming in so syncs using freesync to 69hz automatically, then if your framerate drops under 69 it will automatically adjust down to 60hz. If it drops under 60hz then you'll lose freesync, but to be honest in that scenario you really wouldn't want Vsync on anyway as you'd probably see your framerate halve (or two-thirds with triple buffer).

Associate
Unless AMD have changed Freesync significantly in the last few years, for optimal results you should not use frame rate target control with Freesync, only V-Sync. Perhaps @AMD_Vik could comment on whether this advice from AMD_Robert is still current for the 2021 drivers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...king_awesome/d6zl13v/?st=itdvdnyw&sh=73d1a8e6

AMD_Robert said:
Do not use any sort of frame capping with FreeSync. The frame time analysis algorithms that govern FreeSync, FRTC or other methods will conflict and break both solutions. It's unnecessary. Here's why:

The only time you'd want to turn off vsync with FreeSync is if the app's FPS can go way above your monitor's max refresh and you want the lowest possible input latency at the expense of a little tearing at high framerates. FRTC is the antithesis of this, so it doesn't make sense to use FRTC in this case.

If you're not trying to get the lowest possible input latency, or the app's FPS stays inside your monitor's DRR window on the regular, then leaving vsync enabled will cap your framerate anyways. FRTC is redundant.

FRTC is for people with regular ol' monitors who are playing low-demand games running in the hundreds of FPS, which just burns power and runs the fan faster than necessary.

Associate
Unless AMD have changed Freesync significantly in the last few years, for optimal results you should not use frame rate target control with Freesync, only V-Sync. Perhaps @AMD_Vik could comment on whether this advice from AMD_Robert is still current for the 2021 drivers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...king_awesome/d6zl13v/?st=itdvdnyw&sh=73d1a8e6

So if on menus my gpu is going 1000fps+ and ingame my gpu fan is like a nuclear rocket on launch FRTC is the best answer.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Some of the newer features like Chill if you check out the explanation limited the fps to save power. Some of these features overlapped or in some games didnt get on well but this is why I got generally confused when using my Vega on what should be used in tandem with a Freesync monitor as nobody really covered it in depth enough to give you the holy grail of settings and what conflicted (as in dont do these together etc).

Associate
anyone else getting a system crash in bio mutant with 21.4.1? it will do it if i change the vsync option, it will also do it if i play for a bit. all other games completely stable, all stock and no overclock. juts curious if anyone else is seeing the same card is mba 6800.

Soldato
Wow what mine field - more info to try and digest. haha. OK then, so with the news from AMD_Robert that @SonicSW20 has quoted, then for me personally with such a small dynamic refresh range (DRR), I've gone back to a fixed rate (60Hz). No Freesync. Disabled FRTC. And instead just turned on Enhanced Sync. So that'll decrease stuttering and may give occasional tearing however it'll give better latency compared to just turning V-Sync back on to cap the frame rate at 60FPS. Enhanced Sync Technology | AMD

I really need to get a proper gaming monitor with a better range to let the 6700XT stretch its legs properly. :)

Back
Top Bottom