• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Did same for me I had to do another reboot after I checked it was still enabled in the bios then it worked in Radeon Software.
Just seems AMD have took great glee adding CPU support on a couple of pages but not tested it fully.

do you check this with HWINFO as on this thread bit back or the 6900xt owners thread this was proven to be a false reading.

I have HWINFO and seen no spikes just looks normal and I use HWINFO OSD with Riva Tuner.
I check with msi afterburner, but I move to 21.8.2 and it totally fix the issue with the high wattage spikes, but the SAM is still disabled. It was enabled before with the old driver (21.3.1) that I had.

AMD Rep
Vendor Rep
Sorry that it took a while, been updating the BIOS as well as trying older graphics drivers until version 21.6.1, just incase. Also installed the monitors driver, just for.. well.. reasons.. :p

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Master rev 1.1, Bios F34, Chipset Drivers 3.09.01.140 (from LtMatt's post here)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Graphics Card: Saphhire Radeon RX 6900 XT Nitro+
Memory: 4 sticks of Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 8GB 3000MHz, DDR4, CL15 CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
C Drive: WB Blue SN550 NVMe SSD (But Steam is on a 4TB HDD Toshiba X300 Performance)
PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000 G2
Monitor: Dell 38" Alienware AW3821DW IPS 21:9

Everything is running on stock and never done any overclocks.

Think that's about all, anything else you need to know or for me to try, just ask. :)

Edit: I thought I move the game to my C: drive which is the M.2 SSD but there was no difference. Then had a look online what prices was and saw a local shop had a bit of a sale so ended up buying a new M.2 drive for gaming, been thinking it for a while anyway so used this as an excuse !

Reinstalled Steam on new drive and then reinstalled Encased as well, nothing else on the drive. But, no difference. Then (as the fool I am) I come to think of something else I had not tried. It always been in borderless window, so switched to full screen, and no difference. So switched to bordered window and.. no FPS dips when reloading ! I tired several times but it loaded just fine. So went and changed the size on the bordered window in the settings.json so it fit the window better and should hopefully be alright now. Yet have to play since I only did a quick check, now moving other games over to new drive. :p

Now, not sure why the difference but that's how it is for the moment. If anyone ever figure out why it not working in borderless window or full screen, please let me know. :)

@AMD_Vik You got your Trusted open and working ?

Just to clarify, is this with FreeSync / Adaptive Sync enabled on the monitor and in Radeon Software?
Does the reproduce consistently with FreeSync enabled & disabled in the driver?

Cheers

Associate
Just updated to 21.9.1 from 21.6.1, netted a 3% gain in 3DMark TimeSpy score and finally managed to get my overall score up to 20K (exactly that to be precise!). Highest gfx score being 21260, up from 20450 with the older driver, and this is with an average chip (2500-2600 on the core is the absolute maximum). Very pleased!

Soldato
Just to clarify, is this with FreeSync / Adaptive Sync enabled on the monitor and in Radeon Software?

Hi Vik, yes the Adaptive Sync is enabled in the Radeon Software but the monitor is officially a G-Sync Monitor but it is compatible with FreeSync as you can see in the attached image in the spoiler.

t7DBiMV.jpg

Does the reproduce consistently with FreeSync enabled & disabled in the driver?

To be honest I never thought of turning off Adaptive Sync in the Radeon Software but with it OFF then there is no problems at all with the reloads that I was having with it ON. So guess it sorted for me. :)

AMD Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi Vik, yes the Adaptive Sync is enabled in the Radeon Software but the monitor is officially a G-Sync Monitor but it is compatible with FreeSync as you can see in the attached image in the spoiler.

t7DBiMV.jpg

To be honest I never thought of turning off Adaptive Sync in the Radeon Software but with it OFF then there is no problems at all with the reloads that I was having with it ON. So guess it sorted for me. :)

Thanks for checking this. It's still an issue but this additional info helps massively with triage.

To summarise, reloading a save in Encased with FreeSync Enabled above 60Hz causes a TDR when playing in borderless windowed or exclusive fullscreen. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks, currently play COD and flight sim 2020, with a few VR games inc flights I’m 2020 as well, how easy is it to revert to the older driver ?

using the new drivers on COD with no issues but.... everyone has different specs on the other parts so can imagine its a nightmare to keep everyone working

Soldato
Thanks for checking this. It's still an issue but this additional info helps massively with triage.

Your welcome and thank you for mention it ! :D

To summarise, reloading a save in Encased with FreeSync Enabled above 60Hz causes a TDR when playing in borderless windowed or exclusive fullscreen. Is that correct?

Even with it enabled at 60Hz caused a FPS drop to single digit when reloading and then it took 15-30 seconds or so, it did differ how fast it went back to 60Hz. And yes, in both Borderless and Fullscreen mode. Not sure what TDR stands for though ? :o

AMD Rep
Vendor Rep
Your welcome and thank you for mention it ! :D

Even with it enabled at 60Hz caused a FPS drop to single digit when reloading and then it took 15-30 seconds or so, it did differ how fast it went back to 60Hz. And yes, in both Borderless and Fullscreen mode. Not sure what TDR stands for though ? :o

Sorry for being vague, TDR stands for Timeout Detection & Recovery, and is what typically results in the bug report dialogue mentioned earlier. In most cases it leads to a crash-to-desktop.

I'll include that additional info.

Cheers!

Associate

Hi Vik,

If it helps then this happens for me as well. Essentially any game where the FPS drops extremely low (single digit) will cause massive stuttering and black screen tears once the frame rate recovers if Freesync is on. I also have a native G-Sync screen, but an AW3420DW. It's hard to replicate in most games, but loading a campaign save in Warhammer Total War 2 will cause it 99% of the time. Using CRU to increase the minimum VRR range also seems to prevent it.

AMD Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi Vik,

If it helps then this happens for me as well. Essentially any game where the FPS drops extremely low (single digit) will cause massive stuttering and black screen tears once the frame rate recovers if Freesync is on. I also have a native G-Sync screen, but an AW3420DW. It's hard to replicate in most games, but loading a campaign save in Warhammer Total War 2 will cause it 99% of the time. Using CRU to increase the minimum VRR range also seems to prevent it.

Will take a look, cheers

AMD Rep
Vendor Rep
Hey everyone, 21.9.2 is now available:
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-9-2

Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 21.9.2 Highlights
Support For

• World War Z™: Aftermath
  • Diablo® II: Resurrected™
    • Up to 13% increase in performance in Diablo® II: Resurrected™ @ 4K Very High settings, using Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 21.9.2 on the 12GB Radeon™ RX 6700XT graphics card, versus the previous software driver edition 21.9.1.RS-403
  • New World™
Fixed Issues
  • In Radeon™ Software, the CPU Additional Metrics section within the Performance tab may be missing for some users.
  • Some users may receive a compatibility error message when they attempt to load a previously saved tuning profile.
  • While playing Hitman™ 3 on some AMD Graphics products such as Radeon™ RX 6800 XT, users may experience an issue where water along the shores becomes missing.
  • The Auto Overclock feature for CPU in Radeon™ Software may be missing for some users with an AMD Ryzen™ 5000 series processor and AMD Radeon™ 6000 series graphics card.
Known Issues
  • Open Broadcaster Software™ may continue to run in the background after a user ends a recording session and closes the application.
  • Driver timeouts may be experienced while playing a game & streaming a video simultaneously on some AMD Graphics products such as Radeon™ RX 500 Series Graphics.
  • AMD Radeon™ Software may crash or become unresponsive while playing some DirectX® 11 games such as PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds™ with multiple displays connected in extended mode.
  • Playing Horizon Zero Dawn™ for an extended period may lead to a driver timeout or game crash on some AMD Graphics products such as Radeon™ RX 6700 XT.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Radeon performance metrics and logging features may intermittently report extremely high and incorrect memory clock values.

Have fun!

Soldato
@atomic7431 could you let me know how you get on with New World on 21.9.2?

Cheers

yes apologies for not returning, once released i will know pretty soon if the driver helps.

The driver timeout was occurring when using very high settings in the graphics options of New World, a lot of peeps had the same issue so i will report back once it releases on the 28th :)

Back
Top Bottom