• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
Am asking what overhead issues? :)

AMD drivers have higher CPU overhead which can reduce crossfire performance in CPU dependant scenarios across various DX11 titles. Nvidia fixed their overhead latency issues with their "Wonder Driver" which significantly boosted fps for SLI in CPU dependant scenarios. Just look up in detail about driver overhead and latency. As a programmer it's something I've had to look at out of choice. ;)

Some useful links:

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-have-gone-a-bit-mantle-with-their-latest-geforce-driver-release/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1495236/amd-vs-nvidia-cpu-overhead

Last edited:
Caporegime
AMD drivers have higher CPU overhead which can reduce crossfire performance in CPU dependant scenarios across various DX11 titles. Nvidia fixed their overhead latency issues with their "Wonder Driver" which significantly boosted fps for SLI in CPU dependant scenarios. Just look up in detail about driver overhead and latency. As a programmer it's something I've had to look at out of choice. ;)

Some useful links:

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-have-gone-a-bit-mantle-with-their-latest-geforce-driver-release/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1495236/amd-vs-nvidia-cpu-overhead

Drivers are improving all the time on both sides, the performance of 14.12 has increased significantly over the ones tested in your post, some of it is down to GPU optimisations, others down to CPU overhead optimisations.

And it's never universal, it depends on individual optimisations for each game, how the game and driver interact with eachother, sometimes Nvidia will work better, other times it's AMD.

What is a little misleading is when people cherry-pic games and then say "look this means one is better than the other" thats not it at all, they are just different and are better at different thing's at different times.

Last edited:
Associate
Are crossfire profiles dependent on installing CCC? as I have found that CCC and afterburner causes stuttering, so if I don't install it am I missing the crossfire profiles. Thanks

Soldato
Oh my... Was doing the whole jittery, juddery tearing, stuttering mess thing in DX11 BF 4 as well...

Time for a re-install :/

That now with all three in.

I can only describe it as what looks like some sort of strange timing issue, where it looks like it is displaying frames out of order.

It's not microstutter

It's not normal tearing

it's not low frame rate

It's not spiking GPU usage

Edit: Actually, more I think about it, more I think it may be something wrong with my system and not something driver related. It was fine initially, then after a day or so started displaying this.

At least, I hope I am right on that.

God, I hate computers sometimes.

Last edited:
Associate
Dying Light has been released 11 days ago and i still can't play it with my r9-290's crossfire...

The next time i will change my graphic cards i know where i will go... Sorry red team but i think it's not acceptable as a customer, not been able to play a game i bought day one. And it's not the first time it happened :'( :'(

Soldato
Dying Light has been released 11 days ago and i still can't play it with my r9-290's crossfire...

The next time i will change my graphic cards i know where i will go... Sorry red team but i think it's not acceptable as a customer, not been able to play a game i bought day one. And it's not the first time it happened :'( :'(

There is still no profile for Far Cry 4 either and that came out last year. AMD do need to up their game with the profiles, I have a 295x2 and a 290x trifire and a 4k panel so crossfire is very important for the latest games. I have been itching to play dying light. :(

Soldato
11 days, OMG!!!!! 1st world problems and all that.

Oh, shut up.

While 11 days may not be long in the grand scheme of things, Amd's current driver schedule is making people wait a lot of the time.

I hardly play games on release, but currently am waiting on elite dangerous to be working as well.

Caporegime
Oh, shut up.

While 11 days may not be long in the grand scheme of things, Amd's current driver schedule is making people wait a lot of the time.

I hardly play games on release, but currently am waiting on elite dangerous to be working as well.

If you are on W8.1, BF4 has a memory leak, so that could account for the stuttering. And yer, AMD should be more on the ball with CF profiles and I wouldn't be happy either.

Soldato
My problems, it turns out, go way beyond bf4...

I am beginning to think it's nothing to do with drivers, but my motherboard.

Hopefully just down to their flaky bioses, and installing a different one will work.

Caporegime
My problems, it turns out, go way beyond bf4...

I am beginning to think it's nothing to do with drivers, but my motherboard.

Hopefully just down to their flaky bioses, and installing a different one will work.

Could be and I hope you get it sorted. Nothing worse than not gaming when we get the time to :(

Associate
11 days, OMG!!!!! 1st world problems and all that.

Do you think it's a joke and i'm happy to complain here on this forum ? I just want to play my game with that's all... Just to remember i paid almost 700 € 6 months ago in AMD Gaphic Cards and i can't play the game i want to.

Soldato
Do you think it's a joke and i'm happy to complain here on this forum ? I just want to play my game with that's all... Just to remember i paid almost 700 € 6 months ago in AMD Gaphic Cards and i can't play the game i want to.

If day one support is the most important thing for you then multi GPU is a no go period, its a lottery, it always has been and there is no sign of that changing yet and that goes for CF and SLi.

Last edited:
Soldato

Report it and/or ignore it. What exact game are you have an issue with? Or are there a few games? I believe dying light has got a crossfire profile in the works.

Caporegime
The CAPs (Catalyst Application Profiles), thats what it was that AMD used to release all the time so you didn't have to wait a month or so for the next driver, knew id remember, why not go back to them, why go backwards, and make people wait a month odd again, makes no sense. :p

Soldato

Oh, shut up.

+1

Waiting on a driver to improve Dying Light as well. Performance is sub-par atm..

Runs great on our PS4, that's AMD as well. Why the hell does it run so bad on PC :p

Come on AMD !!

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom