• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
I'm using the latest Catalyst 15.11.1 beta drivers with my Sapphire R9 290, should I upgrade to Crimson? Is there any bugs or problems with it?

Your card shouldn't suffer from these downclocking issues. They only effect Fiji based cards and Crossfire configurations.

What comes to other bugs, you can always experience bugs with different drivers. So nobody can promise you a bugfree ride. Not even with your current drivers.

Associate
Your card shouldn't suffer from these downclocking issues. They only effect Fiji based cards and Crossfire configurations.

What comes to other bugs, you can always experience bugs with different drivers. So nobody can promise you a bugfree ride. Not even with your current drivers.
Should I uninstall Catalyst drivers using DDU and install the latest Crimson? Also do I need to update MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner as well?

Associate
Should I uninstall Catalyst drivers using DDU and install the latest Crimson? Also do I need to update MSI Afterburner and RivaTuner as well?

I personally would use DDU in your case, as your going from catalyst to crimson. I personally use it always (I don't claim it's neccessary).

I don't see no harm in upgrading afterburner to newest version , it has quite a lot of fixes. Some people follow the line "don't upgrade if it's not broken", - I don't follow that line :p

Associate
I keep seeing all these comments about how bad the drivers are. Is it really that bad? Just picked up a Nano and haven't got round to using it yet but surely the driver problems can't affect everyone?

Associate
I keep seeing all these comments about how bad the drivers are. Is it really that bad? Just picked up a Nano and haven't got round to using it yet but surely the driver problems can't affect everyone?

You're reading driver thread. This kind of thread usually is collection of problems, and solutions for them.

Which problem worries you?

Soldato
I dont think the drivers are bad at all, at least not for me. I have had no driver issues with my single R9 380.

That's exactly what I have and GTAV was unplayable. I guess it's a lottery. I mentioned a few posts up that using older ones are working fine and as I don't have any new games to worry about, I don't care about not using the latest.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have accidentally enabled Global OverDrive in Radeon settings, how do I disable it as I like to control stuff like fan speed using MSI Afterburner?

Click reset
Untitled.jpg

Soldato
The latest drivers seem to be working fine in all my games using 290s. What trouble are you getting exactly with your 380 in gta marc?

<ramble mode on> :p

I had a 560ti playing at @ 1440p previously and as you can imagine everything was on minimum and VSYNC on half (30FPS). The first thing I did after launching was check the settings and found it had auto-configured itself because everything was a mixture of high/very high.

I launched a single player story complete save where I have fast cars, loads of weapons/ammo etc just to test how it runs. It seemed ok with the odd stutter but the most annoying thing was this CTRL+F2 overlay in the top corner so I alt-tabbed out to try and find what it was. It seems it was this raptr thingy so I closed that. I alt-tabbed back into game and it was complete unresponsive freezing and then jolting forward every second or so. I never had issues alt-tabbing with my 560ti so immediately thought something was up.

I exited the game and started again and immediately noticed performance was lower than the first time I launched it. I decided I should pay closer attention to the settings because I didn't really expect to get away with very high settings @ 1440p with this card. I know it's aimed at 1080p users so I'm always prepared to turn stuff down if I need to. I noticed textures were on very high so I dropped them to high. The game forces a restart if you change texture settings so I did that. Now the game was unplayable - it had become slide show city even though I had turned down a major setting.

At this point, I knew it was pointless trying to tweak settings as each restart of the game was making things worse. Perhaps restarting windows would have helped but that's not a realistic solution.

I had checked this thread before the card even arrived and had noticed Loadsamoney mention the 15.9.1s so installed those and it's been running great. I do get the occasional stutter when driving but nothing has affected any mission gameplay - I've started a brand new storyline save.

Last edited:
Associate
@marc2003

Sounds to me like you're suffering from the downclock issue in the latest Crimsons.

My guess as to why performance was better before you alt-tabbed on those drivers is that the "CTRL+F2" overlay you closed is the Gaming Evolved GVR recording software.

With this running card clock speeds are forced to maximum, or at least they are on my system anyway. Closing it allowed the buggy Crimson power management to kick in causing the performance problems you experienced.

There are other ways to force the card to run at maximum clock speed, some people are using software called "Clockblocker", I find that the MSI gaming app works for me in games affected by this.

Associate
16.2.1 running great here too. GTA V is smooth, witcher 3 still smooth, and FC Primal is very very nice. 4k on only two of my 290's and no stutter!!! I was completely expecting another FC4 style fiasco with mGPU but GG AMD!!!

Back
Top Bottom