• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Associate
The difference being that these drivers are brand new where as the AMD issues are 7 months old. Though it pains me to say it, Nvidia deserve time to respond before the knives come out

Soldato
The difference being that these drivers are brand new where as the AMD issues are 7 months old. Though it pains me to say it, Nvidia deserve time to respond before the knives come out

You missed my other post then.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33352446
This nvidia driver problem is over 3 years old and never got fix. Nor received any media coverage.

It should be clear that the grass, although green, isn't better on the other side of the fence.

When the killer navi card comes i bet nvidia drops a 2090 titan or something like that.
Navi23 is said to be a titan killer but won't be released until 2021 or so.

Man of Honour
I've always found the AMD drivers to be great, both on Windows but especially Linux. In fact I prefer AMD cards simply because of their Linux drivers. But tonight my son installed the latest drivers for his AMD64 on Windows and it gimped his FPS. We had to uninstall and reinstall again. It was a minor issue but the first time in ages I've had a problem.

G J

G J

Associate
But isn't this worth when one can stick it to nVidia when the drivers finally get sorted and the performance gets better and all the AMD fans start screaming FINE WINE!!.

Only time I had real bad issues with AMD drivers was years ago when I had a 4MB ATI Rage 3D, the 6950/7770/290 drivers I had where great.

Associate
You missed my other post then.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/33352446
This nvidia driver problem is over 3 years old and never got fix. Nor received any media coverage.
In that case I agree something is amiss. I'm convinced that this all coming to a head now for AMD isnt coincidence. There's definitely issues still that AMD need to address but if this forum is anything to go by, it just doesnt seem as catastrophic as the press are making out

Soldato
In that case I agree something is amiss. I'm convinced that this all coming to a head now for AMD isnt coincidence. There's definitely issues still that AMD need to address but if this forum is anything to go by, it just doesnt seem as catastrophic as the press are making out

It's not for me, a vega 64 user nor a friend of mine, a 5700 XT user. I'm actually very impressed by the 20.2.1 driver on my fresh install of windows 10 ver. 1909. I'm playing Wolcen right now at 100-120 fps@1080, ultra details and a power target of -40% so that means 125ish watts of power draw and not a single stutter, texture issue or black screen. If i need a bit more omph like with Division 2 i'ts around 200watts for 90-100fps of max detail gaming. Again no issues no problems. I'm multitasking as well while playing and everything works without a hitch. Frame latency is excellent and smooth.

Can't stress this enough, i'm certainly not trying to belittle the folks who are having issues, I however am not and the machines I maintain don't either. I prefer a simple and clean machine and i'm guessing it's paying off.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
In the past three years I upgraded from a 290x and firstly tried out a 1060 6GB which was a great card and this was relegated when I got a vega 56 on black friday. I had no issues on the 290x which I had for 5 years on AMD driver sets, geforce was ok - again nothing bad that I can recall, and now the vega which has been really nice.

I avoided some of the late adrenalin before the new GUI, and avoided the first 3 of the new 2020 set as if they dont offer anything apart from new game fixes (which I probably dont play) I wait till it looks like a sensible time to check it out.

Currently on 20.2.1, so far so good.

Associate
Yep 20.2 1 is a good driver for me now that I've worked around the BL3 fps drop. My old Wattman profile worked flawlessly and the new metrics features are great. Even the new UI has grown on me. Overall I'm pleased to have made the jump. All this bad press just seems blown out of all proportion to me

Associate
First AMD card in daughters PC since I owned an 8500, the drivers are a ***********, so much crap packed into a driver I had no idea, hopefully I can ignore it all and use Afterburner for a little overclocking, but these things are bloated to hell.

Associate
how do i set the min state on for overclock on the latest drivers?

i always find my vega 64 doesnt use the max state when gaming and seems to sit around the 1000mhz range, rather than going up to the almost 1700 i have set as an overclock.

Associate
how do i set the min state on for overclock on the latest drivers?

i always find my vega 64 doesnt use the max state when gaming and seems to sit around the 1000mhz range, rather than going up to the almost 1700 i have set as an overclock.

You can't in the new driver from what I can tell. Just have to set the P states to be the same. The card bios seems to have the final say though but I've never seen mine run that far off. What game are you playing and what app are you using to measure the gpu?

Associate
First AMD card in daughters PC since I owned an 8500, the drivers are a ***********, so much crap packed into a driver I had no idea, hopefully I can ignore it all and use Afterburner for a little overclocking, but these things are bloated to hell.
Feature rich I think you'll find ;). There's a lot of good stuff there actually but if you dont need it then ignore, its not like you have to open the app to use the driver. Why fret?

Associate
complain is easier than installing a driver through device manager apparently :p.
Actually that's a good suggestion.

@mingey : Sorry if teaching you to suck eggs but if you uninstall the AMD Software in programs and features and then go into device manager and right click your display device and select update driver and then browse to C:\AMD\Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.1.1-Jan9\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF (assuming you unpacked the installer in the default location), you can install the driver without the app.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom