• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3080 Ti Owners Thread

Soldato
Try it.
Worst that should happen with a quality unit is that it shutdown due to OCP kicking in.

Hit the system with a heavy CPU & GPU load at the same time to simulate worst case, and you will know soon enough.
Worst that can actually happen is the PSU can take out all your components. Bad advice here and not knowing how old a PSU is or how well the ocp is working on that PSU.

Associate
Worst that can actually happen is the PSU can take out all your components. Bad advice here and not knowing how old a PSU is or how well the ocp is working on that PSU.
I said a quality PSU. Which the Corsair unit is. It wont "explode" killing anything.

But sure... if you want to play it safe, best go buy a 1600W PSU.

Soldato
I said a quality PSU. Which the Corsair unit is. It wont "explode" killing anything.

But sure... if you want to play it safe, best go buy a 1600W PSU.

Why are you not using a 650w with your system that probably draws as much power as his will for all you know ? Come on bad advice is bad advice and dangerous too, you have no idea what will happen. Also it has been shown even a good quality 850w on a 3080 can cause problems. :rolleyes:

The cards specs even state a 850w recommended :-

https://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=4134&lang=en&pn=NED308TT19KB-1020G&tab=sp

Don't gamble other peoples systems and their lives, it's just bad and dangerous advice without knowing everything and you have no idea what the rest of his system specs are it could be a threadripper/Intel HEDT cpu for all you know and a case full of drives and fans and a lot of pcie devices added.

You clearly have never seen a PSU go up in smoke and taking out everything with it and the risk of fire and electric shock too.:mad:

Also to add the PSU he has only has 2x PCIE single cables with 2 connectors each and the card requires 3x PCIE. Unless he uses one of the cables and uses the second PCIE that comes of the same cable which again is not advised for such a high powered card.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/corsair-rm650x-psu,4611.html

So PSU he has is out of the GPU spec in two ways underpowered and not enough single PCIE cables to correctly power the GPU he purchased.

Check everything when someone asks for help before replying and guessing. This forum is here to also help people that are not computer geeks and need real help in a safe way and not guessing, he could have guessed too and seen the results, he was asking what will work and not a guess.

Last edited:
Associate
The card can use almost 400 Watts. So if you run it at stock then no. You want a good 850w PSU as a minimum if you want a stable system and you have not said what the rest of your system specifications are.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/palit-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-gamerock-oc-review,1.html

400w tdp that's without the spikes. They also see it using 437w at max load.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/palit_geforce_rtx_3080_ti_gamerock_oc_review,6.html

Palit even state you need a 850w psu in their specs for the card you have:-

https://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=4134&lang=en&pn=NED308TT19KB-1020G&tab=sp

Cheers! Dang, that's a lot of power draw from a single unit! The rest of my specs shouldn't be drawing a lot of power: ryzen 3600, 16gb ram, 1 nvme, 1 ssd on a 4k OLED. I do kind of want to give it a go as a previous user suggested.

Associate
Ended up filing an RMA for my TUF 3080 Ti due to the horrific coil whine. I can take some coil whine but this was pretty ridiculous. It was tested and approved as faulty so just waiting on a replacement now from the retailer. Was in two minds about doing it but apparently stock is coming through pretty regularly these days and they had some in the warehouse at the time I chatted to the CS agent.

I'd be interested to hear if any others have experienced bad coil whine with their models.

Soldato
Cheers! Dang, that's a lot of power draw from a single unit! The rest of my specs shouldn't be drawing a lot of power: ryzen 3600, 16gb ram, 1 nvme, 1 ssd on a 4k OLED. I do kind of want to give it a go as a previous user suggested.

Be careful as that psu you have doesn't even have 12V OCP (over current protection) :-

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/corsair-rm650x-psu,4611-6.html

^... read that page on that psu.

Since this PSU utilizes a single +12V rail, that part of the circuit doesn't use OCP. Meanwhile, the OCP triggering points on the minor rails are set quite high. The 5V and 3.3V rails do not drop their voltages too low, though. On the contrary, the 5VSB rail registers over 50mV ripple with loads close to the OCP's triggering point; Corsair should set its OCP much lower.

The OPP is at a normal level, while OTP's triggering point looks to be set quite high. We had to use a heat gun on the +12V board to figure out OTP's activation threshold.

If you decide to risk it remember to be ready for a fire or a bang when starting the system up as on startup it will probably show it's not able to run your system as most components will go into full on power use until it gets into windows and the power saving/idle clocks kicks in for the components, but if it starts up when you try a game that demands a lot of gpu it may trip then too. So up to you if you want to risk it but I have warned you now of the issues with that psu and the setup you will use with it. So good luck and have a fire extinguisher near by and wire it so you can get to the mains switch in a safe way to turn it off if anything happens.

In the past you could under spec a psu with previous gpus now it is advised to over spec with these new cards even what the card maker recommends as many have found out with 30xx Nvidia and AMD 60xx cards this gen.

Associate
Why are you not using a 650w with your system that probably draws as much power as his will for all you know ? Come on bad advice is bad advice and dangerous too, you have no idea what will happen. Also it has been shown even a good quality 850w on a 3080 can cause problems. :rolleyes:

The cards specs even state a 850w recommended :-

Don't gamble other peoples systems and their lives, it's just bad and dangerous advice without knowing everything and you have no idea what the rest of his system specs are it could be a threadripper/Intel HEDT cpu for all you know and a case full of drives and fans and a lot of pcie devices added.

You clearly have never seen a PSU go up in smoke and taking out everything with it and the risk of fire and electric shock too.:mad:

Also to add the PSU he has only has 2x PCIE single cables with 2 connectors each and the card requires 3x PCIE. Unless he uses one of the cables and uses the second PCIE that comes of the same cable which again is not advised for such a high powered card.

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/corsair-rm650x-psu,4611.html

So PSU he has is out of the GPU spec in two ways underpowered and not enough single PCIE cables to correctly power the GPU he purchased.

Check everything when someone asks for help before replying and guessing. This forum is here to also help people that are not computer geeks and need real help in a safe way and not guessing, he could have guessed too and seen the results, he was asking what will work and not a guess.
Calm down.
I am keen to hear just how he could have killed himself with the wrong PSU.

By your token its dangerous to give ANY advice on the internet, as the person might not follow it properly and kill themselves, because you dont know everything about there setup.
Maybe they didn't mention they planned to connect the PSU to the mains you bare wires? or they like to work while sat in the bath.
You cant cater to every eventuality, and basic common sense is still required.

I am not gambling anybody's system. They do as they please. Based on the information I have seen, its perfectly possible to run 3080s on 650W units.
A decent branded unit like a Corsair, should not take anything with it in case the GPU DID pull too much power.

Further, each PCIe lead on a PSU is rated for the power. So using a daisy chain is perfectly acceptable. In case where a PSU has 4x PCIe plugs on 2 cables there should be no issue at all using 2x from 1 lead and 1 from the other.
Even my RM850W only comes with 4x plugs on 2x cables.
Yes...IF you can, running 3 Separate cables is preferable. It is however by no means required.
No PSU should ship with 2x PCIe connectors on a cable that cant actually provided the rated combined load for both connectors.

If people want to play it safe, sure over-spend and buy a 1600W PSU. But stop with the hyperbole. Especially when we are not talking about IED-included-with-case PSUs, but those from a reputable brand.

Associate
Go get some air, it's a nice day today as clearly you need to calm down. Lets stay on topic now and no silly replies please. As I said bad advice is bad advice, I work in I.T for over 3 decades so I knows what I'm talking about and not guessing. Have a nice day.;)
Yea no. You dont get the last word, get a dig in, then sign off and get back on topic.

Your advice was over-cautious, mine was perhaps under-cautious. But, wehter its bad or not depends on the result.

Please save me the "I have X years experience" trope. Im going to guess thats from a corporate IT world. In which you likely built precisely 0 computers.
I can throw that trope right back at you "I have built PCs over the last 15 years and not had one kill me or blow up" ... but its just meaningless fluff.

Get over yourself. Your advice was cautious at best. Hyperbole at worst.

Associate
Wait, how did people get the other branded 3080Tis? On launch day I could only see FE editions eveywhere and now people got the other cards? When? how? aaww :(

Associate
Got my RMA replacement delivered today. Pretty quick turnaround; sent it back on Monday and replacement received Friday. I was worried that it'd be awhile to get a replacement due to the shortage but I suppose that retailers keep some in the warehouse just in case? Haven't plugged it in yet but fingers crossed.

Associate
Calm down.
I am keen to hear just how he could have killed himself with the wrong PSU.

By your token its dangerous to give ANY advice on the internet, as the person might not follow it properly and kill themselves, because you dont know everything about there setup.
Maybe they didn't mention they planned to connect the PSU to the mains you bare wires? or they like to work while sat in the bath.
You cant cater to every eventuality, and basic common sense is still required.

I am not gambling anybody's system. They do as they please. Based on the information I have seen, its perfectly possible to run 3080s on 650W units.
A decent branded unit like a Corsair, should not take anything with it in case the GPU DID pull too much power.

Further, each PCIe lead on a PSU is rated for the power. So using a daisy chain is perfectly acceptable. In case where a PSU has 4x PCIe plugs on 2 cables there should be no issue at all using 2x from 1 lead and 1 from the other.
Even my RM850W only comes with 4x plugs on 2x cables.
Yes...IF you can, running 3 Separate cables is preferable. It is however by no means required.
No PSU should ship with 2x PCIe connectors on a cable that cant actually provided the rated combined load for both connectors.

If people want to play it safe, sure over-spend and buy a 1600W PSU. But stop with the hyperbole. Especially when we are not talking about IED-included-with-case PSUs, but those from a reputable brand.

I appreciate your input. I decided to not risk it and returned the card, which in hindsight seemed drastic -- knowing full well the RM650x is top notch and having looked at various reviews (such as gamer's nexus and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdohv96uGLw).
Back to sniping 3080s I guess :>

Soldato
Wait, how did people get the other branded 3080Tis? On launch day I could only see FE editions eveywhere and now people got the other cards? When? how? aaww :(

A shed-ton of MSI Suprim X dropped and other AIB brands, they are still in stock if you are willing to stump the £1,700.

Associate
I appreciate your input. I decided to not risk it and returned the card, which in hindsight seemed drastic -- knowing full well the RM650x is top notch and having looked at various reviews (such as gamer's nexus and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdohv96uGLw).
Back to sniping 3080s I guess :>
Really?? The 3080 has nearly the same power requirements. And given how rare cards are these days, Id have just bought a new PSU if you wanted to stay on the safe side.
An RM850x or similar is only £120~, compared to the cost of the GPU its cheap.

A shed-ton of MSI Suprim X dropped and other AIB brands, they are still in stock if you are willing to stump the £1,700.
Did they? On launch I didnt see anything drop but FEs and a few Tuf's.
Still... £1700 is terrible value. £300 more than a bloody 3090FE...

Associate
Really?? The 3080 has nearly the same power requirements. And given how rare cards are these days, Id have just bought a new PSU if you wanted to stay on the safe side.
An RM850x or similar is only £120~, compared to the cost of the GPU its cheap.

Did they? On launch I didnt see anything drop but FEs and a few Tuf's.
Still... £1700 is terrible value. £300 more than a bloody 3090FE...
Perhaps it is worth to upgrade the PSU and get the 3090 instead. I've seen it go for €2k.

Back
Top Bottom