• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Permabanned
Hi. 3090 FTW3 Ultra owner here. I’ve been experiencing spikes of above 140 degrees in the maximum temp section on HWINFO64, in the gpu2, mem and PWR section. Now apart from some major stuttering while driving in Cyberpunk, I have had no other issues. I have contacted the place I purchased the card, and the answer was “if it was an issue it would be crashing, and your hot spot, junction temps would be high also). Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any help appreciated.

Soldato
Hi. 3090 FTW3 Ultra owner here. I’ve been experiencing spikes of above 140 degrees in the maximum temp section on HWINFO64, in the gpu2, mem and PWR section. Now apart from some major stuttering while driving in Cyberpunk, I have had no other issues. I have contacted the place I purchased the card, and the answer was “if it was an issue it would be crashing, and your hot spot, junction temps would be high also). Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Any help appreciated.
There's no way you're actually running at 140 degrees on the GPU or memory with the card still being functional. It might technically be possible on the VRM, depending on the components, but very unlikely. There's a 99.9% chance it's a software bug or faulty sensor. Have you tried using EVGA's own software to monitor the temperatures?

https://www.evga.com/precisionx1/

Associate
Do you have the latest drivers etc? My card throttles at 120 degrees mem temps, which wasn't the case with older drivers iirc. I haven't got close to that on the core so I can't speak to that.

Soldato
Unconventionally :D

Untitled by mikehhhhhhh, on Flickr

Hahaha

tenor.gif

I’d be tempted to fit a fan at the front of the card blowing directly over the backside and then heat straight out of the rear fan. Or even mod one into the side door.

Still needs some liquid cooling more than anything id say :p

Associate
lol, thinking about doing something similar since I tried sitting an old Intel heatsink, no pad/tape or anything over the 3090 logo which dropped temps a few degrees. I love how many peoples case aesthetics have gone out the window with these cards, mine soon to be included.

There's no way I'd have done this when it was in my O11D

I've only bothered with this since mining on it, it's not visible :D

Associate
Hahaha

tenor.gif

I’d be tempted to fit a fan at the front of the card blowing directly over the backside and then heat straight out of the rear fan. Or even mod one into the side door.

If the EK waterblock with active backplate was available now, I'd likely have ordered it already.

Permabanned
There's no way you're actually running at 140 degrees on the GPU or memory with the card still being functional. It might technically be possible on the VRM, depending on the components, but very unlikely. There's a 99.9% chance it's a software bug or faulty sensor. Have you tried using EVGA's own software to monitor the temperatures?

https://www.evga.com/precisionx1/

That’s what I was thinking, a sensor problem. I have checked Precision X and the temps on that are all fine, but it doesn’t show maximum. It certainly doesn’t stay at that temp, and all other temps are perfectly fine.

Permabanned
Do you have the latest drivers etc? My card throttles at 120 degrees mem temps, which wasn't the case with older drivers iirc. I haven't got close to that on the core so I can't speak to that.

Yes all drivers etc up to date. My GPU temp never goes above 62 degrees, the junction and hot spot temp is always around 72 degrees. I think it’s sensor related to be honest, but isn’t that a fault in itself?

Soldato
That’s what I was thinking, a sensor problem. I have checked Precision X and the temps on that are all fine, but it doesn’t show maximum. It certainly doesn’t stay at that temp, and all other temps are perfectly fine.
If it just randomly spikes to that temperature then it's definetly a false reading. Components don't heat up and cool down by 70 or 80 degrees in half a second. Unless they're on fire maybe. I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes all drivers etc up to date. My GPU temp never goes above 62 degrees, the junction and hot spot temp is always around 72 degrees. I think it’s sensor related to be honest, but isn’t that a fault in itself?
I suppose it technically is, and I imagine EVGA would probably RMA it for you if you really wanted them to, but it would have course be up to you as to whether it's worth all that (including shipping the card to Germany and waiting potentially weeks or more) for something so minor. Better off just closing Hwinfo and getting on with gaming IMO.

Permabanned
If it just randomly spikes to that temperature then it's definetly a false reading. Components don't heat up and cool down by 70 or 80 degrees in half a second. Unless they're on fire maybe. I wouldn't worry about it.

I suppose it technically is, and I imagine EVGA would probably RMA it for you if you really wanted them to, but it would have course be up to you as to whether it's worth all that (including shipping the card to Germany and waiting potentially weeks or more) for something so minor. Better off just closing Hwinfo and getting on with gaming IMO.

If it isn’t going to cause any further issues then I’m not going to send it back for that. It’s certainly not worth all the hassle, you are right about that.

The place I bought the card from do advertise a 48 hour replacement, but I can’t see that happening. I bought it as a full system and was able to obtain the card much faster by doing that, so if anything happens, or God forbid this causes something, it’s all covered.

Im currently reading through the 3090 owners thread, and can’t see any others with the same card. Hopefully it’s not just me lol.

Associate
Hahaha

tenor.gif

Its a shame the I/O is on the top of the card, if it wasn't I would mount a fan on the back of the case pulling through the cards' exhaust and the unused pci slot right above the card.

Associate
Okay so even conventional case fan type and placement are important for the vrams, I got my temps down another two degrees, conservatively (high ambient temp compared to testing last night) by just moving my noctua fan from the bottom front into the middle. Guess my next step is replacing all my stock fans.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Ambient is very important. Then its your case airflow. Strategically placing the fans can get you better results (as you shown above). Its diminishing returns though investing in 'better' fans or same but quieter. The process of changing the pads and repasting would also drop the temps by a large margin (some are reporting between 10-20c improvements with this alone).

Back
Top Bottom