The art of nodding...

Man of Honour
It's because you're/we're a large minority of the self-transporting public. Think I read somewhere that 3% of the UK population has a full bike license. That could be way off though.

It's the same with Classic Mini's. If you're in one and you see another coming the opposite way, it's the law to flash your lights and wave. :D

I understand that but when it gets to the stage of differentiating between different bikes it becomes ridiculous. I remember one guy at a petrol station telling my about how he gives the finger to every Suzuki he sees because they're made from "pig metal". WTF? He gave a Ducati a full nod but Kawasakis and Hondas got a half nod. It's stupid.

Caporegime
As a new rider I find this practice a bit strange. I don't know any other people who ride bikes - my dad did but he's long gone - so waving and nodding at other bikers was never spoke of within my circle of friends and therefor I never knew about it. I experience this almost every day out on my Hornet and sometimes I wonder why they do it. I've seen nods, waving and two riders sticking their leg out.

For me it's a bit strange to wave or nod to someone on their commute to work just because their method of transport is the same as mine, I don't do it to other drivers when I'm in the car. I have given the odd nod or wave but I don't know the person behind the visor so I don't feel comfortable doing it, maybe I'll get a bit of flak here but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Can anyone else relate to where I'm coming from or am I just a selfish **** :p

I never knew about it before riding either, fist I noticed was when I was doing my DAS.course and was obviously panicking terribly on.every ride (don't have a car licence so as well as learning to ride a bike was learning how to be on.the road as well) and it was nice, instead of people looking angry or Moody behind thirty steering wheel a nice friendly nod cheerd me up and.made me relax and ride better.

now I like it still as it still relaxes me and makes.me.smile it's nice to have a little connection to others little nod when your out on a ride from someone else with the same.hobby.

although I never know what to do when like 3+ bikes come past in convoy, I nod to the first and each of them.nod as.they go past, it feels rude not to nod to each but if you do nod to each you feel like a nodding dog :p

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
I understand that but when it gets to the stage of differentiating between different bikes it becomes ridiculous. I remember one guy at a petrol station telling my about how he gives the finger to every Suzuki he sees because they're made from "pig metal". WTF? He gave a Ducati a full nod but Kawasakis and Hondas got a half nod. It's stupid.

Be a dull world if everyone was like you then eh

Soldato

Apologies, my post was meant for SPARC. When I started typing, you hadn't posted yet, which is why I didn't quote it.

I fully understand where you're coming from. Although I've noticed that people on 'cruisers' never nod, regardless of if you offer them the sentiment.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Can't see why anybody would get worked up about a polite nod whether done or not done. :p
I nod to everybody especially Learners, I want to encourage everybody to ride a bike as in my mind it's the only real way of reducing traffic congestion. Just think if 50% of people who took cars to work took a bike, think of the extra space on the roads. :cool:

On top of all that I know how liberating it is to ride/own a bike, The sense of freedom & the independence to move without being held up by anything or anyone. I like to think that when other bikers nod to me they are feeling the same thing I am. (Insert bikers nod here) :D

Caporegime
Here, here 4T5.

I remember way back getting nods from a couple of guys in full leathers on big bikes on my first day out and it made my day..in fact my week, so I've been doing it to every poor schmuck since :) For me it's like someone's saying "Hi", "hey there" or "good day", aside from the given camaraderie and respect for other two wheel friends.

Ignore me at your peril mind. I'll sneak up on you at the lights and embarrass you with the hair-dryer noise from my scooter ;)

Some of the comments about nodding are pretty funny here : http://www.visordown.com/features/lunchtime-debate-to-nod-or-not-to-nod/16306.html

"...Nodding is so common. I prefer to stop, dismount and bow when I see another motorcyclist, doffing my helmet to him in the style of a Regency dandy. They've usually ****ed off into the distance by the time I'm done, so I've no idea if they acknowledge me in return..."

"...my favourites are instructors with pupils who will always return the gesture, but the instructed tend to look baffled and start to wobble even more than they were already doing due to sensory overload..."

"...I always nod at police bikes, that way they are looking at my head and won't notice all the illegal things on my bike..."

Last edited:
Soldato
I nod at everyone. Some of you youngsters who didn't ride in the 80's and 90's don't appreciate how important the bikers nod is. And by that I have to also observe that over the years since then it's dwindled a fair bit to the extent that its got to the stage where certain bikes are discriminated against as far as 'will I/wont I' nod? goes which is quite sad IMO. Sign of how things change I suppose.

I also make a point of nodding at bike cops and 99% of them will nod back. The only two wheelers I rarely nod at nowadays are scooter/moped riders because the majority of the kids have no idea why I'm nodding at them anyway. ;)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
OP
Its chopper riders, i blame chopper riders for the lack of nodding. There also a bunch of inconsiderate on the road as well. In 5th place behind daily mail reading pensioners out to look at some cottage garden that sells a nice cheese on a sunday between the hrs of 8.30 and 1600, (they need to get back for songs of praise you see).

HATE THEM !!!!!

Associate
I prefer the euro wave, but doesn't work here as we're on the wrong side of the road.

Ditto. Pass a whole group of bikers and hold out your left hand. Stick out right leg after overtaking a car that's moved over for you.

Over here, I return a nod if I receive one, and throw a nod if they're eyeing the bike up.

Feeling the love for chopper owners here :D

Caporegime
I nod at everyone except scooters/mopeds and anyone on a Piaggio MP3 :p

I also make a point of nodding at learners.

Frankly I don't care if they nod back or not, it's a time honoured tradition of respect for our fellow riders. If I'm passing another biker, they'll get a polite hand gesture.

Soldato
Choppers = Nod

Street Fighter = Nod

Sports bikes/ Commuters = Nod

Classic bikes = Nod

General 2 wheeled bikes = Nod

Learners = Definitely Nod

Scooters = No Nod, get a motorbike.

Riding like an idiot = Head shake

Last edited:
Associate
I think I nod to everyone really, unless they're in shorts or something :)

I notice I get nodded at first before I can even think to nod, people seem to like seeing learner riders who actually wear full gear.

Back
Top Bottom