**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Man of Honour
dunno said:
Any chance you could sell me your spare backplate? :(
Yes, but I think we need to take this off this thread. Email me or something.

N.B. I haven't actually tried using this backplate. Akasa sold it to me, so I have no reason to believe it won't work, but it isn't the same as the standard backplate. Instead of the insulating adhesive on a metal backplate, it's a plastic-coated metal backplate. So the section that touches the motherboard is rigid rather than a bit spongy with the adhesive.

Associate
Well anyone else got some suggestions as to how I can actually get my computer to recognise the AGP controller?

P.S I've uninstalled SP2 aswell I'm still not having any luck.

Permabanned
Kinetic said:
Quick question regarding PSU's and this mobo

Im currently running a ABIT NF7-S , 3200XP 400FSB & 6800GT AGP ,im looking at possibly buying this ASROCK board and a 3500 venice while keeping the 6800GT ,my question is will the PSU (480watt something or other) i currently have be ok for this board ?

Im under the impression i will only need to update the PSU if i install a PCIe card as they run on a new kind of PSU connector ? i see most of the new PSU are ATX 2.0 ,so my PSU must be ATX 1.0 as it has no PCIe connector that im aware of

Anyone ? im eager to order within the next day or two

Associate
Kinetic said:
Anyone ? im eager to order within the next day or two
mine is working with my old psu think its something like 400 only had a 2500+ before my amd 64 3700+

you have to have one of those little 4pin psu connectors tho to get it running

Associate
Angilion said:
Yes, but I think we need to take this off this thread. Email me or something.

N.B. I haven't actually tried using this backplate. Akasa sold it to me, so I have no reason to believe it won't work, but it isn't the same as the standard backplate. Instead of the insulating adhesive on a metal backplate, it's a plastic-coated metal backplate. So the section that touches the motherboard is rigid rather than a bit spongy with the adhesive.

Sorry but ive tried emailing your address in yout trust but it keeps being sent back. Do you maybe have anther one? Or can i add you to msn?

Associate
for all those of you using thermalright XP heatsinks:

i contacted thermalright, they had a look at the board and said that their heatsinks are ligh enough. you don't need backplates.

Pog

Pog

Associate
I received my Asrock motherboard yesterday. As already stated the motherboard doesn’t come with the rear mounting plate required for some heatsinks. I ordered an Akasa 913 EVO 33 which came with the required back plate to secure the heatsink to the motherboard. Nice heatsink actually, very easy to install and not bad for the price.

So far so good then, although I haven’t tried overclocking my 3200 yet.

Associate
lol ive emailed 3 people (asrock, thermalright and akasa) and i explicitly said you CANNOTget a K8 backplate in the uk and I got the following 3 replies:

asrock: The backplate should come with the cooler

thermalright: try buying it from one of our uk retailers!!!!!!!! (worst reply)

akasa: The backplate should come with the motherboard tell your mobo manufacturer

OMG :eek:

Associate
dunno said:
lol ive emailed 3 people (asrock, thermalright and akasa) and i explicitly said you CANNOTget a K8 backplate in the uk and I got the following 3 replies:

asrock: The backplate should come with the cooler

thermalright: try buying it from one of our uk retailers!!!!!!!! (worst reply)

akasa: The backplate should come with the motherboard tell your mobo manufacturer

OMG :eek:
haha love how there passing the buck around

next they will tell you to ask you postman :rolleyes:

Caporegime
smithy1983 said:
haha love how there passing the buck around

next they will tell you to ask you postman :rolleyes:
At the end of the day this is ASRocks mess, so I wouldnt blame any HSF manu for their replies (Thermalright only made one due to Gigabytes fault and how they designed their own backplate) as its pretty much standard to expect a backplate with any new mobo nowadays...

I cant see how much they would have saved not providing the backplate (cant see it being more than a couple of quid at most since it isnt even something unique to this mobo) which has caused so much more unnecessary inconvience for the people who want to buy the product. I doubt such an increase in price would have removed it from the budget sector or stopped people purchasing it...

I can understand Angilions point that its aimed for the budget market, but looking at the plethora of features and how well this chipset overclocks, surely this omission was overlooked...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
ps3ud0 said:
At the end of the day this is ASRocks mess, so I wouldnt blame any HSF manu for their replies (Thermalright only made one due to Gigabytes fault and how they designed their own backplate) as its pretty much standard to expect a backplate with any new mobo nowadays...

I cant see how much they would have saved not providing the backplate (cant see it being more than a couple of quid at most since it isnt even something unique to this mobo) which has caused so much more unnecessary inconvience for the people who want to buy the product. I doubt such an increase in price would have removed it from the budget sector or stopped people purchasing it...

I can understand Angilions point that its aimed for the budget market, but looking at the plethora of features and how well this chipset overclocks, surely this omission was overlooked...

ps3ud0 :cool:

tell me about it :( I have an evo 120 sitting around looking sad :( but on the positive side the retail heatsink is keeping my 3500 at a nice 32 idle and 40 load :p. not overclocked anything yet, need to read about amd 64 overclocking first. Not as easy as the socket a days :p

EDIT: What can i use to see the voltage supplied to the ram? Ive tried 3 different motherboard monitor everest,mdm5 and speedfan and they all dont give me the voltage being supplied to the ram.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can anyone confirm an Akasa or Gigabyte cooler that fits this board?
Planning to go pick one up today but dont want to waste time getting a cooler i cant fit

Regards

Persil

Soldato
Quite a lot of posts here so forgive me if this has already been mentioned. Another cheap 939 board is the ECSa-939. Has anybody ever considered this as an appropriate alternative 2 the Asrock?. It's not an overclockers board but may-be a viable alternative. :)

Associate
ethan said:
Quite a lot of posts here so forgive me if this has already been mentioned. Another cheap 939 board is the ECSa-939. Has anybody ever considered this as an appropriate alternative 2 the Asrock?. It's not an overclockers board but may-be a viable alternative. :)

As its not AGP and PCI-Express the answer is no ;)

Associate
Angilion said:
I'm running the HTT base setting at 250MHz. I've seen screenshots of allegedly stable systems running it as high as 363MHz. Above 300 seems pretty rare, though ~270 is common.

Oddly, I had to feed an extra 0.05V to the CPU to get over 220.

Have you altered the CPU-NB and NB-SB multipliers? They're wrongly labelled in the BIOS as 200,400,600,800,1000, but they are actually 1x,2x,3x,4x,5x the base setting. Both should be changed so that they are 1GHz or less as they generally don't take well to overclocking. Set them to "800", which will be 4x and thus give 1GHz or less up to 250MHz base HTT.

RAM dividers work the same way - unless your memory can run at more than 226MHz, you will have to set it to 5/6ths or 2/3rds, which are wrongly labelled in the BIOS as 166MHz and 133MHz.

Mine would probably go higher, but I'd have to reduce the memory speed to 2/3rds. I don't think I'd get better performance under 270x9, which is a bit much for a 3000. I might fiddle and bench when I have some time, but I'm happy with a stable 25% o/c and a 45% memory bandwidth increase (it scales very well with clock speed and I changed to 1T rather than 2T).

Cheers for the guide, this is my first amd 64 and i was baffled by the mis labeled bios after reading up how to overclock "normal" AMD64 boards :p.

Ive managed to get 240HTT*10 (2.4Ghz) with 1.425V

NO bad :p Wish I had went for a boad that could supply more voltage to the ram and cpu but hey doesnt matter too much. The backplate issue still bugs me though. Poor evo 120 is still lying around doing nothing :(

Associate
WOOHOO! after what seemed like an age i've managed to install my Akasa Evo 120 onto this motherboard board without having to beg for a backplate from the suppliers of the board. Interested? YES I hear you say. Well here goes!

You need to either:

Get your hands on a K8 backplate (NOT on sale in the UK 02/10/05) - and your done :p

otherwise do this!

note: this install guide is for an Akasa Evo 120 and may not work for other coolers as the screws I used came with the Evo.

I ordered a Thermalright Neo Backplate thinking this would work but it doesn't work at stock. On the neo backplate there is a bit of rubber superglued onto it which rests against your motherboard so that the metal does not touch your motherboard. For this to fit on this motherboard you need to get a small knife and go around the inside of the rubber bit so that the hole is made slightly bigger (the neo backplate was for socket A boards so the hole with the rubber is not big enough for a socket 939 board). Once you have taken off some of the rubber it will fit onto this board.

Once I had made the hole big enough I used 2 letter "J" screws and 2 letter "G" bolts that came with the Akasa Evo 120 (in the evo manual they are labeled) . I also used 2 letter "A" washers from the Evo set.

The neo backplate came with a bunch of screws and these things (which I will call nuggets in this guide) which have a hexagonal end and can accept screws from both sides.

I used 2 of these hexagonal "nuggets" and 2 small screws that came with the Neo backplate.

SO IN ALL i used:

from EVO- 2x A,J,G
from NEO-2x "Nuggets" and 2x small screws. (and the backplate obviously with its now bigger rubber hole :p )

Firstly you must take out the plastic retention module that is used for mounting the stock AMD heatsinks. To do this get a small flat head screwdriver and pop out the plastic pins holding the retention module in from the TOP of the motherboard. Then get your nail and push the pins out from the BACK of the board. The retention moduel should then fall off and you dont need it anymore but keep it in a box incase you need it in the future.

I then put the "nuggets" in the S939 holes in the neo backplate and then put screws in the hexagonal end of the "nugget" (MAKE SURE THE RUBBER PART OF THE NEO BACKPLATE IS FACING UP SO IT RESTS AGAIST THE MOTHERBOARD).

I then let those nuggets poke up through the motherboards' corresponding S939 holes. The nuggets are a little loose in the motherbaord holes so it is a good idea to screw on the "G" bolts with "A" washers in between the motherboard and the "G" bolts so that the neo backplate is kept in place so you can put the motherboard onto your motherboard tray.

Attach your motherboard to the motherboard tray and then lay the motherboard tray on its side so you can put on the Evo.

:::::WORD OF WARNING::::: Due to the size of the EVO if you have a slideable motheboard tray it may not be able to slide back into the case as it may get stopped by one of the supports on the case (It did on my coolermaster 730 but my Lian-Li looks like there is a bigger hole for the motherboard tray). If you have a slideable motherboard tray put it in the case first then attach the Evo.

THEN

Once the motherboard is in the case take off the "G" bolts and the "A" washers you used to keep the backplate on while the motherboard was in transit :p .

Apply thermal paste to the cpu and then line up the evo's holes with the 2 pins sticking up though the motherboard. Use the "G" blots with the "A" washers to secure the evo to the custom backplate.

Tighten it up (not enought the crush the core though :p ) and you are almost done!!!!!!

Attach the fan to your motherboard header or the supplied speed controller.

turn on your pc :p

monitor your temps and if they are going up too quickly tighten the "G" bolts little by little until the temperatures are under control. Dont tighten them too much or you may crush the core of the cpu.

weeeeeee enjoy idle temps of around 32 degC and load temps of 40 deg C (i have my proc at 240HTT *10 with 1.425V with fan speed until middle speed)

:D

EDIT: Spelling and some wording

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom