**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Associate
As I've pretty much given up trying to get Windows to find and use my AGP controller,
I'm just gonna wait till wednesday when ATI's next cards come out then I'll see which I prefer for performance and money.

I would send the mobo back but who knows when I'll get another one (if I had been able buy it from OCuk them I would have sent it back already).

P.S. Incase anyone is wondering the place I bought the board from started with d.
And their returns is crap. OCuk on the otherhand has always been good only heard few complaints about returns.

So its quite obvious why we wanted OCuk to stock these boards.

Soldato
does the 16* PCI-E slot have to be used for gfx? id love to stick an 8* SCSI card in there

also do you think it would work fine with a gig of twinmos 3200 (2*512)

currently running an MSI K8N Neo plat with a 754 3000, would this mobo and say a 3200+ 939 be any faster?

thanks

Associate
dunno said:
did u try yo use the agp driver from asrock or the driver set from ULI?

Both...

The problem is that when I try to install it, it says 64 bit windows XP already has an AGP driver and I only need to apply a special patch.
But I'm not running 64 bit windows XP and never have.

It also doesn't even show up under device manager at all.

Usually I would expect to see something with an "!" beside it meaning its not working properly or needs drivers installed but its not even listed!

All I'll say is its got me puzzled. :rolleyes:

Associate
lol ive encountrered an interesting problem :p Whenever I try to paste something into ms paint the computer crashes! Happens at stock speeds also. :confused:

edit: only way to get around it is by drawing a scribble then opening up a new paint sheet. Then I can paste away :p

Last edited:
Associate
dunno said:
lol ive encountrered an interesting problem :p Whenever I try to paste something into ms paint the computer crashes! Happens at stock speeds also. :confused:

edit: only way to get around it is by drawing a scribble then opening up a new paint sheet. Then I can paste away :p

All I can say is "odd".

Soldato
dunno said:

Running memory at 1T ?

If so drop to 2T and you will find it will be fine.

This board is a sod to get stable with 1T .Although it will pass most memory benchmarks ok with it enabled, its the odd thing like that which it doesnt like.

Associate
Coolasmoo said:
Running memory at 1T ?

If so drop to 2T and you will find it will be fine.

This board is a sod to get stable with 1T .Although it will pass most memory benchmarks ok with it enabled, its the odd thing like that which it doesnt like.

It was on prime95s blend test for 12 hours last night and it was fine :confused:

edit: Just put it to 2T and its fine :(

Last edited:
Associate
I slacked other timings to get my memory to run at 1T.
a lot of people have been able to get the GeIL value 2Gb ram to work @200Mhz Cas2 1T.
But as I want stability but decent performance I dropped my Cas to 2.5.

I think I'm running @ 2.5, 3, 3, 11 (think its tras, anandtech found 11 was the optimal value for this mobo), Cmd rate 1T.

Maybe if I can somehow get my AGP controller to work properly I'd try tightening the timings and see what I can get but who knows when I'll get it to work properly.

Hopefully when I buy a X1800XL, as its a PCI-e card it will bypass the whole AGP controller problem.

Associate
So I decided to try updating the drivers for all my PCI to PCI Bridge system devices in device manager and force them to use the ULi AGP Controller Driver.

And amazingly, it didn't crash. And when I restarted I could use AGP 8X with all AGP features enabled!

So atm in device manager I've got 5 AGP Controller 3.0's but I don't really care as this is progress.

I guess I'll try and fix it again when I get a X1800XL.

Associate
Well I bought this board, an A64 3000+ (retail) and an additional 512MB PC3200 (total: £200 including shipping) as an upgrade from my NF7-S, XP2500+ platform. I brought over the hdds, 3 DIMMS of 512 PC3200 and a 6800GT AGP8X. Installation of the mobo and components was easy, and windows installed quicker than ever. My cpu overclocked to 2430 (270X9) with the 1.20 BIOS at 1.45V. As an added bonus my generic RAM oc'ed to 221 Mhz (333 divider, 'high' voltage setting, 2.5-3-3-11 2T) - which is higher than I had it on my previous platform.

Battlefield 2 performance is outstanding - which is really all that matters to me :D

All in all I am very pleased, and I highly recommend this board to anyone who is considering it. Way to go ULi!

Associate
IMO it is a myth that 2T kills 'real world' performance on the A64 platform. It is true that in the in the synthetic Sandra memory bandwidth benchmark it makes quite a difference, but in real world applications, especially games, it doesn't reduce performance nearly as much as Sandra would lead you to believe. This is well documented at:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1577496&enterthread=y

and more recently at:

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2560&p=2

which shows the the penalty of running 2T vs 1T in couple games is <4%

:)

Last edited:
Associate
Took delivery of mine today from a.n.other reputable etailer, with 1gb Corsair PC3200 and a 3700+ San Diego, shall be building tonight. Should be a good upgrade from the system in my sig (hopefully). As for the backplate issue, I've ordered a Swiftech A64 retension module for about £8 which includes both parts of the retention bracket (top and bottom), so will be able to fit my Sonic Tower by the end of the week.

OcUK, you guys are really missing out by not stocking this board, surely you've seen the interest that it has gathered in this thread alone??

Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Associate
I ordered mine from another e-tailer at the weekend also, with a 3200 Venice.

It looks like the upgrade of choice for us current NF7, XP-M Barton owners with decent AGP cards :)

Soldato
Randell said:
I ordered mine from another e-tailer at the weekend also, with a 3200 Venice.

It looks like the upgrade of choice for us current NF7, XP-M Barton owners with decent AGP cards :)

couldn't agree more!

now i just need to get a floppy disc to work so i can change the bios on mine to o/c :(

everytime i put the bios and flash tool on floppy, pc boots and says it don't recognise any bootable disc in drive. grrrrr.

Back
Top Bottom