• The forum will be offline Monday from 10am until approximately 3pm for maintenance and upgrades.

**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Associate
Hi, I'm new to the forum, I'm planning to get this mobo paired up with a SD 3700 or if i can find it anywhere the opty 146 could anyone tell me what sort of overclocks i could reach without modding the volt. Oh i forgot to mention i am a complete novice with overclocking so take that into account. Also are there really any problems with this board with compatibility or anything that fails to work on this board? thanks.

Associate
my 4 port usb hub seems to work ok, i think it is problem with old type usb 1.0

i am thinking of upgrading my harddrives to sata2 but i can only see one sata 2 connection, there seems to be 2 sata connections, is there a way around that or am i being extremely thick!

Thanks

Soldato
It appears that you have to switch on overclocking and manually set the multiplier of your processor as well as setting hypertransport to a 1000 to get the hypertransport to run at 1000. If you leave everything at auto your hypertransport runs at 800 and if you dont manually set your processors multiplier it drops the speed of your ram, or at least it did in my case. Cant say i really noticed any performace difference between 800 and 1000 hypertransport anyway.

Could a few people with the board check sisoft sandra and see what their hypertransport is running at, it you've left everything at auto it will probably be 800.

Associate
I'd look into it abit more before buying Sata II drives XP will not accept the Sata II driver at the F6 stage. You can install onto the vanilla Sata though and then move it on to and boot from the Sata II port (which only seems to work in IDE mode with my Sata I drive).

Soldato
finite, had a new sata2 drive had a new install of xp and i didnt need to load any drivers for it.

settings for the sata2 need to be altered in bios but its run fine from its install.

Kinetic: better if you do a new install as its the mobo drivers will be different from the previous board windows worked on.

Associate
barnsta said:
my 4 port usb hub seems to work ok, i think it is problem with old type usb 1.0

i am thinking of upgrading my harddrives to sata2 but i can only see one sata 2 connection, there seems to be 2 sata connections, is there a way around that or am i being extremely thick!

Thanks

i have never used sata 2 but unlike sata1 i believe that sata2 allows you to run more than one drive off one port.
The only limitation with a single sata2 port is that it will not be possible to run any raid configurations. In other words this motherboard only supports raid0,1 using the dual sata1 ports... correct me if im wrong but thats how i see it.

Associate
was looking at this mobo
want to use it with a 64fx 53 3800
and agp x700 256
160 ide maxtor hard drive
dvd writer
its for a friend
is there a lot of problems with this mobo
and will you get cold boot problems ,even with what ever setup you have
do l need to flash bios,when l get it

Associate
disco Stu said:
Anyone running a 3500 on this board?If so , what you getting out of it and whats your cpu setting??

Ive got my 3500 at 2.4Ghz with 240@10 :( and 1.42V. It would go higher with higher volts or i need to invest in a 144 opty

Associate
disco Stu said:
Anyone running a 3500 on this board?If so , what you getting out of it and whats your cpu setting??

yeh i have 3500 but i am not very good at overclocking as i don't really understand it on this board! I have set the timing to 215 so i think that means i am getting 2.37. If anyone can give me some simple, basic newbie tips that would be great as i am sure i can get more form this board anbd cpu.

i have venice 3500
2 gig value ddr corsair 3200/400

cpu is watercooled running at 28 idle -32 after bf2.

maybe a nice overclocker tutorial for this board and bios 1.4 would be really nice.
help me overclockers peeps.........your my only help.........help me overclockers peeps..........your my only help

Soldato
barnsta:

drop the htt to 600 and set the memory divider to 133, then see if you can up the fsb.

disco_stu:

depends how much u plan to overclock the ocw 2/3 bios' may have been better as they allow over 275fsb, otherwise you should be fine with the 140.

Associate
surgeon said:
Is this board worth getting?

Phil
yes for £37+vat at one supplier you cant go wrong
surgeon said:
Is it any good?
Phil
what it says it does it does very well
surgeon said:
Will my 2x512Mb of Elixir PC3200 RAM (part no M2U51264DS8HC3G-5T) work in it, the board isn't listed on the Elixir website but hardly any are, this was purchased as generic bog standard RAM.
Phil
Yes it will
surgeon said:
Are there any comparable boards out there or on the way?
Phil
not many better that support both pci-e and agp although i did spot this one
Biostar Motherboard NF4UL-A9, nForce 4 Ultra, Socket 939, PCI-E & AGP 8x, Dual DDR400, SATA RAID, 1394, GB LAN, 8ch Audio w/ SPDIF Out.

Associate
The Biostar is AGP over PCI - not the same as native AGP. Currently the ASrock D939 SATA2 is the only board on the market that features native AGPx8 and PCI-E. IMO it's brilliant for the money, it's just a great shame I can't get mine to run with 1T timing even at stock speeds without some very peculiar crashes.

Associate
Thanks, that's encouraging. I've spotted the Biostar myself but it doesn't seem to be available in the UK plus the XGP port does not seem to be compatible with all AGP cards which would be a worry, where as it looks like my Leadtek 6800 will be fine with the Asrock.

Back
Top Bottom