The Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q – a 27” 1400p 144Hz Monitor with G-SYNC

Soldato
Best example I can give is the moneysaving expert forum - I use the old style green and white version - The "white" background flickers and goes light/dark when I scroll up and down....

Also in Football Manager, the screen constantly has the white background very quickly going lighter / darker in a flickering kind of way.

Video showing one of the issues - It is not as clear on the video as I see it on screen but you get the gist of it...

Video

Last edited:
Associate
After over 1 year of no issues, my power supply started to fail recently (screen powering on by itself / power button not functioning if left in standby). I contacted Asus for an RMA on the power supply which they agreed to but having read of the delays and issues with replacements went about finding a quality replacement.

I eventually went for a Mean Well GST90A19-P1M which is working flawlessly and has an identical power output to the OEM, albeit with apparently much better power regulation.

Man of Honour
Reminds me I keep meaning to scope the output from the stock adaptors I have and upload to show the difference in regulation compared to what it should be.

Soldato
Well rroff you were right about the RMA - They were quick with sorting it - Replacement came today.

Replacement didn't have the issue of the old one, but it did have three dead pixels and mega backlight bleed - The casing in the top corners is REALLY loose and I can physically push the inner casing a good half cm back into the outer casing - Really poor refurb.

I'm already in contact with them about a proper replacement - just had the request for photos etc from them so waiting for that to be assessed now.

I did however also decide to upgrade anyway to the PG279Q and sell the PG278Q (once I am in possession of a proper replacement worthy of selling on - I wouldn't dare do it with what they have sent me) and that just happened to come at the same time on the same van and have that set up now............wow... I am never going back to a TN panel again!

Associate
Reminds me I keep meaning to scope the output from the stock adaptors I have and upload to show the difference in regulation compared to what it should be.

Yes, I'd be very interested to see that. Makes me wonder if any of the other issues with the screen failing (blurred text etc) are down to the poor power delivery of the stock adaptor.

Man of Honour
I did however also decide to upgrade anyway to the PG279Q and sell the PG278Q (once I am in possession of a proper replacement worthy of selling on - I wouldn't dare do it with what they have sent me) and that just happened to come at the same time on the same van and have that set up now............wow... I am never going back to a TN panel again!

The IPS is nice but I don't find it quite as good for stuff like BF4 - I am a very +forward react on the fly type player though where that needs every last bit of responsiveness and motion clarity to work at all.

Yes, I'd be very interested to see that. Makes me wonder if any of the other issues with the screen failing (blurred text etc) are down to the poor power delivery of the stock adaptor.

Quite hard to demonstrate it with the equipment I've got and my limited knowledge - with no load it shoots upto ~19.47V and clamps there for 2-3 seconds fairly stable then decays to about 18.11V over a few seconds with ever increasingly sporadic ripple as it decays once it drops to about 18.11V (which has pretty severe ripple) it suddenly jumps to ~19.47V and repeats - I'm no expert but the OEM version I'm using instead doesn't exhibit the same behaviour but mostly clamps just under 20V with occasional small ripple - I'm guessing this is the symptoms of some capacitors that have had it. With a dummy load it is jumping all over the place with a similar story of sporadic worsening ripple intermittent with jumping to a stable voltage for a short period - occasionally it was even spiking down to 15.xxV with a load.

Last edited:
I haz 4090!
Don
So after sending yet another video to Asus about the shocking replacement I received, and waiting a further three days for a reply, the reply I got was along the lines of "Yeah, it's broke. Apply for another RMA through the online form and wait another four days for someone to get back to you".

Worst replacement experience of my life. I will never buy another Asus product as long as I live. I'd urge everyone else to do the same. Great, until you have an issue and need to deal with the customer service team.

Soldato
I got my second replacement today. To be fair apart from one dead pixel it's spot on. The prior one was a total heap of garbage but this could pass for brand new.

I think it is just pot luck as to what you get. Which I agree isn't really acceptable when you area dealing with high end gear like this, but that's what happens when you outsource your repairs......

I think the time it has taken has been reasonably good too. Over a 9 day period I've had two replacements sent out..... I can't really fault the speed of sorting it and they have always been very fast at email responses.

Associate
I am always in these threads about this screen and it is filled with RMA problems. I got to admit there has been many issues with this screen. Dead pixels dead screens (not powering on) I own 4 of these screens and within 1 year I have had to send 3 back but so far so good. Not once has RMA been an issue it has always been exceptional from Asus and OCUK.
Before I got this screen I was worried about RMA problems and scared of buying it. I just wanted to make this post to let people know its not all doom and gloom and its pretty decent. But again there should not be this many issues on what is a flagship screen.

Man of Honour
Pretty much failed on me today - as mentioned DP port socket is degraded - blacked out earlier and took about 30 minutes to coax it back to life and slightest whisper of a movement kills it :S guess its time to buy the Dell :| not sure what to do as I couldn't trust an RMA replacement and I wouldn't sell it (a replacement) to my worst enemy. Absolute joke.

Soldato
So I did an RMA on mine a few days ago.... literally one day it stopped turning on every time. I mean I always have it on standby and when I turn on the PC it in turn sends the signal to the monitor and displays the picture... Anyway it stopped doing this and to get it to turn on I'd have to spend like 30 mins plugging the power in and out and then it would turn on so I did the RMA at the weekend and the replacement has arrived at home... not sure if it's a replacement monitor of if it's a replacement power supply I'll have to wait until I get home.

Man of Honour
Gave in bought the Dell - in two minds whether to RMA the Swift or just take a hammer to it and put an end to the sorry saga.

Caporegime
Gave in bought the Dell - in two minds whether to RMA the Swift or just take a hammer to it and put an end to the sorry saga.

This the replacement you got?

Mine still flickers every now and again, have to pull the power lead from the brick, (asus laptop one) to get it working ok again. If it gets any worse im not even sure if i can RMA it as i bought it second hand.

Associate
I must be one of lucky ones, had my monitor nearly two years and still going strong, no issues at all. Really having to fight the urge to buy either the Acer X34 or Asus equivalent though, want the superwide experience :)

Man of Honour
This the replacement you got?

Mine still flickers every now and again, have to pull the power lead from the brick, (asus laptop one) to get it working ok again. If it gets any worse im not even sure if i can RMA it as i bought it second hand.

Yeah replacement - the display port connector has been degrading for awhile but its now at the point where I'm having to spend about 30 minutes coaxing it into life not infrequently and today even the slightest thing is knocking the signal out.

Combined with the RMA experience, the shoddy PSU and even the original DP cable falling apart I'm pretty disgusted given the price - and I didn't even pay close to full whack for it (sub £500).

I must be one of lucky ones, had my monitor nearly two years and still going strong, no issues at all. Really having to fight the urge to buy either the Acer X34 or Asus equivalent though, want the superwide experience :)

Best of luck to you - nothing like 2560x1440@144Hz gaming - I ended up ordering a Dell as I can't stomach going back to my XL2420T in the meantime while I sort this Swift out. Seem to be one of the lucky ones as everyone I know IRL that own one has had to RMA theirs between 4 months and a year as well with one person on several replacements.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Ive been meaning to try the supplied psu on mine, when i got it i had a weird issue with it not running above 60Hz, ended up purchasing a psu and a new DP cable and it has been ok'ish so far.

Man of Honour
Ive been meaning to try the supplied psu on mine, when i got it i had a weird issue with it not running above 60Hz, ended up purchasing a psu and a new DP cable and it has been ok'ish so far.

I can't recommend it - the two I've had under an oscilloscope haven't exactly inspired me about their quality.

EDIT: Quick and dirty grab (I'm a bit out of my league anyhow) with no load - its significantly worse with a load on it but I don't have anything here to use as a dummy load.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom