The Asus X99 Deluxe Owners Thread

Associate
Why not? Does it not work in 8x/8x?.

The manual makes it pretty clear what lane configurations are possible at which speeds, not to mention so do the pin-outs on the slots themselves
That's what I thought. Every store page I've seen (and Asus's very own microsite for the card) says it supports x16/x16 for dual card configs. To me that means "you can use the first two 16-lane slots in SLI or Crossfire, both at x16".

The thing that got me nervous was me casually looking through the manual, just to make sure. I saw the expansion slot overview:

QQHodnn.jpg

...and the table detailing possible configs:

feW167S.jpg

...and there was a big N/A under 16_2 in the latter for everything but triple card (i7-5930k here so refer to the top table). You'd think if that slot could be used in triple it could be used in dual, right? Well apparently not. I got onto the Asus live chat (eventually) and was told that:

You would need to have the GPUs in 16_1 and 16_3 to enable crossfire.

and when I asked if the card would function at all in 16_2:

It would work but crossfire would not be enabled in 16_2.

Seeing as I put this motherboard in with the express intention of putting a second Fury X in and I can't use anything below the 2nd x16 slot (because pump), I'm more than a little annoyed. The guy in the live chat cheerfully told me to go by what the manual says and not by what the store pages say but I'm pretty sure you don't get the manual until after you've bought the product... Makes it difficult to reference beforehand (although I now know to download them before making a choice).

My only thought is that perhaps, because the AMD cards use XDMA and not external bridges, the slots have to be wired specifically for use in each situation.

If anybody has a X99 Deluxe and 2 AMD cards and is willing to give them a shot in 16_1 and 16_2 to see if crossfire works I'd be very grateful although, I did get the above quotes "from the horse's mouth" so to speak, so I'm not optimistic.

And I kind of have my heart set on the X99-M WS now anyway, which definitely can handle the two cards (and the slots on that are all one slot higher than on the Deluxe anyway so there'd be plenty of room.

Last edited:
Associate
I have no idea. Like I said, the only thing I can think of is XDMA needing the slots to be specifically wired for any particular configuration but I have precisely zero knowledge of how SLI and Crossfire work.

I'd buy the second Fury X and test it myself but it's too much of a faff to do anything speculatively with a custom loop (he says, fast approaching his third major loop overhaul in 5 weeks :\ ).

The fact of the matter is that the Asus chap categorically told me that Crossfire wouldn't work with the 2 cards in 16_1 and 16_2 so I have to take that as gospel, as odd as it sounds. After having spent this much on the motherboard I would have thought I could arrange the cards however the hell I want but apparently that's not the case.

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess it might be a design incapability on the board due to the trace design or similar. I only have one AMD card.

So what's wrong with running it in PCIE_3? Considering you'll get 16x/16x this way anyway.

Last edited:
Associate
yXuTzua.jpg

Because pump. :\

I'm literally out of options, I could put the card in 16_3 but I'd have to think of somewhere very creative to put the pump and it's physically not possible to have it anywhere else. I can't move it close enough to the PSU to give me space for the second GPU because the PSU will have power cables coming out of it in either of its orientations that will interfere with the pump. Everything has a knock-on problem and it gets to a point where the only solution is to put a mobo in that can use the higher slots. Every cloud though; using a MicroATX motherboard will allow me to put a 120mm rad on that floor fan where I currently don't have the required depth.

Cramming all this stuff into the smallest possible case seemed like a good idea at the time but it's not without its problems.

Last edited:
Soldato
I spoke to Raja@ASUS about this, don't have anything to hand to test. The room there is tight anyway. I'd think about relocating the pump if I were you. Would stick to the manual and accommodate the build for it. It's how I run my two cards in SLI.

Last edited:
Associate
I spoke to Raja@ASUS about this, don't have anything to hand to test. The room there is tight anyway. I'd think about relocating the pump if I were you. Would stick to the manual and accommodate the build for it. It's how I run my two cards in SLI.
For the record I had an official response from Asus about this.
Thank you for your trust in our technical support.

Taking into consideration your email and after checking the information about your motherboard, I am sorry to inform you that if you want to install two motherboards (sic), you have to use the PCIE 3.0x16_1 and PCIE 3.0x16_3; they will function on X16.

Please check the label illustrating the PCIE configuration on page 1-13:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-DELUXE/f9504_x99_deluxe.pdf

I hope the information provided will be useful.

Have a nice day.
Clear as mud really. No mention of SLI or Crossfire but I'm assuming it's implied when they talk about installing two cards (not motherboards obviously).

Soldato
He is just saying that configuration is needed for 16x lane speed. Not if Crossfire will/won't work in the configuration you've asked. It's a canned response really. Without testing it nobody will likely comment either way - sorry!

Testing GSkill 3400C16 at 3200 C14-16-16-38-1T 1.42v

C9vWeUE.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Looking for help to be able to overclock. I have over clocked before but none of my settings are working. Anyone willing to help a brother out!?

Back
Top Bottom