The best Tennis game ever?

Associate
The good ones that I remember are, of which most have been mentioned already:

• Virtua Tennis 1 & 2 on DC
  • Mario Tennis on N64
  • Anna Kournikova's Smash Court Tennis (PS1 - still have a promo version of this)
  • Everybody's Tennis Portable on PSP, although I think there is a PS2 version it was based on.
  • Final Match Tennis on PC Engine
  • Smash Tennis on SNES
  • Sega Superstars Tennis on Xbox 360
  • Tennis on GameBoy. Dated now but great back in the day.

Although I own it I've never got around to playing Mario Power Tennis on Wii, but have played it on Gamecube. Or the GBA version of Mario Tennis. Or Grand Slam Tennis on Wii. And whilst more of a party game, the tennis on Wii Sports was legendary for the fun it provided.

However my fave will always be Super Tennis on SNES. Getting that along with F-Zero and Super Mario World in the summer of 1992 was one of the best gaming times ever. Played some epic 2-player 5 setters on that. The single player mode is great fun too although those passwords suck. I've never known a game capture the game as well as this one.

Soldato
OP
However my fave will always be Super Tennis on SNES. Getting that along with F-Zero and Super Mario World in the summer of 1992 was one of the best gaming times ever. Played some epic 2-player 5 setters on that. The single player mode is great fun too although those passwords suck. I've never known a game capture the game as well as this one.

It was a VERY special time indeed, like the beginning of 2001 Space Odyssey! I feel EXACTLY the same about Super Tennis, but will be trying some of these recommendations out.

Remember the boss in Super Tennis, he had only one weakness that I could find. :)

Happy days indeed. I've got a CRT TV with just my SNES and Megadrive setup on it, and it ain't going nowhere!

Last edited:
Soldato
I will be having a Tennis game session this weekend and will be playing Super Tennis on my SNES. To me this game has never been matched for shear multiplayer or even single player tennis fun. Virtua Tennis on the Dreamcast is also class but Super Tennis with its limited depth still beats it imo.

I've a Tennis game for my PC Engine (Davis Cup) that I haven't tried, but surely there's others out there that give Super Tennis a run for its money?

What's your favourite Tennis game, and what system(s) was it released on?

Ones I've played:

Super Tennis
Virtua Tennis (Dreamcast, PSP, PS Vita, PS3)
Top Spin (360)
Mario Tennis (Gameboy Advance, Gamecube)

Andy Murray detected

Soldato
Ordered this and the first one(because it's got Agassi, Sampras etc. in it) for £3.50, a steal.

Can't wait, I mean Namco the developers(when they could do no wrong) it must be smashing :)

The Tekken/Soul Calibur unlockable characters were insane, but still worked! So much 2 player fun. Heihachi vs Ling Xiaoyu, has to be played to be believed :cool:

Soldato
140lzmb.jpg

Soldato
OP

Just finished session. Played the Jap version, with "Wagassi" and "Lendou", won my brother on a tie break.

Played doubles, bro was Edberg, me Agassi vs Sampras and Mcanroe. Beat 6-4 :( not bad since my bro hasn't played it for years!

I've went Tennis mad, having a blast on Everyday Tennis PSP on my PS TV now :) (Was going to be a Elder Scrolls Online weekend, but Wimbledon's only once a year!)

Back
Top Bottom