The burning question, would a hybrid be better for me?

Underboss
Taking a long hard look at things and one hard look at car savings

Suppose I don't have a car at present, petrol or hybrid in this situation ?

Leave for work around 5:30am 5 days a week, drive around 5-6 miles to work
Leave work at 3, come straight home, so another 5-6 Miles

One of the days I do this journey around 6pm, so that day becomes double miles

Other days I could be doing this again other days 20 miles more

Odd occaation I visit my mate who lives 100 or so miles away

Plug in is a no no. No where to plug it in, also I use it frequently (6/7 days a week)

Averaging 7000 Miles a year

Underboss
OP
Anywhere to plug in at work? I agree with @M1k3H that an electric car would work nicely for these short trips. Even a 100 mile trip should be no sweat for most things.

Your main benefit from a hybrid will be pure electric use which relies on being able to plug it into the mains presuming there's little traffic and you're below motorway speeds. A non-plug in hybrid will be beneficial for city work with stop start traffic.

My personal view would be that a 5-6 mile commute would be ideal for a bicycle, but I appreciate it's not always that straightforward and not a very "motors" friendly answer.

Plug in is not an option, nor is bike due to health issues

Just need to know if petrol or hybrid is best for me, which would yield better saving over the next 10+ years

Underboss
OP
The problem with hybrids is that the petrol engine most likely will kick in anyway on your commute, as mentioned above.

ah, ok thank you

Question still stands though

Petrol or Hybrid over 10 + years for :

Leave for work around 5:30am 5 days a week, drive around 5-6 miles to work
Leave work at 3, come straight home, so another 5-6 Miles

One of the days I do this journey around 6pm, so that day becomes double miles

Other days I could be doing this again other days 20 miles more

Odd occaation I visit my mate who lives 100 or so miles away

Plug in is a no no. No where to plug it in, also I use it frequently (6/7 days a week)

Averaging 7000 Miles a year

im talking at MPG, tax, running costs etc etc

Underboss
OP
If you can't plug it in and your journey isn't nose to tail stop start city traffic I'd agree with the above and go for a small petrol engine.

ok , thanks for all the help everyone

if i add this on, will you change your mind ? :

Driving an old Focus 1.8, computer says 28 MPG
on a normal week (work and going swimming, to the shops etc) is costing me approx £1300 in fuel alone (under 7K), with another £235 tax a year, so approx £1500 a year

i am hoping to cut this down by half (if its possible)

Underboss
OP
As you have seemed to have pigeon holes decent cars into the premium sector then you can’t really ignore the Porsche Panamera and cayenne flagship model plugin hybrids?

But then we are talking about replacing an old focus here so I’m not really sure why something like a Prius, Auris or Insight fails the brief?

what’s the budget for this costly new car to save pennies? I would focus on what you want, it might already be the Focus.

well, ive been looking on and off for 2 years now

my list as a minimum seems to come back with cars costing £10K +

Auto
Focus Sized car
LED lights or Xenons
LED DRL
Automatic Emergency Braking
Blutooth
USB port for my music
Sat Nav (optional) (i use my TomTom but id like integrated )
Parking Sensors
Folding Mirrors

1L Ecoboost Titanium X = £12K minimum
Toyota Auris Hybrid £12K minimum
Lexus CT200h Hybrid £12K minimum
Leon 1.4 Petrol FR near enough the same
others seem to be higher fuel consumption or tax

Hybrid seems best option ?
£0 tax
More economical
Same / less service costs
Less moving parts = more reliable

thats what ive been looking at , but i could be wrong here

keeping the car so as i thought manufactures are only going to be making Hybrids and Electric cars soon, and more and more people going over to Hybrids and Electric cars, then cost of hybrids wont depreciate as fast as the petrol alternative will

Underboss
OP
I personally think a hybrid would be a very good choice for the OP needs. I diss agree with Fox on that Hybrids tend to be lesser models, etc. If i was looking at Hybrids i would only be looking at Lexus or Toyota they have been building them for a long time. Sorry if i missed it, but size of car do you require?

looking at the Auris / CT 200h
so Focus sized as im quite tall
i don't like small cars, but i don't like huge cars either

see post #38

Underboss
OP
Underboss
OP
Surely you must be able to get a Leon with that spec for under £10k? Even the ancient mk2.5 I think can be had with all that except maybe auto brakes. e.g. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201912024944142?make=SEAT&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=sp12ph&transmission=Automatic&radius=1500&model=LEON&sort=price-asc&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&minimum-badge-engine-size=1.4&maximum-badge-engine-size=1.4&fuel-type=Petrol&page=1
(High mileage, but you say you are going to run it into the ground, so you don't need to worry about trying to sell it, and are only putting 7k/year on it which will bring the average miles per annum down. If you wanted something lower mileage you could get an older one or put a bit more money in and still come out under £10k).

nice as it is, id want 5-door, and the millage is higher than what i have now, so a bit of a down grade, i like buying low mileage cars

theres this one but i hate the Colour:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907190258798?quantity-of-doors=5&fuel-type=Petrol&maximum-mileage=60000&make=SEAT&maximum-badge-engine-size=1.4&transmission=Automatic&postcode=ox394je&aggregatedTrim=FR&year-from=2012&advertising-location=at_cars&body-type=Hatchback&radius=1500&model=LEON&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly

or this one :

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...rly New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-asc&page=1

Underboss
OP
the hybrids do like 50-60 mpg in the ct200h guise.

so what would a non hybrid do? 40mpg?

then take in the cost of petrol per number of miles per year. then the cost of the cars into it.

so how much is the petrol car costing vs hybrid?

what is the difference in mpg? and how many miles per year do you do?

all you need to is a spreadsheet and it will tell you which is better for you.

as i said , cost my car around £1,300 a year (fuel) , add 235 tax to that = £1500
on board CPU says 28.5 mpg

i have a budget spreadsheet, and i pay around £60 a month on fuel
approx 7000 miles a year

Back
Top Bottom