The Callisto Protocol (2022) (from the creator of Dead Space)

Soldato
Not sure what @MOOGLEYS is playing but it’s great fun so far. He hates everything anyway lol

It’s like Dead Space meets Condemned if anyone remembers that old Sega melee game in the 360 I think it was. Pretty brutal.

Sound and visuals both top notch.

Not bothered about reviews it’s something I knew I would like.

I like God of War…. :)

This is just not very good in my opinion. It does look very nice but apart from that it’s a big let down.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a couple of hours in and enjoying it. I may end up turning the combat difficulty down as I'm not the biggest fan of the dodge left/right mechanic and it feels too easy to get wrong, but I'll see how it goes as I start to pick up other weapons. The visuals are excellent, the environments are detailed and well-lit, performance is excellent on PS5, and the sound design and positional audio are excellent, my 5.1 soundbar system isn't anything high-end but the audio really shines.

The Dead Space roots are fairly blatant throughout, it's very-much a spiritual successor in so many ways and I can imagine they were caught slightly off-guard by the remake announcement.

Soldato
I’ve dropped the difficulty as I’ve been getting wrecked with no health or ammo. 3-4 hours in and enjoying it still. I’ve got the dodge down but I feel they are taking too many hits to take down so I’ve made it a bit easier for myself by lowering the difficulty.

Soldato
It's awful, performance on the PS5 without switching to performance mode is dire and it doesn't even look that great either, the fire effects are something else and not in a good way, same can be said for the story setup, the combat is just odd and doesn't flow at all, coupled with the time it takes to heal and the constant waves of enemies with no let up in some sections where a single mistake will leave you dead and having to try it again it's just frustration central, I'm getting too old for these sort of games that offer very little other than bragging rights for having managed to complete them.

Associate
Digital Foundry have lost all credibility for me. It’s been like this for several years now. Games with clearly raised black levels are getting praised as great graphically and also games whose HDR presentation is simply fake hdr and consequently a total mess. They are clearly not wanting to criticise this. Anybody with a decent tv set up properly can clearly see this straight away.

Soldato
Digital Foundry have lost all credibility for me. It’s been like this for several years now. Games with clearly raised black levels are getting praised as great graphically and also games whose HDR presentation is simply fake hdr and consequently a total mess. They are clearly not wanting to criticise this. Anybody with a decent tv set up properly can clearly see this straight away.
Yes! I totally neglected to mention this, the black levels on my Oled are just awful, it's a muddy grey mess. Even on supposedly blank black loading screens it glows like a cheap diffusion backlit screen.

Soldato
Yes! I totally neglected to mention this, the black levels on my Oled are just awful, it's a muddy grey mess. Even on supposedly blank black loading screens it glows like a cheap diffusion backlit screen.
Has your PS5 engaged VRR automatically? That can lead to raised blacks. No idea otherwise.

Soldato
Dropped the combat difficulty down to minimum security and am having a much more enjoyable time now, some encounters were becoming incredibly punishing before. Things would probably be a bit easier now that I've got an additional weapon and upgrades, but the difficulty spikes before were spoiling the fun. Only frustration now is the very limited inventory space meaning I'm constantly leaving items behind.

Also, as much as I've praised the sound design, there are numerous really distracting 'cuts' when moving around/between areas, hopefully they fix that as it spoils the atmosphere when all the background noise suddenly stops because you've stepped through a door.

No issues like this on mine, I've seen various complaints about HDR but I honestly can't see any problem, perhaps it's something that affects newer models with additional implementations/features as mine is an LG B7.

Soldato
Why on earth should VRR have any effect on black levels? I'll try turning it off later but zero confidence it'll do anything whatsoever.

Soldato
Why on earth should VRR have any effect on black levels? I'll try turning it off later but zero confidence it'll do anything whatsoever.
Read about LG OLED panels and VRR. It’s a known issue. It’s why they’ve implemented the ‘fine turn dark areas’ functionality on their TVs and I assume it’s an issue on other makes OLED panels as they’re all produced by LG.

Bearing in mind that new function is just to mitigate the issue. It will never be fully fixed with their current OLED implementation from what I understand. To do with gamma curves, driving the panels to maintain high refresh rates and stuff. I’m not an expert :cry:

Last edited:
Associate
Loads of games with raised blacks unfortunately. Resident Evil 2 and The quarry to name two. RDR2 was the biggest kick in the teeth for me: HDR just never implemented properly. It’s not just games, films/series are the same too. Might not bother most ppl but I find it totally immersion breaking.

Last edited:
Soldato
Read about LG OLED panels and VRR. It’s a known issue. It’s why they’ve implemented the ‘fine turn dark areas’ functionality on their TVs and I assume it’s an issue on other makes OLED panels as they’re all produced by LG.

Bearing in mind that new function is just to mitigate the issue. It will never be fully fixed with their current OLED implementation from what I understand. To do with gamma curves, driving the panels to maintain high refresh rates and stuff. I’m not an expert :cry:
Heh, if it's due to driving the panel at high refresh rates it definitely shouldn't be an issue for the game :cry:

Soldato
Has your PS5 engaged VRR automatically? That can lead to raised blacks. No idea otherwise.
Got around to trying this yesterday, marginally better but still absolutely terrible and having been playing God of War Ragnarok beforehand it really highlighted just how awful the HDR/Black levels are in the game.

Back
Top Bottom