*** The Car Cleaning Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I don't mean to be facetious, but could you possibly direct me to which of the 83 pages answers my question in relation to the products I have? :p

EDIT: Maybe a mod can merge my post into that thread if it's more appropriate?

Last edited:
Claybar is well worth it.

Wash
Dry
Claybar
Wash
Dry
SRP
Deep Shine
2 Layers of Wax

Should see you through a few months! What wax you choose up to you. Personally prefer hard wax rather than paste as it lasts longer.

From then on you can just do a normal shampoo wash/dry every few weeks as if you wax it properly the dirt should come right off

Use clay before polishing, it's not a waste of time (in fact it can be quite time consuming if it's never been done!)
If you use EGP then ensure you buff it all out - made that mistake before! I would always wax last, 2 coats for long protection.
Definitely wouldn't use wire wool on exhaust, I'd wash as normal and then use Autosol Metal Polish with a soft white cloth (I use one from the pack of 10 Halfords own!) - works wonders!
O and will merge with main thread :)

I'm currently sat in a Sainsbury's car park watching two chaps performing a 'hands on' car wash.

The pre-wash involved squirting a bit of APC on a couple of panels, followed by one sponge and one (tiny) bucket being used, with the dirty sponge being squeezed into the 'bucket' (I assume) to save water.

The windows, bodywork and wheels have currently been done and they are just starting to dry it with what looks like the dirtiest drying towel I have ever seen (at least it's not a chamois).

Now one of the guys has stood on the wheel to dry the roof, leaning against the bodywork in the process.

This must do more damage than a drive-through car wash, I can't believe people pay for this 'service'. I think I'd rather have a dirty car.

Im gonna give the car a good clean, polish and wax this week but Im pretty new to this. Ive never done more than wash a car with a bucket and shampoo before.

I have some small scuffs I think would polish out, what order should I do things?

Wash, dry, clay, polish, wash, dry, then wax?

Im gonna give the car a good clean, polish and wax this week but Im pretty new to this. Ive never done more than wash a car with a bucket and shampoo before.

I have some small scuffs I think would polish out, what order should I do things?

Wash, dry, clay, polish, wash, dry, then wax?

Do a youtube search for DRIVE CLEAN, its a series of 10-15 min videos on the Drive channel, showing you the best techniques/tips. I suggest everyone watch them...funny enough I find it quite relaxing. :p

Well, thinking that my wife's Leon was filthy and my Coupe was getting that way, I decided to give them both an exterior clean by spaffing a load of Zipwax over them with my hose brush nozzle and wiping them over. In the pouring rain. It only took 45 minutes for both cars and has stopped the wife complaining, so not all bad. The dirt comes off so easily when it's be rained on for several hours too. Downside is your neighbours think you've lost the plot.

Well, thinking that my wife's Leon was filthy and my Coupe was getting that way, I decided to give them both an exterior clean by spaffing a load of Zipwax over them with my hose brush nozzle and wiping them over. In the pouring rain. It only took 45 minutes for both cars and has stopped the wife complaining, so not all bad. The dirt comes off so easily when it's be rained on for several hours too. Downside is your neighbours think you've lost the plot.

You're mentally ill, when it's raining it's time for jebus and his friends to wash our cars.

********!

I got this massive stone chip right in the middle of my bonnet this weekend, after spending four hours waxing on friday. ****ed off but what can you do. Audi recommend touching it up to protect it, will only take 30 mins to dry but I don't trust the weather in my area. :( :mad:

photoetj.jpg

********!

I got this massive stone chip right in the middle of my bonnet this weekend, after spending four hours waxing on friday. ****ed off but what can you do. Audi recommend touching it up to protect it, will only take 30 mins to dry but I don't trust the weather in my area. :( :mad:

Repair kit.. some fine tipped cotton buds and should be fine. Dab the paint in not drag.

I would buy proper paint... I recently got some from Paints4U on the bay. Comes with 30ml of paint and 30 ml of clearcoat (if applicable).

On other matters, I spent 5 hours cleaning the zed on Sunday!

Wash / Dry / SRP / Wet Mirror Finish and 2 coats of collinite 476. Looks the business :D. Highly recommend Wet Mirror Finish for a Silver car... the shine is fantastic!

Last edited:
Hey cleaning lovers,

I've inherited an old Mondeo from a family member and it came with a musty kind of wet dog smell...what are you best tips for removing the odour? It's not being caused by the air conditioning so I think it's in the fabric of the seats...

Cheers!

Steam cleaning with G101 and wet vaccing the crap up would be best, if you don't have access to that you'll just have to use a cleaning brush and some interior shampoo or G101 (diluted).
That should give them a good clean :)
You'll then probably want to get a decent air freshener (i use California Scents ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom