*** The Car Cleaning Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks I used Autoglym engine & machine cleaner agitated with a large soft brush + small detailing brush, rinsed off with spray hose attachment then all plastics/rubbers treated with Autoglym vinyl + rubber care and wiped down.

Having seen your engine bay, I've decided I definitely need to do mine.

What were the products like to use? Anyone else got any recommendations?

It was stupidly easy to do just get some decent brushes, start with a cold engine, rinse engine and underside of bonnet with low pressure, spray the cleaner liberally over everything (Its safe on plastics, paint and metals) then give everything a good scrub with one of the brushes, rinse off, let the engine idle for 10 mins to help things dry and protect. You can either spray the rubber & vinyl care and let it dry by itself for high gloss or leave for 5mins and wipe off which I did which gives a good natural finish.

Just remember to get a couple of plastic bags and wrap up your alternator, any other exposed electronics and in my case I covered the front of the air intake as there is a big gap in it.

Last edited:
I've bought a load of stuff for my first ever big clean, now I've just found out it's not unheard of to use sealant and wax. My car is silver and someone recommended Wolf's Chemicals Nano Paint Sealant - Body Wrap.
I used to think cleaning a car was fairy liquid and and a wash mitt, I now own the following:
Autosmart Tardis, IronX, Magifoam + lance, Megs gold class shampoo, Bilt Hamber soft autoclay bar, Gtechniq P1, Poorboys Blackhole glaze, Collinite 845 and for the wheels, Poorboys wheel sealant.
I have a generic merino wool mitt, wooly mammoth drying towel, tri-foam pads for polishing, general foam pads for glaze and sealent/wax, and of course a shed load of microfibres.
If I find I enjoy doing the car I may move on to a DA polisher later on but didn't want to go too crazy incase I don't have the patience for it.

Excellent, and how are they good? Thats just google search results, i can get those, surprisingly, by searching on Google

I wanted to know of any good online retailers you guys had used, by good i mean prompt/reliably/keenly priced

Massive thread, so a cheap suggestion for an alloy wheel brush ?

What sort of brush? I have 3, a 1" round brush for the face, a double side small brush to get between the spokes on my wheels and a big brush to clean the back of the wheel.

The 1" round brush you could just use a cheap paint brush, the double sided brush between spokes isn't great but was cheap from halfrauds.

Excellent, and how are they good? Thats just google search results, i can get those, surprisingly, by searching on Google

I wanted to know of any good online retailers you guys had used, by good i mean prompt/reliably/keenly priced

Top result from there seems to be cleanyourcar which I have used loads and brilliant service however always have to pay for delivery so try to avoid buying from them unless I have a big order. Could try polished bliss, used them too and good easy delivery and if you can wait for the slow delivery it is free :) I have found CYC to be cheaper than PB usually but delivery cost mitigates this when buying 1 or 2 items.

i4detailing, cleanyourcar and polished bliss are my favourite three.

You don't wash again after using the clay bar? Seems very odd...

No, I already explained it, I used to but think about it.

I have snow foamed it to lift up the dirt in the first place.

2 Buckets to wash off any bits

Clayed it to picked out all the grubby bits.

If the 3 above won't remove all the grime then I must be doing something seriously wrong. The paint is bare at that point with no polish, no wax and no dirt.

Perfect time to start treating the paint, not contaminate it with more chemicals, I may rinse it with some water but not wash it again. Seems illogical to me, unless you can explain what benefits washing it again with 2 buckets can help?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom