*** The Car Cleaning Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
You shouldn't need to wash after claying. Get straight onto the polishing stage.

Shouldn't need is somewhat true, but I still think it's a must. You've spent that long so far, what's an extra 10-20 minutes harm in giving it a quick wash? The clay bar sometimes won't "pick" up the dirt but simply aggravate it, and with the lube/water just move it to another area. You could just use a plush microfibre towel to pick up such loose dirt. But I prefer a good blast with the jet and more suds.

Just my 2 pence...

I've mainly cleaned lighter cars so in my experience of claying, you cannot see or feel any contaminents in the paint afterwards. Clay really does pick it all off.

I agree entirely, but after doing all that to then drag a piece of grit across the paint would be ****.

It's just taking extra care I suppose.

I agree entirely, but after doing all that to then drag a piece of grit across the paint would be ****.

It's just taking extra care I suppose.

You take the same risk pushing that mitt across the car too, especially if you used it earlier or same 2 buckets of water.

Just hose it down, best and safest way.

As for 2 layers of wax, yes the logic to that was 2 layers is better than 1? :p

Detailer used Prima Epic on the car, beading is sensational :D

E481875D-C367-4A7B-A91B-C1E121A230E5-1048-000001C5A80FA2AC_zps283c9a28.jpg

This is 10 weeks on too

hi
after a bit of advice. im after an all purpose cleaner to use around the car mainly interior and wheels. reading around autosmart g101 seems to be rated but for interior purposes it gets mixed review with some saying its not safe to use inside while others saying its fine. would you recommend using it or is there anything else that would be better

thanks

With the dry weather tomorrow, I'm going to give my car it's first proper clean. The paintwork has the usual swirls from a life of poor cleaning at the dealership, so going to do my best to correct some of these with the machine polisher.

Need to stock up on some cleaning supplies too, so will pop to Halfords in the morning.
Will post some pictures when it's done :D

Oh well never mind! I've just checked the weather to see what the temp would be after reading your post, and in the last 2 days it's gone from Sunny and dry to Rain with a chance of Snow!

Fantastic...

VP Citrus Pre-Wash can be mixed to great dilutions and is fantastic around the interior..

hi
after a bit of advice. im after an all purpose cleaner to use around the car mainly interior and wheels. reading around autosmart g101 seems to be rated but for interior purposes it gets mixed review with some saying its not safe to use inside while others saying its fine. would you recommend using it or is there anything else that would be better

thanks

Hi,

Looking for some advice, I got a Ford Mondeo in Ford Candy Red which is a pearlescent paint. What cleaning stuff would you guys recommend ? I know about the 2 bucket wash method. but never used clay bars etc.

Any help would be appreciated ?

Hi,

Looking for some advice, I got a Ford Mondeo in Ford Candy Red which is a pearlescent paint. What cleaning stuff would you guys recommend ? I know about the 2 bucket wash method. but never used clay bars etc.

Any help would be appreciated ?

Personally:

• 2 Bucket method with a Sheeps Skin mitt (dry with a drying towel, NOT a Chamois)
  • Clay bar
  • Wash again with 2 bucket method
  • Polish (by hand) with Auto Glym Super Resin Polish (2-3 coats)
  • Wax the car with your chosen wax (I use Dodo Juice) (2-3 coats)

If the paint work has got swirl marks or faded paint colour it will be worth having ti machine polished before you do the above.

I've got some spare wheels which I need to fit for a while whilst mine are being re-furbished. Unfortunately, my spare set have got some dried on brake dust which has been there for yuears, and no amount of wheel cleaners I've used will shift it.

Can anyone reccommend something other than the norm for getting rid of it? I guess I could try some wonder wheels but I've read varying reviews about it. Am I better off attacking it with a fsmall fine wire brush?

Thanks.

Personally:

• 2 Bucket method with a Sheeps Skin mitt (dry with a drying towel, NOT a Chamois)
  • Clay bar
  • Wash again with 2 bucket method
  • Polish (by hand) with Auto Glym Super Resin Polish (2-3 coats)
  • Wax the car with your chosen wax (I use Dodo Juice) (2-3 coats)

If the paint work has got swirl marks or faded paint colour it will be worth having ti machine polished before you do the above.

Not really looked at the paintwork to be fair. Car is only 6 month old so hoping it should be in reasonable condition. Where do you guys get your cleaning stuff from. I have read about a pre wash snow foam ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom