1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** The Car Cleaning Thread ***

Discussion in 'Motors' started by wassap, Jun 20, 2008.

1. norm

Mobster

B/S video. Doesn't show the car after it's dried. You can take a pressure washer to your car, blast the visible dirt off, and it'll look clean when wet. But when the panels dry it'll still look grimy and dirty.

2. Cookeh

Sgarrista

Might not be the lance. If your pressure washer doesn't pump out at least 120bar you'll struggle to get 'proper' thick foam - which is the issue I have at the moment. So I've been informed at any rate, and in my case I know the lance isnt the issue (AB lance :p).

3. Greg0986

Wise Guy

Nice easy wash today. Meguiars Endurance Tyre Gel was applied last week, and it still looks good today (and its my daily driver - 15 miles a day plus more at weekend)

[​IMG]DSC_0023 by Gregory Berry, on Flickr

[​IMG]DSC_0024 by Gregory Berry, on Flickr

4. norm

Mobster

Looks smart. Stunning shade of blue. Have you considered tinting the rear windows though?

5. kona786

Capodecina

I really dislike dark rear tints. Just looks odd. Would prefer an all round light tint but sadly not legal.

6. no idea what

Sgarrista

I bought a Chemical Guys Woolly Mammoth drying towel a couple of months back, it soaks up tons of water but always leaves tons of streaks even from bone dry, and I have to go over it with my old drying towel to get them off. Are all towels like this or what? Tempted to go back to a leather chamois at this rate.

7. grudas

Capodecina

Gave the zed and the Mazda a wash today
    [​IMG]

Mazda was filthy....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Sparky-F1

Sgarrista

My Sonax one works fine and streak free.

9. Armageus

Don

I only have the 110 bar nilfisk with a generic lance - seems to produce thick enough foam with valet pro pH neutral. (And by thick enough as in it will build up to a good couple of inches thick before collapsing)

10. paradigm

Caporegime

I only used my mammoth for about a month due to the same thing it's an awful towel.

11. chroniclard

Capodecina

Need a product to get off caked on exhaust emissions. Auto sol just isnt removing it all!

Any recommendations?

12. Diagro

Sgarrista

More hard work.

Keep on rubbing

13. chroniclard

Capodecina

Yeah I got bored after 15 minutes rubbing. :p

Just using a micro fibre, wonder if something a little more abrasive will help or would mar the surface.

14. paradigm

Caporegime

I use my machine polisher and an old ruined pad on my exhaust tips (or at least, I did on my A4, not had to yet on the S3). Used a low speed and a cheap metal polish, always brought them back to a smooth mirror finish.

15. Amos91

Wise Guy

Start with 0000 grade wire wool, if it still not good enough, move up to 00.

16. Havana_UK

Mobster

Yep, a fine wire wool is what you need.

17. MoRT489

Soldato

I used the autobrite foam lance and magifoam for the first time yesterday and OMG it's so much better than the standard Karcher one! I put about 2" magifoam in the bottom of the autobrite bottle (will use 1" next time) and topped up with warm water. The consistency of the foam ranged from watery to whipped cream(!!) with the adjustable settings, so I used it pretty much like thick snow. The dwell time was brilliant - tbh I think it would still be there if I hadn't washed it off :D, so maybe I had it a bit thick. Even though it went on pretty thick it washed off very easily with the pressure washer - did cause a bit of a bubble mountain in the drain though.

The results were impressive - about 2 months of winter driving since the last proper wash, by the time I rinsed though the sun was down so I didn't move on to the 2B wash and mostly the cars are reasonably clean as a result. There's obviously a few streaks but not bad for a quick tidy up, I was particularly impressed with how well it did on the wheels. I was putting the cars into service this morning and didn't want them to wash the dirt into it, as they don't pre-wash :rolleyes: not ideal but was pressed for time.

Highly recommend the Autobrite lance to anyone umming and erring over whether to buy it.

18. chroniclard

Capodecina

Will get some fine wire wool then, ta.

Annoying, been keeping them polished quite religiously but went on holiday/rained loads, so has been over a month since I cleaned them. Surprising amount of crud on the tips. :mad:

19. Diagro

Sgarrista

Being a DeDpfed 2.2 Dirty Diesel My exhaust becomes covered in black stuff within days.

Just like all your lungs.. MWAHAHAHAHAH

^.. I am actually trying to source a second hand or new DPF to be less polluting. So don't hate me. Mistakes were made.. Now putting them right.

20. Cleisthenes

Sgarrista

Might have to get myself some wire wool as the MX5's tip are atrocious.

Although I think there might be some damage to chrome effect which is a pain.