Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Was waiting for the outrage to come rolling in regarding Fairy Liquid.

Must admit I am guilty of using this on one occasion but it was for a specific task, on my first car I actually used it to clean the tyre walls as they had become extremely brown and it foamed up and worked a treat.

My logic was it’s a degreaser and will foam up well and yep so it did.

Not done it since though! Was a one time thing and no harm done to the tyres.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fairy liquid used to be the poor man's wax stripping chemical of choice. Sounds like he did a deep clean and then protected the paint.

Pretty sure it's got all sorts of abrasive type stuff and salty juice in there though so not quite sure why it's being used in 2021!

Soldato
Does anyone watch the detail geek on YouTube? He has his own stuff too.

Id struggle to trust anyone who also sells their own branded cleaning products to provide an unbiased review.

It’s going to be difficult to tell whether a product is any good through a YouTube video, so you have to rely on their testing and own advice.

Hence why I usually go to the Forensic Detailing channel for any advice on cleaning products

Soldato
To stand any chance of removing water from a car with a leaf blower you have to wax it first, which I get. However prior to waxing you’d have to pre wash it, rinse it and then wash it with a microfibre mitt and shampoo after which you’d need to dry it and the leaf blower won’t help you.

So how often do you wax a car without pre washing it first? Otherwise I don’t see the point in drying it with a leaf blower if you have to dry the car anyway after a wash.

Also what’s the point of rinsing a freshly waxed and buffed car with water. It only makes sense if you were to apply a layer of wax then a couple of weeks later just wash the car so the wax coating beads the water which allows it to be blown off by the leaf blower.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
To stand any chance of removing water from a car with a leaf blower you have to wax it first, which I get. However prior to waxing you’d have to pre wash it, rinse it and then wash it with a microfibre mitt and shampoo after which you’d need to dry it and the leaf blower won’t help you.

So how often do you wax a car without pre washing it first? Otherwise I don’t see the point in drying it with a leaf blower if you have to dry the car anyway after a wash.

Also what’s the point of rinsing a freshly waxed and buffed car with water. It only makes sense if you were to apply a layer of wax then a couple of weeks later just wash the car so the wax coating beads the water which allows it to be blown off by the leaf blower.
You don't wax a car that isn't clean nor do you wash straight after waxing. This is why you also own a traditional microfibre drying towel. Dry it with the towel than carry on as normal. Once the car is waxed, you can use the blower to dry instead of the towel or as a combo. Once the water beading starts to wain, you re-wax it or you use a top up product before the beading goes completely.

A good wax should last a couple of months if the preparation is done properly. My tin of collinite 476s tends to last about 4-6 months and the tin of Fusso coat I bought in July should last 6-9 months. Bilt hamber double speed wax is also considered very durable. If paste waxes aren't your thing, there are some spray sealants that last remarkably well. (meguiars hybrid ceramic spray does well in reviews as do some of the turtlewax products)

Soldato
Id struggle to trust anyone who also sells their own branded cleaning products to provide an unbiased review.

It’s going to be difficult to tell whether a product is any good through a YouTube video, so you have to rely on their testing and own advice.

Hence why I usually go to the Forensic Detailing channel for any advice on cleaning products
He seems to have a good rep online unless anybody here knows different

Soldato
I changed to the Nilfisk snow foam lance and got to use it today,. Very impressed for the price. Better performance than the Autobrite metal pro ones that are often rebranded by others too and cheaper/smaller.

This is NOT the same one you get with Nilfisk washers. Those bundled ones are toilet.

snowfoam_nilfisk.gif

Polar Blast here too. I don't calculate anything, that's just additional faff. I smash stuff in and if it works I stick with that method.
That is pretty impressive! I may well give Snow Foam another shot with one of those. I had the generic 'sold as many brands' lance for my Nilfisk and it just seemed to spit out soapy water without really going thick.

While you didn't measure it what was the ratio roughly of water to Polar Blast? Or did you stick it in neat and adjust the mix?

Man of Honour
For the above clip I put it in neat and adjusted the dial, seemed the best way but next time will try a 50/50 solution as that's what I used to do previously with the old lance. I don't think it matters too much though with this lance as its designed to be used a specific way. I had the dial at the most open setting so it picks up the most foam from the bottle and even then was able to go over the car 3 times so I would say a 50/50 mix would easily be enough maybe even 25/75 for a single coat and keeping the dial wide open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom