Status
Not open for further replies.
Underboss
I've got that meguairs brush and I struggle getting it in between the front brake disks and calipers on my car. Also its a nightmare to clean out and takes ages to dry out.

Does hold a lot of suds though.

Been thinking of getting one like this for awhile

mine :

also the small one

i just use the large one

gets right behind the alloys. and all in between brakes etc

to do the lugs, i use the autoglum brush

Soldato
I've got that meguairs brush and I struggle getting it in between the front brake disks and calipers on my car. Also its a nightmare to clean out and takes ages to dry out.

Does hold a lot of suds though.

Been thinking of getting one like this for awhile

Ah yeah now that you mention it - I have this garbage brush which is useless for pretty much everything other than hitting calipers whilst being lazy (i.e. not moving the car forward). It is the small thing in this kit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/lesasas-Cl...ive&sprefix=wheel+brush,automotive,72&sr=1-28

God knows where I got it from, but it works in lots of awkward situations.

Also a wheel brush to get the rim that modern alloys seem to include just behind the face, rage.

Soldato
@Hasnath @ShiWarrior I'd be ***really*** careful with that kind of wheel brush. The last time I used one the little rubber/plastic protector came off the tip and I didn't realise. Underneath that is two twisted metal cords which hold the bristles in place and it WILL scratch the crap out of your wheels. I had to have mine refinished. Never, ever again.

I use a combination of the Megs brush that dLockers linked to, and a set of smaller plastic-only handled brushes for getting behind callipers. Whatever you use, make sure there's no metal in it, anywhere.

Last edited:
Underboss
@Hasnath @ShiWarrior I'd be ***really*** careful with that kind of wheel brush. The last time I used one the little rubber/plastic protector came off the tip and I didn't realise. Underneath that is two twisted metal cords which hold the bristles in place and it WILL scratch the crap out of your wheels. I had to have mine refinished. Never, ever again.

I use a combination of the Megs brush that dLockers linked to, and a set of smaller plastic-only handled brushes for getting behind callipers. Whatever you use, make sure there's no metal in it, anywhere.

good point

thats Mag one says no metal parts, the large one is cheaper than the medium one at present

Soldato
Meguires Wheel Brush - I have one and it’s very soft and safe for your wheels.
The brush itself holds tons of suds but depending on your alloy wheel design could be awkward to use since it’s fairly large and heavy once loaded up.

Gave mine a wash earlier, it was looking like a WRC Rally Car.

Used Autobrite - Brite Gel in the IK Foamer on the wheels with decent results! Only focused on the tyres and alloy faces since it was a fairly quick wash.

Not happy with the ride height out of the box, might have to do something about it… seen plenty on Instagram and they just sit and look loads better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Another bonus of the Tesla.... No brake dust or contamination on the alloys! :D:cool:
They get washed with the mitt and come up as good as the rest of the bodywork in seconds.

Soldato
@nlel1975 how are you getting on with the Greenworks GDC40? I only ask as mine when turned on, but not pressing the trigger, will run the motor every couple of seconds or so. Almost like there's pressure being lost and the unit it truing to prime constantly.

Soldato
Picked up some Infinity Wax - Diablo PTFE Wax. Looking forward to trying it out. I guess similar to the Fusso King of Gloss in how it works, but keen to see how it applies and if it dusts on removal. But the product video seemed good. :) Also swapped my Auto Finesse Aqua Coat for Gyeon Wet Coat. The Aqua Coat, no matter how I used it, would always leave marks behind which meant I'd have to wax (or quick wax) over the top to remove. It didn't matter if I used a hose or a pressure washer to remove it. The weather can be cloudy and mild and it can be instantly removed yet it still left marks. Especially noticeable on glass. So yeah, gonna try Gyeon out instead. Been loving the Chem Guys Hydrosuds Ceramic shampoo. It foams up brilliantly, can wash the car and wheels and still not go flat. And it does a good job at cleaning the car. But as it is a liquid and not like a thick gel, it doesn't seem to last as long.

Man of Honour
Haven’t cleaned or sealed the car well for a while.

BH prewash
AG polar wash
AG resin polish (so easy with those round polishing sponges with a handle that attaches)
AG UHD wax

Also did boot and door edges along with an under the bonnet clean, not that there was much grime. Nice and clean for the service tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Haven’t cleaned or sealed the car well for a while.

BH prewash
AG polar wash
AG resin polish (so easy with those round polishing sponges with a handle that attaches)
AG UHD wax

Also did boot and door edges along with an under the bonnet clean, not that there was much grime. Nice and clean for the service tomorrow :)
I like polar wash, got a set for Christmas with Polar Blast, Wash and Seal. Used the Wash in 2 washes but thought it was so nice to use I bought a 2.5L bottle. The Seal is a nice easy finisher too, the 500ml bottle from the set will last me ages.

Quick question to all about tar remover, as far as I can tell there aren't any black marks stuck to the car, is it still something you'd spray all over the car and wash off anyway, to do a strip, polish and seal?

Man of Honour
I like polar wash, got a set for Christmas with Polar Blast, Wash and Seal. Used the Wash in 2 washes but thought it was so nice to use I bought a 2.5L bottle. The Seal is a nice easy finisher too, the 500ml bottle from the set will last me ages.

Quick question to all about tar remover, as far as I can tell there aren't any black marks stuck to the car, is it still something you'd spray all over the car and wash off anyway, to do a strip, polish and seal?

Although I don’t always use all 3, they are great products.

I just use tar remover where it’s needed.

Thought I better clean the wife’s car while mine is getting a service:

AG pure shampoo
AG resin polish
AG UHD wax
AG Tyre dressing
AG bumper and trim gel

Needs a better paint correction at some point.

Perfect weather for car washing! Mild, not raining, not particularly sunny. Hands stay warm, car doesn’t dry too quickly.

Didn’t post pictures of my car since I finished in the dark, thank goodness for a headlamp. Funny thing is, the headlamp actually shows up the paint better.

Last edited:
Soldato
I need to re-stock a few bits, what are the favourites for:

* Glass? I have a Glaco SOFT99 but I guess this is just the abrasive to then apply some protection. I need a
- Cleaner
- Hydrophobic Sealant?

* Polish? I have used SRP and then Ultra Deep Shine (UDS). UDS gets super dusty and is really hard work when it is warm.

* Shampoo? I have typically used AG Shampoo.

Soldato
Glass - I think they're much of a muchness, I know the Forensic Detailing guy rated the HG Glass cleaner as top for him, although I didn't watch the full video to understand why. It's not a dedicated car glass cleaner, but I've heard HG products are well regarded and it probably went to #1 in his list for cost (car products tend to have a higher mark up).

The latest theory for glass is making a small bucket of rinseless wash, just enough to soak a microfibre in and ringing it to just damp, before wiping the glass clean and following up with a dry microfibre to dry/buff. Apparently this doesn't leave any streaking and is cost effective due to how concentrated rinseless washes are.

Polish - depends on what you're after and how you wish to work it. Sonax Perfect Finish is often the product quoted as being the best finishing polish, but will require a machine. As you know SRP can be used by hand because it's not really designed for giving cut and is more a filler.

Shampoo - my two favourites are CarPro reset, and Tac Systems Mystic Bubble and the latter just pips it for me as it cleans as well, is usually cheaper per ml and rinses easier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom