The Chelsea Club Thread **No Spoilers**

Man of Honour
OP
It appears that the delay in planning permission for the new stadium is due to bats (Times):

The last time Chelsea had a close encounter with a colony of bats, they were playing Valencia in the Champions League in 2011 and won 3-0.

Now supporters of the third-biggest club in Spain, whose players sport the flapping creatures on their shirts, can revel in their opponents’ misfortune at the news that their mascots are causing all manner of havoc at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea had hoped to begin work soon on a £600 million stadium in west London, bankrolled by their billionaire Russian owner Roman Abramovich. The project was designed by the Swiss architects Herzog & de Meuron, the group behind the new Switch House gallery at Tate Modern.

A colony of bats in the neighbouring Brompton cemetery, a Grade I-listed Victorian burial ground, however, threatens to derail the project and its proposed completion date of 2020.

The local council, Hammersmith and Fulham, has asked the club managers to explain how they propose to protect the cemetery and the denizens of its catacombs before approving the new stadium, which the architects claim is inspired by Westminster Cathedral.

Plans for a three-tiered arena with a capacity of 60,000 that were submitted in December have been deemed inadequate, particularly the “inconclusive” environmental statement.

In a letter to Chelsea’s planning agent, the council said: “[There is a] lack of detail and certainty over the phasing and demolition and construction.”

The club has now responded to the request for more information.

Man of Honour
OP
So it begins as Conte demands squad overhaul (Times):

Antonio Conte has told Roman Abramovich that the Chelsea squad that won the Premier League two seasons ago needs to be dismantled and rebuilt because many of the surviving players are incapable of regaining their title-winning form.

It is understood that Conte and Abramovich had lunch at the clubs training ground for the third successive day yesterday, during which they discussed how to overhaul a group of players who were champions just 14 months ago.

Abramovich is believed to be sympathetic to Contes requests after watching Chelsea suffer comprehensive defeats by Liverpool and Arsenal in their last two Premier League matches, particularly as the new manager did not demand wholesale changes when he took charge of the club in the summer. Conte was only able to sign one player NGolo Kanté from his own list of transfer targets, with Michy Batshuayi identified by sporting director Michael Emenalo, and David Luiz and Marcos Alonso recruited late in the transfer window as emergency signings.

Conte initially accepted Abramovichs view that a talented group of players had underperformed dismally under José Mourinho last season because of a breakdown in their relationship with the manager, but eight competitive matches into his reign he appears to have altered his view.

The Italian is understood to have told Abramovich of his fear that several Chelsea players will never reproduce the form they showed for Mourinho the season before last and recommended they be phased out. Nemanja Matic, Oscar, Branislav Ivanovic and Gary Cahill are believed to be the most vulnerable, while Cesc Fbregas will also be made available for the right price.

Conte has also expressed concern that there is an underlying complacency in the dressing room due to a culture of player-power that has developed over several years and he is determined to stamp it out.

Despite his track record of firing managers, Abramovich remains fully supportive of Conte regardless of Chelseas poor start to the season and has accepted many of his findings. The Russian has demonstrated his commitment to improving Chelsea by watching their training sessions every day this week, but has not spoken to the players, preferring to talk to Conte over lunch. The owner is willing to bankroll several signings in January, with a creative central midfield player Contes main target, but Chelsea expect to find it difficult to do business.

Man of Honour
OP
Good news as Kurt Zouma played his first competitive football (45 minutes) in almost nine months last night, playing for the development squad in the Premier League 2 against Derby County.

Associate
West Ham 2 v Chelsea 1

Brave by Conte to make so many changes, but that's what the League cup is about isn't it? Apparently not for West Ham or Man Utd who fielded full strength sides.

Thought Willian was very poor. Sloppy and disinterested. It only takes 1 or 2 players to not give 100% for the whole team to suffer. Failed to close down opposition for both of their goals. Oscar's attitude was better but he still looks like he's far too weak physically for the PL.

Aina and Chalobah did well, Batshuayi was poor and looks to be really struggling. He needs to do what Costa does and move around more, other wise he'll just get shackled every game he plays.

Terry? You need to be very quick in a back 3, and he isn't. Time to be dropped long term? I think so.

Against Man Utd, it was good to see Pedro do well. He looked hungry and determined. Earlier when deeper, he looked very ineffective.

Man of Honour
OP
Fàbregas set to go on loan (Times):

Chelsea are willing to let Cesc Fàbregas go out on loan in January and may even subsidise his wages to give Antonio Conte the best chance of bringing in another midfield player.

The former Arsenal player has started only one Premier League match this season — being substituted after 55 minutes of Chelsea’s 3-0 defeat by his former team before picking up a thigh injury in training last month — and has little prospect of being given extended game time, particularly since Conte switched to a 3-4-3 system after that defeat at the Emirates Stadium five weeks ago.

Fàbregas is Chelsea’s third highest-paid player, after Eden Hazard and Diego Costa, on wages of £160,000 a week, which the club have concluded is an unjustifiable outlay on a player the first team head coach regards as an impact substitute. With two and a half years left on his contract and his wages prohibitive to most clubs, Chelsea are willing to take the unusual step of allowing a senior player to leave on loan and are open to continuing to pay a small proportion of his wages.

The Times has learnt that Fàbregas came close to joining AC Milan on loan on transfer deadline day last August, with the deal collapsing at the last minute after a disagreement over the proportion of his wages that Chelsea were willing to pay. The club will take similar steps to offload him in January. Chelsea have 38 mostly young players out on loan at clubs throughout Europe, but have not been willing to subsidise a loan player’s wages since Fernando Torres moved to Milan two and a half years ago.

Fàbregas has not fallen out with Conte and has impressed his backroom team with his professionalism throughout a difficult season, but it is clear that he does not feature prominently in the head coach’s plans.

Conte feels that Fàbregas lacks the physical strength and positional discipline to play as one of two central midfield players in his preferred 3-4-3 system, as well as having insufficient pace to operate out wide or in more attacking areas.

N’Golo Kanté and Nemanja Matic have formed an effective central partnership, which has brought Chelsea four successive Premier League wins without conceding a goal since the Arsenal defeat, and Conte wants to add another physically imposing midfield player to his squad in January.

Fàbregas is also suffering as a result of the lack of European football at Chelsea this season and their elimination from the EFL Cup by West Ham United last week, with the lack of midweek games meaning that Conte has no need to rotate his squad. The 29-year-old Spaniard and his family are happy in London and it is unclear whether he will be willing to leave despite continued interest from Milan and Juventus.

Man of Honour
OP
I hope that is the good news we've been waiting for (Times):

Chelsea’s determination to gain exclusive use of Wembley during the redevelopment of Stamford Bridge is such that the club discussed offering the FA one year’s rent — about £20 million — 12 months before the start of their tenancy to prevent Tottenham Hotspur from using the national stadium. The FA made it clear during preliminary negotiations that it was not willing to grant exclusivity to either club however, so Chelsea’s bid was not formalised. Chelsea’s stadium project is behind Tottenham’s, but they could still end up sharing Wembley because Hammersmith & Fulham council is expected to approve planning permission for the Stamford Bridge redevelopment on Wednesday, which would leave the club needing a temporary home for the start of the 2018-19 season. Tottenham are only due to spend next season at Wembley but any delays in the rebuilding of White Hart Lane could lead to a logistically challenging ground-share.

Man of Honour
OP
Hammersmith and Fulham Council have granted planning permission for the new stadium!

Times:

Chelsea have been granted planning permission for a £500 million redevelopment of Stamford Bridge, the club announced last night.
Hammersmith and Fulham council’s planning committee voted unani-mously to approve the proposal for a 60,000-seat stadium — an upgrade from the ground’s present capacity of 41,490 — at a meeting yesterday.

Chelsea now require the permission of Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, before they can begin construction.

If the Premier League leaders get the final go-ahead, they are expected to use Wembley as a temporary home ground for up to three years while building work takes place.

A Chelsea statement said: “More than a year ago, a planning application for a new stadium at Stamford Bridge with an expanded seating capacity was submitted to our local council, Hammersmith and Fulham.

“Over the past 12 months, we have consulted widely with neighbouring residents, local businesses, statutory authorities and continued to work closely with the council.

“Tonight the council’s planning committee considered the application and we are grateful that planning permission was granted for the redevelopment of our historic home.”

“The committee decision does not mean that work can begin on site. This is just the latest step, although a significant one, that we have to take before we can commence work, including obtaining various other permissions.”

The news was welcomed by Chelsea Pitch Owners (CPO), the group that owns the freehold to the land on which the stadium sits. A statement said: “We believe the plans will provide a world-class stadium and the bold architectural design will enhance the local area.

“As a supporter-based organisation and owner of the freehold of the land on which the current stadium lies — a role that is unique among the leading clubs in England — CPO was set up to ensure the club remains at the Bridge, its home since 1905.

“That goal looks more secure than it has for many years following the planning approval.

“We look forward to continued co-operation with the club on this exciting project.”

Last edited:
Associate
Hammersmith and Fulham Council have granted planning permission for the new stadium!

I just worry about my season tickets, I really hope I get the same or similar view point at both the temporary ground (Wembley?) and the new ground, I'm currently in East Stand Upper almost bang on the half way line.

Caporegime
The legend retires. He's been my favourite from the start, and to me he will always be the best. What a truly incredible player. :)

Frank Lampard said:
After 21 incredible years, I have decided that now is the right time to finish my career as a professional footballer. Whilst I have received a number of exciting offers to continue playing at home and abroad, at 38 I feel now is the time to begin the next chapter in my life. I’m immensely proud of the trophies I’ve won, of representing my country over 100 times and of scoring more than 300 career goals.

I have many people to thank. I thank my parents for instilling in me the values of hard work, dedication and professionalism, values which I have carried with me in everything that I do. I am forever grateful for the support of my family, my wife Christine and my two daughters Luna and Isla. What you have given me off the pitch has always been my strength on it. I love you all very much. Also, my friends and my own team that have always been there for me. I would like to thank the amazing team-mates, coaches, managers and backroom staff that I was privileged to work with.

I’d also like to pay tribute to the clubs that I have represented. Firstly, West Ham United who gave me my debut in 1996. Thanks to the people there that believed in me at that young age. More recently Manchester City and NYCFC. I greatly enjoyed my last playing years at these two clubs and really appreciate the support I received from City Football Group and both clubs’ fans.

Of course, the largest part of my heart belongs to Chelsea, a club which has given me so many great memories. I will never forget the opportunity they gave me and the success that we managed to achieve together. It is impossible to give thanks individually to all the people that helped and supported me in my 13 years playing there. All I can say is from the day I signed until now and going forward, I'm eternally grateful for everything and to everyone. Chelsea fans gave myself and my teammates such incredible support. Their passion and hunger drove me on personally to give my best year after year. I couldn't have done it without them.

Looking forward, I'm grateful to the FA for the opportunity to study for my coaching qualifications and I look forward to pursuing the off-field opportunities that this decision opens.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQAbRIggNPZ/

Thank you, Frank.

Back
Top Bottom